Why Is Gun Violence Worse in the US than Other Countries?

TheDeuce

What specific freedoms do we have that "allow" these types of things to occur that other nations like Japan, Australia, England, etc, don't have?

Greater freedoms in the right to possess and carry firearms. Right in the first post in regards to accessibility.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comparison to other countries doesn't have to be the main or even first point of comparison. But to ignore the fact that other countries have less gun related violence, and refuse to research why that is the case is blatantly irresponsible. It's the "fingers in the ears" approach that many have when discussing gun reform. We are doing something wrong, why would we not exhaust every resource to improve on what's happening here?

We agree on the importance of exhausting every resource to improve on what's happening here and that collectively we are using "the fingers in the ears" approach.

And, I do not mean to imply the issue raised in your OP is unimportant. I am pointing out that we have yet to answer the one question that will most likely get to the fundamental issues as to why we are having so much gun violence in general and school shootings in particular.

What changed in this country that many more people are willing to kill a fellow human being, even strangers who did them no harm? We have always been a gun culture. I didn't know a person/family who did not own at least one gun where I grew up. That was true all over America then. Yet, we didn't have near the gun violence and school shootings were completely unknown. Why the difference between then and now?

That is the question that deserves the #1 priority, IMO, because it holds the most promise to diffuse the underlying causes instead of just treating the symptoms. Arming teachers, banning certain guns, building a fortress around the school are all ways of treating the symptoms. Understanding what has led to a culture in which more and more people are willing to act violently may lead to ideas to reverse the trend and cure the heart of the issue. Take away a gun from a violent person and they will find another way to do damage while acting violently. Change their heart, and they won't want to act violently any more.

#2 is to compare the US with other places. But again, the emphasis here should be on what factors in their culture (underlying causes) lead to the behavior we see in their country. Most of the time, we are simply looking for an outward mechanism, such as gun confiscation. Another caution in dealing with this question, you add layers of complexity because you are comparing apples to oranges.

This is my only point.

We agree on the importance of exhausting every resource to improve on what's happening here and that collectively we are using "the fingers in the ears" approach.

And, I do not mean to imply the issue raised in your OP is unimportant. I am pointing out that we have yet to answer the one question that will most likely get to the fundamental issues as to why we are having so much gun violence in general and school shootings in particular.

What changed in this country that many more people are willing to kill a fellow human being, even strangers who did them no harm? We have always been a gun culture. I didn't know a person/family who did not own at least one gun where I grew up. That was true all over America then. Yet, we didn't have near the gun violence and school shootings were completely unknown. Why the difference between then and now?

That is the question that deserves the #1 priority, IMO, because it holds the most promise to diffuse the underlying causes instead of just treating the symptoms. Arming teachers, banning certain guns, building a fortress around the school are all ways of treating the symptoms. Understanding what has led to a culture in which more and more people are willing to act violently may lead to ideas to reverse the trend and cure the heart of the issue. Take away a gun from a violent person and they will find another way to do damage while acting violently. Change their heart, and they won't want to act violently any more.

#2 is to compare the US with other places. But again, the emphasis here should be on what factors in their culture (underlying causes) lead to the behavior we see in their country. Most of the time, we are simply looking for an outward mechanism, such as gun confiscation. Another caution in dealing with this question, you add layers of complexity because you are comparing apples to oranges.

This is my only point.

I agree with what you've said here, as this issue has never been ONLY about guns for me. People who think that are taking a simple-minded approach to it. But I also acknowledge the fact that guns ARE a PART of the issue, and we can also look there for improvements. It will take changes in several areas to change what's happening in our country. Some just don't want to include guns in that discussion.

What changed in this country that many more people are willing to kill a fellow human being, even strangers who did them no harm? We have always been a gun culture.

In my opinion, culture itself changed, and that in part has to do with the media. I know it has been talked about relentlessly, and some people just plain refute it, but television, movies, gaming, and music all contribute to the culture change. However, I think movies and music has more to do with it than gaming.

We have greater freedoms than other countries. Unfortunately freedom always comes at a cost.

I would add that the History of the United States is a more violent history than many. Certainly more violent and aggressive than we are taught.

I think the violence takes different forms throughout that history but it's always under the surface.

Just my 2 cents.

In my opinion, culture itself changed, and that in part has to do with the media. I know it has been talked about relentlessly, and some people just plain refute it, but television, movies, gaming, and music all contribute to the culture change. However, I think movies and music has more to do with it than gaming.

So how do we account for the hundreds of years of history of violence before the current mass media explosions we have?

So how do we account for the hundreds of years of history of violence before the current mass media explosions we have?

I was answering the question of why things have changed since the 1950s in America.

But to answer your question. Some people are more prone to violence than others. That is evident throughout human history. I do think that music/media enhances those thoughts and behaviors or worse condones them. So while violence has always been a part of humanity, in today's culture, we have many things that influence violent behavior.

I was answering the question of why things have changed since the 1950s in America.

But to answer your question. Some people are more prone to violence than others. That is evident throughout human history. I do think that music/media enhances those thoughts and behaviors or worse condones them. So while violence has always been a part of humanity, in today's culture, we have many things that influence violent behavior.

Whereas I would agree that School Shootings weren't that prominent before, Violence in the 20th century was always large.

Our culture, at different times, has bred a de-sensitivity to the harm of others thought of as "less human" or "objects." It's not that new.

See accounts of Rosewood, Florida or Tulsa, OK 1921 and men, women and children were killed, beaten and lynched in mass.

Emmitt Till was only 14.

Charles Whitman was 1965.

Statistics show the peak of gun violence in the US was really in the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's gone down ever since. To me, if it were the media and/or games then why has it gone down in the Video Game era?

Yes, our culture changed due to the cultural revolution of the 1960's. In the wake of that, some good things have occurred. Many not so good things have occurred. Media reflects the cultural change and is a result of those changes. It even reinforces those changes. The breakdown of family is one factor that contributes to many social ills today.

In my opinion by far the biggest media issue we have in this nation is social media and it isn't even close. The dumbing-down of America through the internet and social media is what I am most concerned about. People believe the facts they want to believe and will trust a goofball's blog post over a factual post by a responsible journalist.

Gun violence and gun control issues are a good example. People are very reactionary and get caught up in the social media hype on these issues more than they look at facts to form opinions.

Whereas I would agree that School Shootings weren't that prominent before, Violence in the 20th century was always large.

Our culture, at different times, has bred a de-sensitivity to the harm of others thought of as "less human" or "objects." It's not that new.

See accounts of Rosewood, Florida or Tulsa, OK 1921 and men, women and children were killed, beaten and lynched in mass.

Emmitt Till was only 14.

Charles Whitman was 1965.

Statistics show the peak of gun violence in the US was really in the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's gone down ever since. To me, if it were the media and/or games then why has it gone down in the Video Game era?

Has there been any studies on what is driving the decrease? Someone else had mentioned that NYC has gone down quite a bit.

Media, video games and music is part of the culture of other countries around that world that have none or almost no deaths from shootings. As such, I can't believe that they are as much a factor as others seem to think that they are.

Im not sure other cultures have the amount of violence in their music or media as we do. There have been studies linking behavior with violent music. Not as much with video games.

Here is one such study, although it deals with music videos.

http://library.wcsu.edu/dspace/bitstream/0/35/1/tropeano.pdf