Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Is Gun Violence Worse in the US than Other Countries?

Featured Replies

According to wikipedia the most recent annual data (2013) shows 33,636 gun deaths in the U.S.

 

Breakdown:

 

11,208 homicides

21,175 suicides

505 accidental discharge

281 unknown

 

So about 2/3 of gun deaths are suicides.

  • Replies 126
  • Views 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the 5k is just homicides which is on pace for the average.

 

Does that include what went down in Chicago this weekend?

Does that include what went down in Chicago this weekend?

 

I dont know I didn't post the numbers :lol2:

Number of shootings at U.S. K-12 schools is actually down dramatically over the last 10 years. The table below is from the Crime Prevention Research Center (hyperlink provided below). The table displays the number of events, not the number of deaths.

Number of School Shootings Grades K-12

Year School Year Number

25 1992-93 17

24 1993-94 30

23 1994-95 7

22 1995-96 15

21 1996-97 16

20 1997-98 15

19 1998-99 6

18 1999-00 11

17 2000-01 11

16 2001-02 2

15 2002-03 8

14 2003-04 16

13 2004-05 6

12 2005-06 2

11 2006-07 7

10 2007-08 2

9 2008-09 6 Median all years

8 2009-10 6 6

7 2010-11 1 Median last 20 years

6 2011-12 1 6

5 2012-13 3 Median last 15 years

4 2013-14 2 3

3 2014-15 2 Median last 10 years

2 2015-16 2 2

1 2016-17 6 Median last 5 years

2

Total for all years 200

 

Significant reduction in number of shootings over the last 13 years.

 

Source: Crime Prevention Research Center

Information on K-12 and University Shootings Deaths: The number of deaths has been declining over time - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

The problem with comparing the U.S. with other countries is there is a significant difference in populations per country. The Crime Prevention Research Center has adjusted for this by comparing similar size populations. They have done this by comparing the U.S. in total with Europe in total. Also, they compare individual U.S. States with individual European countries.

 

Their findings show that the number of mass shootings in the U.S. and Europe are about the same.

 

Their full analysis can be found at the following weblink:

https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Europe-v-US-and-US-states.png

Number of shootings at U.S. K-12 schools is actually down dramatically over the last 10 years. The table below is from the Crime Prevention Research Center (hyperlink provided below). The table displays the number of events, not the number of deaths.

Number of School Shootings Grades K-12

Year School Year Number

25 1992-93 17

24 1993-94 30

23 1994-95 7

22 1995-96 15

21 1996-97 16

20 1997-98 15

19 1998-99 6

18 1999-00 11

17 2000-01 11

16 2001-02 2

15 2002-03 8

14 2003-04 16

13 2004-05 6

12 2005-06 2

11 2006-07 7

10 2007-08 2

9 2008-09 6 Median all years

8 2009-10 6 6

7 2010-11 1 Median last 20 years

6 2011-12 1 6

5 2012-13 3 Median last 15 years

4 2013-14 2 3

3 2014-15 2 Median last 10 years

2 2015-16 2 2

1 2016-17 6 Median last 5 years

2

Total for all years 200

 

Significant reduction in number of shootings over the last 13 years.

 

Source: Crime Prevention Research Center

Information on K-12 and University Shootings Deaths: The number of deaths has been declining over time - Crime Prevention Research CenterCrime Prevention Research Center

 

The problem with comparing the U.S. with other countries is there is a significant difference in populations per country. The Crime Prevention Research Center has adjusted for this by comparing similar size populations. They have done this by comparing the U.S. in total with Europe in total. Also, they compare individual U.S. States with individual European countries.

 

Their findings show that the number of mass shootings in the U.S. and Europe are about the same.

 

Their full analysis can be found at the following weblink:

https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Europe-v-US-and-US-states.png

 

Your source here might be a tad bit biased.

I believe there is more freedom of choice in the US than any other country. This leaves the option to make bad choices as well. Additionally, guns are accessible as previously mentioned - legally and illegally. I ponder the answer to the question often: we embrace a lot of violence in our society, movies and video games especially which bear the risk of desensitizing those who watch or participate to violence....just a theory. Our schools need change...I remember bullying episodes from my school days (it was the norm), and I remember them from my children's school days, and some were quite serious. There are also many people who do not have the capability to deal with the issues they may have, but resources for them are scarce starting from childhood on. In many cases, troubled children have parents who are in denial about getting the children help, and/or the parents are creating the issues.

 

I ramble...sorry.

Do you disagree with the facts? Did you look at the source and the detail of the facts or do you just not like the conclusions?

I've read that there is a correlation between out of wedlock births causing increasingly more and more fatherless homes which causes young males in these environments to be many times more likely to engage in criminal behavior, or be a victim of. I think this is one of the important contributing factors but not the sole cause of. I can't fathom the lack of respect for human life. I remember the author pointing out that as the number of fatherless home has risen so has the violence. The numbers on the graph mirrored each other almost perfectly. Could be a coincidence but I tend to believe it has it's effect on the gun violence.

Edited by Fear the Nation

I believe there is more freedom of choice in the US than any other country. This leaves the option to make bad choices as well. Additionally, guns are accessible as previously mentioned - legally and illegally. I ponder the answer to the question often: we embrace a lot of violence in our society, movies and video games especially which bear the risk of desensitizing those who watch or participate to violence....just a theory. Our schools need change...

 

I support some of what you have said. The thing that bothers me the most is the hypocrisy of individuals that have access to microphones or television. For example, how many Hollywood actors argue against violence, yet have made a living of participating in violent movies? Leonardo DiCaprio..... talks a lot about the environment yet probably produces a larger carbon footprint than all the people combined that will read this thread. I fly from canes on private jet to UN just to give speech on environment and then fly back on private jet. I lecture Singapore on the environment while I’m cruising around on my private yacht damaging their coral reef.

 

Just a few examples as this list can be added to for months

 

I make this comment because most of the violence glorified in this country is portrayed by the individuals that are the first to grab a microphone. Do as I say but it’s ok for me to do it because I am important

 

Lastly. I find it pretty telling that we have allowed god to be removed from our public schools and it seems to me that violence has increased. When was the last ti,s we had s mass shooting at a catholic or Christian school?

I support some of what you have said. The thing that bothers me the most is the hypocrisy of individuals that have access to microphones or television. For example, how many Hollywood actors argue against violence, yet have made a living of participating in violent movies? Leonardo DiCaprio..... talks a lot about the environment yet probably produces a larger carbon footprint than all the people combined that will read this thread. I fly from canes on private jet to UN just to give speech on environment and then fly back on private jet. I lecture Singapore on the environment while I’m cruising around on my private yacht damaging their coral reef.

 

Just a few examples as this list can be added to for months

 

I make this comment because most of the violence glorified in this country is portrayed by the individuals that are the first to grab a microphone. Do as I say but it’s ok for me to do it because I am important

 

Lastly. I find it pretty telling that we have allowed god to be removed from our public schools and it seems to me that violence has increased. When was the last ti,s we had s mass shooting at a catholic or Christian school?

 

We have had mass shootings at churches recently. I’m pretty sure God was there.

 

FWIW, God has not been “taken” out of schools. Public Schools and teachers can’t impose their beliefs on students.

 

One of the reasons that private religious schools have fewer school shootings is they only educate about 10 percent of the nation’s students. Of that 10%, we are talking about students who have support at home, are largely successful, and most likely affluent. They would fall in the 70th percentile or higher of a public school student body if they were transplanted.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.