Why Is Gun Violence Worse in the US than Other Countries?

TheDeuce

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had mass shootings at churches recently. I’m pretty sure God was there.

FWIW, God has not been “taken” out of schools. Public Schools and teachers can’t impose their beliefs on students.

One of the reasons that private religious schools have fewer school shootings is they only educate about 10 percent of the nation’s students. Of that 10%, we are talking about students who have support at home, are largely successful, and most likely affluent. They would fall in the 70th percentile or higher of a public school student body if they were transplanted.

The bolded statement aligns with what Fear is saying. It's the thing we don't talk much about. The correlation between fatherless homes and many social ills is staggering. What has happened to the family since the 60's is an epidemic but somehow in the national conversation on mass shootings and gun violence (and we could throw in poverty, gangs, drugs, and crime in general) this factor seems to be ignored, as if it is not a factor at all.

I thought so too. Seems to be a correlation between the two situations. Not just violence but a lot of factors are tied to fatherless homes. Sad...

Here's another situation that brings causation vs correlation to mind. There's no doubt that "fatherless" homes has some correlation to these situations. However, the article that was linked earlier is so slanted, and has such a clear one sided agenda (which obviously cannot be discussed here), that I don't think it digs nearly deep enough. I don't think that strictly coming from a fatherless home is the root cause. There are likely millions of single parents that are doing a great job raising their kids. Many are even co-parenting with the former spouse/partner very effectively. I see it every day. What has to be looked it in the cases of these mass shooters/murderers (or whatever you want to call them), is ultimately why these home became broken. Often it was because violence, drugs, or any combination of a slew of other reasons existed. It's not necessarily the lack of a father (or mother). It's that these situations were pretty bad to begin with, and often continued to be bad afterwards. Really, can one honestly say that an intact home with a married (or committed couple) that is full of violence and chaos is better than a broken home that is filled with chaos and violence?? I think the reason you see so many products of so called "fatherless" homes committing these acts, is because of situations within that home that ultimately, usually lead to the homes becoming broken in the first place. What's causing these homes to be broken to begin with is ultimately a bigger cause of these events, much more so than the simple fact that a "father" isn't present.

Here's another situation that brings causation vs correlation to mind. There's no doubt that "fatherless" homes has some correlation to these situations. However, the article that was linked earlier is so slanted, and has such a clear one sided agenda (which obviously cannot be discussed here), that I don't think it digs nearly deep enough. I don't think that strictly coming from a fatherless home is the root cause. There are likely millions of single parents that are doing a great job raising their kids. Many are even co-parenting with the former spouse/partner very effectively. I see it every day. What has to be looked it in the cases of these mass shooters/murderers (or whatever you want to call them), is ultimately why these home became broken. Often it was because violence, drugs, or any combination of a slew of other reasons existed. It's not necessarily the lack of a father (or mother). It's that these situations were pretty bad to begin with, and often continued to be bad afterwards. Really, can one honestly say that an intact home with a married (or committed couple) that is full of violence and chaos is better than a broken home that is filled with chaos and violence?? I think the reason you see so many products of so called "fatherless" homes committing these acts, is because of situations within that home that ultimately, usually lead to the homes becoming broken in the first place. What's causing these homes to be broken to begin with is ultimately a bigger cause of these events, much more so than the simple fact that a "father" isn't present.

I came from a fatherless home for the most part and haven't shot up the world or killed anyone so it's definitely not the only factor. I agree that the wrong type of parent or parents is just as bad or worse than the absentee parent. The article did have some slant. I was more interested in the raw statistics. I also read facts about kid's that play sports or are involved in extracurricular activities are less likely to be violent or commit crimes. Studies have shown that these kids perform better in school and life in general. The same study also showed that economically disadvantaged kids are more likely not to play or engage in organized sports or extracurricular activities. These kids have a higher rate of going to jail, dropping out of school, etc. So it obviously seems that parenting or a lack off, absentee parents, economic opportunity, lack of outside interests all can be contributing factors. It's a mountain to climb to fix all this for some kids.

• 2 months later...

previous link

May 31, 18, 12:14 AM #113

True blue (and gold)

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith6971 View Post

The source?

Yes. The website you linked in your previous post. When I went there, your source clearly is extremely biased.

New article with complete data analysis shows that the number of mass shootings in the U.S. and Europe are about the same. The source of your data on mass shootings, Adam Lankford, refuses to release his data. How can you conclude that the source of my data is biased when your source won't even release his data analysis.

John Lott Jr.: Adam Lankford 'botched' study claiming U.S. accounts for one-third of mass shootings - Washington Times