Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Is Gun Violence Worse in the US than Other Countries?

Featured Replies

What’s misleading about the thread title?

 

Well it appears South Africa’s gun violence is worse than the US. The Caribbeans seem to have a high rate of gun violence as well.

Maybe the title should read why is US gun violence higher than some countries but lower than others? Does that help you figure it out?

  • Replies 126
  • Views 28k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Well it appears South Africa’s gun violence is worse than the US. The Caribbeans seem to have a high rate of gun violence as well.

Maybe the title should read why is US gun violence higher than some countries but lower than others? Does that help you figure it out?

 

I didn’t say it was the worst here, I said it was worse here than other places. Post #5:

 

It's not the worst, there are definitely countries experiencing much worse. But it could (and should) be better.

 

U.S. Has 31st Highest Rate Of Gun Violence In The World : Goats and Soda : NPR

I didn’t say it was the worst here, I said it was worse here than other places. Post #5:

 

I thought we were talking about the title of the thread being misleading after I mentioned the very high murder rate in SA? I never mentioned any of your posts?

  • Author
I thought we were talking about the title of the thread being misleading after I mentioned the very high murder rate in SA? I never mentioned any of your posts?

 

The thread title still doesn’t say the US is worse than every other country. Then it’s clarified four posts later. You’re reaching.

Again, what does this due but skew the numbers? Those cities are in the US and their numbers should be counted. Why pick and choose?

I think it could help possibly narrow down the main issues causing it.

According to the CDC information that is dated 5/28

 

Alcohol related deaths 54k

Drug abuse 10k

Druge overdoes 6k

Gun related deaths 4.6k

texting while driving 2.4k

 

Just to name a few... and there are plenty of additional statistics in addition to the few I mentioned. Source; Romans322.com which is a compilation of CDC data.

 

That said, it seems to me that if you really want to impact the death rate in the country. We should really go after Alcohol, driving and drug users (including your recreational marijuana users). Gun related deaths are so statistically insignificant that its really white noise in terms of impact of overall deaths in this country.

 

Of the 4,600 gun related deaths, the one thing I would like to know is how many occurred with illegal guns or stolen guns? I would be will to be that number is a significant percentage of the total.

According to the CDC information that is dated 5/28

 

Alcohol related deaths 54k

Drug abuse 10k

Druge overdoes 6k

Gun related deaths 4.6k

texting while driving 2.4k

 

Just to name a few... and there are plenty of additional statistics in addition to the few I mentioned. Source; Romans322.com which is a compilation of CDC data.

 

That said, it seems to me that if you really want to impact the death rate in the country. We should really go after Alcohol, driving and drug users (including your recreational marijuana users). Gun related deaths are so statistically insignificant that its really white noise in terms of impact of overall deaths in this country.

 

Of the 4,600 gun related deaths, the one thing I would like to know is how many occurred with illegal guns or stolen guns? I would be will to be that number is a significant percentage of the total.

 

Those numbers don’t seem correct?

 

Only 4600 gun related deaths ?

Those numbers don’t seem correct?

 

Only 4600 gun related deaths ?

 

Maybe it's listing homicides.

Maybe it's listing homicides.

 

Still a few thousand short.

 

But gun-related deaths are near 34,000.

 

Also the CDC does not study the effects of gun violence.

Still a few thousand short.

 

But gun-related deaths are near 34,000.

 

Also the CDC does not study the effects of gun violence.

 

I find it hard to believe we are already at 34000 for the year. From what I can find we average about 34000 per year. About 1/3 of those would be homicides. Around 60% are suicides.

 

If we are already at 34k we are on pace to double our average.

 

I never said the CDC studied effects of gun violence.

Those numbers don’t seem correct?

 

Only 4600 gun related deaths ?

 

 

There is another site that lists 5.7k year to date for gunrelated deaths The source is gunviolencearchive.org. I’m not sure of he discrepancy but either way it’s still statistically not even a blip on the radar.

 

What source do you have stating 34k?

I find it hard to believe we are already at 34000 for the year. From what I can find we average about 34000 per year. About 1/3 of those would be homicides. Around 60% are suicides.

 

If we are already at 34k we are on pace to double our average.

 

I never said the CDC studied effects of gun violence.

 

My 34,000 is a yearly average. I left out “yearly.” My mistake.

So we average 34000 and thru almost 5 months we're about 5,000? Either it's going to be way less than average this year or there are a lot more deaths with the coming of summer. I hope it's the former.

How about we dissect our number first before we try to compare it to other countries? Shouldn't we have a really good handle on what makes up our 34,000 before we can really look at solutions?

So we average 34000 and thru almost 5 months we're about 5,000? Either it's going to be way less than average this year or there are a lot more deaths with the coming of summer. I hope it's the former.

 

I think the 5k is just homicides which is on pace for the average.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.