Why Is Gun Violence Worse in the US than Other Countries?

TheDeuce

Is accessibility greater today in the US than it was 50 years ago? Is gun violence greater today than it was 50 years ago?

I'm not sure we could answer the accessibility question with any certainty. I'd have to assume violence is worse today, but without researching it would purely be a guess.

How do those questions relate to the topic at hand?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is accessibility greater today in the US than it was 50 years ago? Is gun violence greater today than it was 50 years ago?

No idea, best guess would be accessibility is tighter today but gun violence is greater. Which would seem counterintuitive.

I'm not sure we could answer the accessibility question with any certainty. I'd have to assume violence is worse today, but without researching it would purely be a guess.

How do those questions relate to the topic at hand?

It was to the point that accessibility is a primary reason. I'm not saying that is wrong just thinking out loud. If accessibility is no greater today than it was 50 years ago and gun violence is higher than it would suggest accessibility is not a primary factor.

It was to the point that accessibility is a primary reason. I'm not saying that is wrong just thinking out loud. If accessibility is no greater today than it was 50 years ago and gun violence is higher than it would suggest accessibility is not a primary factor.

Gotcha.

As I said earlier, I don't know if we could accurately determine the difference in accessibility between now and 50 years ago. What we can do, however, is compare accessibility now in the US to accessibility now globally.

According to this article America doesn't even make the top ten in mass shootings:

But a study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings | Investor's Business Daily

It is an interesting article that covers a lot of the topics we beat around in these threads.

I’m going to take some time to fully read this article before I respond. I am intrigued that they are using rates/percentages as opposed to just the whole numbers.

According to this article America doesn't even make the top ten in mass shootings:

But a study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009 to 2015 by the Crime Prevention Research Center, headed by economist John Lott, shows the U.S. doesn't lead the world in mass shootings. In fact, it doesn't even make the top 10, when measured by death rate per million population from mass public shootings.

So who's tops? Surprisingly, Norway is, with an outlier mass shooting death rate of 1.888 per million (high no doubt because of the rifle assault by political extremist Anders Brevik that claimed 77 lives in 2011). No. 2 is Serbia, at just 0.381, followed by France at 0.347, Macedonia at 0.337, and Albania at 0.206. Slovakia, Finland, Belgium, and Czech Republic all follow. Then comes the U.S., at No. 11, with a death rate of 0.089.

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings | Investor's Business Daily

It is an interesting article that covers a lot of the topics we beat around in these threads.

This particular thread isn't isolated to mass shootings.

I’m going to take some time to fully read this article before I respond. I am intrigued that they are using rates/percentages as opposed to just the whole numbers.

I will be interested to hear what you come up with.

Lack of parenting, and lack of people raising their kids with God as a priority for starters and being raised with no discipline or respect for others.

Some countries that are more violent are more religious and vice versa.

Morals may be an answer, but I don’t buy religion.