Zeke Pike arrested....again!

98NCCalum

6, but who's counting :) I'm thinking he is probably the highest profile HS athlete in NKY over the last decade or so (or at least top 3), from a well known family. Given his high profile, and long history of trouble, it's not surprising that it's made the news. Especially given the coverage that his "turnaround" got just a little over a year ago. But given the only coverage that I can find online is coming from the NKY Tribune, (which is a small, local, newspaper) I'd say this really hasn't been huge news.

I'd agree that this isn't "huge" news, but I have seen online coverage from the NKY Tribune, Cincinnati Channel 12 News, KY Spectrum News (I think that's operating in Louisville), and KyForward.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if blind eye is the correct term, but I do think the CCH administrators have obviously already ignored some very obvious warning signs that were screaming to not have this young man on the sidelines coaching their students. And it's not like they could say they couldn't anticipate this as a completely possible, or even probable outcome. I don't get that move in the first place, but hey, it must have been "neat" to see one of your football players have his big brother on the sideline coaching him. Let's just not concern ourselves with those pesky felonies on his record. Besides, he's got his whole "Zeke Speaks" Number Eight Ministries going, right? Those speaking engagements were all court-ordered as a term of Zeke's probation, by the way.

I don't see how they can possibly retain him as a coach, first and foremost because Zeke is virtually guaranteed to be headed back behind bars now due to this violation of the terms of his probation. Additionally, well, it would seem pretty criminally dumb as a school to hire him back, at least as far as I can see it.

Where do you get your info on the speaking engagements being court ordered?

Addiction is such a messed up thing. It can be so difficult to distance oneself from the roller coaster of bad habits. Even if clean for a while, that demon can come back to bite in weak vulnerable moments, and after numerous failed attempts can also have one doubting themselves if they'll ever truly be able to get it together.

For his sake, and anyone else dealing with addiction, hopefully they can once and for all get it together, and move on in life to better and brighter things.

Sadly, not everyone seems to be able to, but to finally lick it, it's crucial to distance oneself for an extremely lengthy period of time from the harmful stimulus, and so much that you can't even see that old messed up guy in the rear view mirror anymore because the new, more mature, and promising one has long replaced him.

Still it's possible even for someone who has repeatedly goofed up. One thing for certain though is that he stays away from folks who want to reinforce in his mind that he's a loser, because while they understandably can't help themselves from being judgy and doubting him from his repeated past missteps, he's not being done any favors in trying to get on track with a steady earful that only stands the chance of making him continue to doubt himself.

Ultimately though, it's not their fault and he's responsible for his own actions, and he'll have to come to a decision all on his own to stay the course to recovery, and in doing so along with keeping good positive supportive company, it would be tremendously helpful to find a dream big and impenetrable enough that any temptations of his past dream-stealing habits can't break him.

I'd like nothing more than to hear one day that he has successfully pulled it together. He's still young, and hopefully a more mature and focused guy is soon to surface. I have seen success stories before like this even within my own family, so I've got nothing to lose in believing that it's still possible.

I don't know if blind eye is the correct term, but I do think the CCH administrators have obviously already ignored some very obvious warning signs that were screaming to not have this young man on the sidelines coaching their students. And it's not like they could say they couldn't anticipate this as a completely possible, or even probable outcome. I don't get that move in the first place, but hey, it must have been "neat" to see one of your football players have his big brother on the sideline coaching him. Let's just not concern ourselves with those pesky felonies on his record. Besides, he's got his whole "Zeke Speaks" Number Eight Ministries going, right? Those speaking engagements were all court-ordered as a term of Zeke's probation, by the way.

I don't see how they can possibly retain him as a coach, first and foremost because Zeke is virtually guaranteed to be headed back behind bars now due to this violation of the terms of his probation. Additionally, well, it would seem pretty criminally dumb as a school to hire him back, at least as far as I can see it.

My guess is, just a guess here. That a lot of the Cov Cath parents either didn't know he was coaching or his full background. I believe now they will and as a result, Zeke is gone.

Dude needs help. I don't see him getting it in KY, that's just my personal opinion.

My guess is, just a guess here. That a lot of the Cov Cath parents either didn't know he was coaching or his full background. I believe now they will and as a result, Zeke is gone.

Dude needs help. I don't see him getting it in KY, that's just my personal opinion.

I can’t imagine anyone who even remotely follows NKY High School football, wouldn’t have any idea who Zeke Pike is and at least some of his history. I’d be shocked if less than 90% of Cov Cath football parents weren’t aware of his history and the fact that he was coaching. The fact of the matter is Zeke is like many addicts, especially those who are still functioning well in society. He’s charming and charismatic, and has the ability to fool a lot of people, and obviously he fooled the folks at Cov Cath, not to mention the thousands of students and school administrators he’s spoken to over the last year.

The only question I have is how he was able to pass a background check that I would expect is required for him in order to coach.

I can’t imagine anyone who even remotely follows NKY High School football, wouldn’t have any idea who Zeke Pike is and at least some of his history. I’d be shocked if less than 90% of Cov Cath football parents weren’t aware of his history and the fact that he was coaching. The fact of the matter is Zeke is like many addicts, especially those who are still functioning well in society. He’s charming and charismatic, and has the ability to fool a lot of people, and obviously he fooled the folks at Cov Cath, not to mention the thousands of students and school administrators he’s spoken to over the last year.

The only question I have is how he was able to pass a background check that I would expect is required for him in order to coach.

Believe it or not, the KHSAA rules (and KRS) on that state that they have to submit to a background check, thats it, submit to one, doesn't say anything disqualifies a candidate. Disqualifications due to background check are a school district by school district decision.

Now under the KRS for School Employee's there is this:

"No superintendent shall employ in any position in the district any person who is a

violent offender or has been convicted of a sex crime as defined by KRS 17.165

which is classified as a felony. The superintendent may employ, at his discretion,

persons convicted of sex crimes classified as a misdemeanor."

I hear ya, but I also know several parents who sent their kids to other states for rehab. The hope was that a fresh start away from old friends who would be bad temptations would help them stay clean. Unfortunately, their problems went with them.

I truly don’t know what works. Only recovering addicts do I guess.

I hear ya, but I also know several parents who sent their kids to other states for rehab. The hope was that a fresh start away from old friends who would be bad temptations would help them stay clean. Unfortunately, their problems went with them.

I truly don’t know what works. Only recovering addicts do I guess.

I've talked to many many addicts and I believe you're familiar as well. They have to really want it or it won't happen. I've seen a lot of success with those that truly wanted it and went away. Gives them a chance to recreate who they are and what their about. But ship someone off that isn't looking for that, yea, you'll waste a lot of money and time.

I'm hoping Zeke gets it together, he's just gotta want it too.

I truly believe that CovCath saw this coaching opportunity as a way to help Pike. Give him a reason to keep busy, get some self fulfillment. I woul have to assume they knew his past and thought they could help him. I 100% agree with them terminating him.

I know zero about Pike off the field (other than the obvious), but I've been around NKY football since 1996. I've been around Pee Wee to Varsity football since 2003. In that time I have seen 1000's of players and few that carried the Hype (imo undeserved) that Pike has in that time. Even when he was playing for the Raiders it was as if he walked on air. My perception was then and now, is that people were afraid to tell him NO bc of who his father is and started becoming his enablers. In high school the way he talked to all his coaches, including Spritzky would get him put on the bench most anywhere else. My question is, is he being enabled by his parents? family? or is he just a person that no one can help?

I truly believe that CovCath saw this coaching opportunity as a way to help Pike. Give him a reason to keep busy, get some self fulfillment. I woul have to assume they knew his past and thought they could help him. I 100% agree with them terminating him.

I know zero about Pike off the field (other than the obvious), but I've been around NKY football since 1996. I've been around Pee Wee to Varsity football since 2003. In that time I have seen 1000's of players and few that carried the Hype (imo undeserved) that Pike has in that time. Even when he was playing for the Raiders it was as if he walked on air. My perception was then and now, is that people were afraid to tell him NO bc of who his father is and started becoming his enablers. In high school the way he talked to all his coaches, including Spritzky would get him put on the bench most anywhere else. My question is, is he being enabled by his parents? family? or is he just a person that no one can help?

There’s probably plenty of blame to spread around for enabling him. And I know his dad takes a lot of heat and criticism for Zeke and his troubles. But sometimes troubled people have great parents and great people can come from terrible parents. Zeke’s dad isn’t always the most outgoing and social person around, but my son absolutely loved playing for him, and he’s great with kids. And for what it’s worth, Zeke was alway great with the younger kids too, and was always around helping out at times with his younger brothers teams. So much so, I still struggle with how that Zeke and the one with the long arrest record are the same person.

There’s probably plenty of blame to spread around for enabling him. And I know his dad takes a lot of heat and criticism for Zeke and his troubles. But sometimes troubled people have great parents and great people can come from terrible parents. Zeke’s dad isn’t always the most outgoing and social person around, but my son absolutely loved playing for him, and he’s great with kids. And for what it’s worth, Zeke was alway great with the younger kids too, and was always around helping out at times with his younger brothers teams. So much so, I still struggle with how that Zeke and the one with the long arrest record are the same person.

Very true.

I know a few kids who had great loving supportive parents. The kids themselves were also good kids. They still became victims of addiction. I don’t understand it and probably never will, but I know the power it has over some people. These kids blew chance after chance too, acquired arrest records, and now two are dead.

Zeke’s past includes a lot of hype and the “walks on water” syndrome. Very likely he did get away with more because of it. Still, his addiction is a separate issue IMO. It probably is made much worse because he blew several chances that most young men would sell their souls to get. He knows that better than anyone.

Clearly, he was not the perfect kid, but somewhere in there was the nice kid you remember.