BGP QOTD: Has Facebook been a good thing for America?

PP1

Has Facebook been a good thing for America?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Has Facebook been a good thing for America?

Facebook was awesome when it started. You had to have a .edu email address to sign up for an account, so when it was originally geared towards college-age students it was actually fun to be on. Now it's nothing but babies, dogs, and political propaganda.

As opposed to you intelligent young folks who take pictures of your food?

IMO, Facebook is what you make of it. I enjoy getting updates from people I haven’t seen in years. I defriend people who go on rants too often.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO, Facebook is what you make of it. I enjoy getting updates from people I haven’t seen in years. I defriend people who go on rants too often.

As Grant said, Facebook is my third or fourth option for social media these days, so you all can have it. :lol2: If it weren't for promoting certain events I would never use it.

Facebook was awesome when it started. You had to have a .edu email address to sign up for an account, so when it was originally geared towards college-age students it was actually fun to be on. Now it's nothing but babies, dogs, and political propaganda.

I'm not disagreeing as I've never been a fan of facebook. However, what was on it when it was geared to college students that was so much better than it is now?

Of course that was an unsustainable business model anyway so it really is a moot point.

I deleted my Facebook account about 6 years ago. Haven't had the urge to reactivate it once. It absolutely brings out the worst of people IMO.

Definitely has had a negative impact on society IMO.

To each his own, I guess. I use FB daily, and it has been great for me, to keep in touch with friends and family. For someone like me who lives 600 miles away from where I grew up and spent the first 28 years of my life, it's a great tool. I had lost touch with many people until FB came on the scene. While I have had, and do have some folks that use it for political rants, it's really easy to simply block or remove them from my timeline. I'm really hard pressed though to believe it brings out the worst in people. It might make those folks more visible, but no way does it make most people worse. FB has certainly brought a lot of joy to my life.

Id much rather see pictures of peoples food on instagram than the crap that constantly comes across my Facebook feed.

I would not. Facebook starts expecting payment and I'll delete my account.
I agree and I think most people would agree as well. Which is kind of my point. I hear people complain all the time about the ads but at the same time wouldn't pay for an account.

Basically for me, Facebook wasn’t fun anymore once my entire family was on there. Part of the reason Facebook was because it was just your friends. I didn’t have to censor myself. Now my family is on there and it’s not the same. I’m not going to talk politics or anything on Facebook because I know someone in my family will inevitably disagree with me and it’s not worth the hassle.