BGP QOTD: Has Facebook been a good thing for America?

PP1

Has Facebook been a good thing for America?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Has Facebook been a good thing for America?

Interesting discussion I had the other day. Has Facebook been a good thing for America? I can't figure out how to add a poll so open discussion should be interesting.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I think the overall impact has yet to been seen but we are creating a society of egomaniacs. Everyone does it at times unfortunately, guilty as charged. You know what pictures to post to get likes and what to say in a status to get attention. The lives of others you see on Facebook is typically not reality.

I’d say yes. Other than BGP good place to get updates on friends especially since I fired the newspaper.

I’d say no based upon the stupid posts people make.

Overall I’ll vote yes.

No, I think the overall impact has yet to been seen but we are creating a society of egomaniacs. Everyone does it at times unfortunately, guilty as charged. You know what pictures to post to get likes and what to say in a status to get attention. The lives of others you see on Facebook is typically not reality.

I lean this way as well.

First Bolded: The egomaniacs were already there before facebook. FB just gives them a platform to feed their need.

I say no, but I’m quite biased against it anyway.

Ultimately, in general I’m not certain social media has been fantastic for our world in general. It really depends on the type. I’ve always loved forums, which allow for longform discourse. Facebook and others have a much higher incidence of echo chambering. Facebook’s greatest sin comes in manipulating what is higher on your feed, or hidden altogether.

Hummm...ALL social media collectively has been a net negative for society I think. With that said I have come to find enjoyment in Facebook over the past year or so, but there really are a lot of people that probably shouldn't be on it.

I'm going with no as well.

The thought of putting my life out there for others to see who aren't in my inner circle is not something that I'd ever want. BGP is the closest thing to social media that i have. I went through a short stint with Facebook. Life is absolutely better without it.