Mason Faulkner has been released from NKU

DukeDog

HoopJunkies name should be Voice of Reason.

I hope Mason and Carson both go somewhere they can have their big games and accomplish all of the personal goals they hope to accomplish.

So no one wants to voice an opinion. That's ok. I will let it go. I don't want anything negative reflected on the players leaving, which could happen if I keep pushing the discussion. So we will say both of these players would have been important players for NKU, possibly even starters, but they did not like the role Brannen told them they would fill next year. Does that sum it up properly?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So no one wants to voice an opinion. That's ok. I will let it go. I don't want anything negative reflected on the players leaving, which could happen if I keep pushing the discussion. So we will say both of these players would have been important players for NKU, possibly even starters, but they did not like the role Brannen told them they would fill next year. Does that sum it up properly?
Pretty much.

• 2 weeks later...

When a friends daughter was being recruited a coach told her "the biggest difference between D1 and D2 is that at the D2 level coaches look to replace their seniors and at D1 they just look for the best." I've never heard a truer statement.

I think Carson and Mason both came from programs that revolved around them and it's hard to adjust to that change when you go to a D1 school. As funny as it sounds a lot of kids don't understand that when you make it to college EVERY player was the best player on their high school team. Add to that parents who can't understand why their kid isn't the superstar anymore, the pressure builds up. There are a ton of transfers every year and my guess would be that only in a small fraction of those is there actually room to blame someone... Most of the time it just doesn't work out, and when you're a kid who has worked their whole life in a sport and that all culminates to a 4-year college career it's easy to understand why they think leaving is necessary. Best of luck to both boys in the future and best of luck to NKU!

When a friends daughter was being recruited a coach told her "the biggest difference between D1 and D2 is that at the D2 level coaches look to replace their seniors and at D1 they just look for the best." I've never heard a truer statement.

I think Carson and Mason both came from programs that revolved around them and it's hard to adjust to that change when you go to a D1 school. As funny as it sounds a lot of kids don't understand that when you make it to college EVERY player was the best player on their high school team. Add to that parents who can't understand why their kid isn't the superstar anymore, the pressure builds up. There are a ton of transfers every year and my guess would be that only in a small fraction of those is there actually room to blame someone... Most of the time it just doesn't work out, and when you're a kid who has worked their whole life in a sport and that all culminates to a 4-year college career it's easy to understand why they think leaving is necessary. Best of luck to both boys in the future and best of luck to NKU!

Each situation is different I think. And I also don't think it all falls on the kid. A lot of these kids need development. To have a chance to come in and be brought along at a pace that can make them the best that they can be in the end. What is happening a lot of more times than not is that the college coach more-less passes by a kid that maybe isn't where they need to be in their first couple of seasons. And move on to the next great thing. Some coaches have the luxury to develop talent, some don't...some take the time to develop that talent and some don't. Some need to win right now and development may go out the window. This could be a reason, in addition to the sometimes entitled kid, that transfer rates are so high. But to always blame the kid I don't think is fair without having all the facts.....IMO

Each situation is different I think. And I also don't think it all falls on the kid. A lot of these kids need development. To have a chance to come in and be brought along at a pace that can make them the best that they can be in the end. What is happening a lot of more times than not is that the college coach more-less passes by a kid that maybe isn't where they need to be in their first couple of seasons. And move on to the next great thing. Some coaches have the luxury to develop talent, some don't...some take the time to develop that talent and some don't. Some need to win right now and development may go out the window. This could be a reason, in addition to the sometimes entitled kid, that transfer rates are so high. But to always blame the kid I don't think is fair without having all the facts.....IMO

IMO, if a coach has a longterm perspective about his program vs. his immediate next career step, I think you mold quality players from the former high school "me" into the next level "we". It is a transition that takes a coach's conscious, focused time and effort. Brannen appears to have come up short with Williams and Faulkner and both of these guys are quality kids with warrior work ethics. Shortcoming - yes, but both could have been major competitors as upperclassmen. Very concerning to me that Brannen is viewing things shortterm and gearing toward the next move.

IMO, if a coach has a longterm perspective about his program vs. his immediate next career step, I think you mold quality players from the former high school "me" into the next level "we". It is a transition that takes a coach's conscious, focused time and effort. Brannen appears to have come up short with Williams and Faulkner and both of these guys are quality kids with warrior work ethics. Shortcoming - yes, but both could have been major competitors as upperclassmen. Very concerning to me that Brannen is viewing things shortterm and gearing toward the next move.

Lots of assumptions in this post...

And let's say that he is gearing towards his next move. As a NKU alum and fan, that should be something I applaud because that means he's having success while NKU's coach.

If a coach recruits over certain players because he found others that fit better in his program, that's part of the deal with college basketball. I don't fault a coach at all for that. I also don't fault the player if they decide to transfer.

A coach is responsible for wins and championships. A player is responsible for going somewhere they are comfortable, enjoy their experience, and get there degree. No one is at fault here, so I don't know why we keep pretending someone is.

And let's say that he is gearing towards his next move. As a NKU alum and fan, that should be something I applaud because that means he's having success while NKU's coach.

If a coach recruits over certain players because he found others that fit better in his program, that's part of the deal with college basketball. I don't fault a coach at all for that. I also don't fault the player if they decide to transfer.

A coach is responsible for wins and championships. A player is responsible for going somewhere they are comfortable, enjoy their experience, and get there degree. No one is at fault here, so I don't know why we keep pretending someone is.

Because Williams and Faulkner are KY kids so everyone has to immediately blame someone for them leaving an in-state school. Ironically enough, they're choosing to blame another KY guy...:idunno:

A coach only gets 12 chances per year to get it right. I can see he may take players that he does not 100% want or may want to give a chance to, because he may not have been able to get his top pick. If he is able to improve the squad, he has the ability to make that decision. The schollys are 1 year renewable. The player may have had many offers and could have chosen a different route if he wanted. The marriage didnt’ work out. Move on and find a new home.

And I do love @ladyluck comment abut replacing players not seniors.

Sometimes it’s just not a great fit. Additionally, life comes at you fast when you turn 18 and get into the real world. That’s not always a perfect transition. Hopefully Mason finds a good fit and can enjoy his college years.

Understand your rationale; however, I choose to follow Jay Wright's philosophy at Villanova. His success has come through molding and selling individual players into total "We and Team" first and Me filling that role. Even Coach Cal annually has to spend the first half the season changing the Me into We. Tough job, but longterm it appears more and more upperclassmen appear critical to a college team's success today.

Understand your rationale; however, I choose to follow Jay Wright's philosophy at Villanova. His success has come through molding and selling individual players into total "We and Team" first and Me filling that role. Even Coach Cal annually has to spend the first half the season changing the Me into We. Tough job, but longterm it appears more and more upperclassmen appear critical to a college team's success today.

Why does someone have to be at fault? Why can't it just be it didn't work out, and it wasn't a good fit?

I'm willing to bet that coach didn't tell Mason's parents that when he sat in their living room as their son was about to make one of the most important decisions in his life. It's got to be more to coaching these kids that are leaving home for the first time. I understand winning is important but developing these young men is important also. I don't have any insight on Mason's or Carson's situation. It may just be that both sides mutually parted ways.

I'm willing to bet that coach didn't tell Mason's parents that when he sat in their living room as their son was about to make one of the most important decisions in his life. It's got to be more to coaching these kids that are leaving home for the first time. I understand winning is important but developing these young men is important also. I don't have any insight on Mason's or Carson's situation. It may just be that both sides mutually parted ways.

Again, why does someone have to be to blame? It didn't work out, simple as that.

And that's great if a coach sees his primary responsibility as developing young men. Unfortunately, they won't last long in coaching if they don win. Just the way it is.