Mason Faulkner has been released from NKU

DukeDog

I'm willing to bet that coach didn't tell Mason's parents that when he sat in their living room as their son was about to make one of the most important decisions in his life. It's got to be more to coaching these kids that are leaving home for the first time. I understand winning is important but developing these young men is important also. I don't have any insight on Mason's or Carson's situation. It may just be that both sides mutually parted ways.

I'm willing to bet that he didn't either. He shouldn't have to though. This is Division 1 basketball.

His job is to win games. Players job is to buy into what the coach is doing to help win games. If they coach and player begin to have difference of opinion, no one is at fault when the player transfers. Its just what happens.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, why does someone have to be to blame? It didn't work out, simple as that.

And that's great if a coach sees his primary responsibility as developing young men. Unfortunately, they won't last long in coaching if they don win. Just the way it is.

I don't think its a primary responsibility; but it should be part of the equation. Winning is the ultimate goal. But there has to be a balancing act I think

I'm willing to bet that he didn't either. He shouldn't have to though. This is Division 1 basketball.

His job is to win games. Players job is to buy into what the coach is doing to help win games. If they coach and player begin to have difference of opinion, no one is at fault when the player transfers. Its just what happens.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that winning is important. Maybe both sides decided to part ways mutually. I still think there has to be more to coaching young men other than jockeying them to win games.

And who's to say he didn't develop them as men? Why make the assumption that he didn't?

You're 100% correct. I don't have a clue about this situation. That was just a blanket statement in general. Good luck to Mason, Carson and NKU

Again, why does someone have to be to blame? It didn't work out, simple as that.

And that's great if a coach sees his primary responsibility as developing young men. Unfortunately, they won't last long in coaching if they don win. Just the way it is.

I agree on your statement, coaches are paid to win games at the D1 level. But does it become harder to recruit if a coach has the reputation of burning and turning kids? It's not like NKU is a one and done program.

And for the Record I'm not saying this is what is going on with coach Brannen, just asking a question.

Yeah, I'm not arguing that winning is important. Maybe both sides decided to part ways mutually. I still think there has to be more to coaching young men other than jockeying them to win games.

I'd say that they are not mutually exclusive. However at the end of the day, you're evaluated on winning and not if you grew their characters (as long as there aren't a lot of grade issues and trouble with the law).

I agree on your statement, coaches are paid to win games at the D1 level. But does it become harder to recruit if a coach has the reputation of burning and turning kids? It's not like NKU is a one and done program.

And for the Record I'm not saying this is what is going on with coach Brannen, just asking a question.

It's a reputation that you probably don't want. 2-3 seasons of him losing key contributors, then we might have a problem. These are still NKU's growing pains.

I think Faulkner and Williams leaving does raise questions about Brannen. These are kids he recruited hard to the program and things went sour awful fast. Add on rumors that there are one or two others who would like to leave and it has to raise questions about the coach.

Are there questions about Cal? He's had plenty of guys transfer out that he's recruited hard. Are there questions about Coach K? He's had plenty of guys transfer out.

I think Faulkner and Williams leaving does raise questions about Brannen. These are kids he recruited hard to the program and things went sour awful fast. Add on rumors that there are one or two others who would like to leave and it has to raise questions about the coach.

Yep,,Always better to lay a foundation before building upward.

Are there questions about Cal? He's had plenty of guys transfer out that he's recruited hard. Are there questions about Coach K? He's had plenty of guys transfer out.

Apples and oranges in my opinion. I wonder how many mid-major and smaller programs are losing players in this fashion. I think even if you are a huge Brannen supporter these two defections should make you scratch your head a little. Time will tell over the next couple seasons and we see who comes in and how the team does. And that statement is not a projection of demise. I want to see the program be better over the next couple of years and I am rooting for more success. However, if they aren't better it raises even more questions.

Apples and oranges in my opinion. I wonder how many mid-major and smaller programs are losing players in this fashion. I think even if you are a huge Brannen supporter these two defections should make you scratch your head a little. Time will tell over the next couple seasons and we see who comes in and how the team does. And that statement is not a projection of demise. I want to see the program be better over the next couple of years and I am rooting for more success. However, if they aren't better it raises even more questions.

There's almost 1,000 transfers a year. That comes out to an average of roughly 3 players each season per school. I'd say almost every program loses guys each season.

There's almost 1,000 transfers a year. That comes out to an average of roughly 3 players each season per school. I'd say almost every program loses guys each season.

The number of transfers is staggering. I read it was about 900 in 2017 and , thus far, it's 500 for 2018 and school isn't out yet.