Mason Faulkner has been released from NKU

DukeDog

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams and Faulkner leaving is not a good look for Brannen. Both are KY kids and were playing a lot of minutes. Other in-state kids should think twice before signing. I think these two leaving sends a message about Brannen's loyalty, that he will recruit over you. I know he is trying to raise their profile but it's not like these kids weren't producing. For goodness sake Williams had 21 and 9 against UK in the NCAA tourney as a freshman and followed that up with a solid sophomore year.

Williams and Faulkner leaving is not a good look for Brannen. Both are KY kids and were playing a lot of minutes. Other in-state kids should think twice before signing. I think these two leaving sends a message about Brannen's loyalty, that he will recruit over you. I know he is trying to raise their profile but it's not like these kids weren't producing. For goodness sake Williams had 21 and 9 against UK in the NCAA tourney as a freshman and followed that up with a solid sophomore year.

Having attended every home game, and watched most others, I can assure you that neither showed much, if any, improvements this season from their freshman season.

Where they're from should be irrelevant. You go after and get the best players you can and the ones that fit your system and style best. If that means recruiting over guys, then so be it.

Both of these guys were set to be juniors. If juniors are worried about freshman coming in and taking their spots, well, that's not a good sign.

Having attended every home game, and watched most others, I can assure you that neither showed much, if any, improvements this season from their freshman season.

Where they're from should be irrelevant. You go after and get the best players you can and the ones that fit your system and style best. If that means recruiting over guys, then so be it.

Both of these guys were set to be juniors. If juniors are worried about freshman coming in and taking their spots, well, that's not a good sign.

This post is spot on. People get way too caught up in the "Kentucky kid" factor. While it is always nice to see Kentucky kids get a shot at in state schools, Brannen's job is to win games. If he doesn't he will be out of a job. A coach should always recruit the best kids possible that they have a chance to land, no matter where they are from.

If a coach isn't trying to get the best players he can get every year, then he isn't doing his job. A player is only recruited "over" if the guy coming in preforms better than him. Don't want to lose playing time to a new recruit? Then be better than he is, period, and make the coach HAVE to play you over him. It's how teams get better.

People overvaluing local kids. A tradition like no other.

Wow. That is a lot more transfers than I ever would have guessed. With that many transfers happening Is there really a problem with the transfer rule?

Little over 2 per team per year.

That number does seem high, wonder what all is considered a transfer. Dropping out, failing out, not getting the scholarship renewed.

Williams was not a good fit at NKU from the start. He works hard and is a good rebounder, but he is a 6'5" post player. He hasn't developed any kind of perimeter game and is guarded accordingly by opponents. He is good driving and slashing to the basket but that disappears when the defense sags so much on him.

I like Carson but, in my opinion, he's going to be a role player at this level.

I think Mason would have been successful but his role wasn't what he wanted it to be. As noted above, he comes from a small program where he took 40 shots a game and was a prolific scorer. That's not what NKU needs from him.

If the players are not happy with their role, it can be a problem having them around. I think they'll miss Mason and it leaves them short at PG, but I don't think either leaving will create a problem they won't overcome with the incoming players.