2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mirai Nagasu maybe should've been passed over again for a spot on the US Figure Skating team....

"This Was My Audition for Dancing with the Stars"

Nagasu fell back on her stellar performance in the team event, which helped the U.S. secure a bronze, and said she considered that medal her main objective at these Olympics.

"I saved the team event with Adam [Rippon] and the Shibutanis. We were about to lose our medal," she said. "So today I put my medal in my pocket and I said, 'Mirai, you've done your job already. This is all just icing.'"

Really got a kick out of the Czech girl, Ester Ledecka who won gold in the women's Super-G downhill ski and didn't realize that she had. To make it even better she's really a snowboarder who was using borrowed skis to accomplish it. While all of the other girls were intently competitive in the event, she comes along late in the competition and skis like it was just a walk in the park, and then looks dumbfounded when she's informed that she had won, and was certain that it was all just a mistake. :lol2: One of the best highlights of the whole Olympics.

Czech Ester Ledecka made history being the first woman to win gold in two different winter olympics events. After shocking the field (and even herself) last week in the Super G downhill, she comes back to take the gold in her first sport of downhill snowboard racing.

Incredible. :thumb:

How did the Biathalon become a sport. Let's go skiing, but bring our rifle. I was fascinated by it last night.

Lol, I talk about that EVERY TIME the Winter Olympics cycle around. Apparently it was a military training activity in one of the Scandinavian countries.

I was trying to figure out the biathlon with a friend while watching it at our local. It occurred to us that this might have roots in primal hunter-gatherer techniques? Track prey over long distances; then have the nerves, steady hand and breath control to finish it off.

We thought today's high tech Olympic version and biathlon athletes were impressive. :watching:

Lol, I talk about that EVERY TIME the Winter Olympics cycle around. Apparently it was a military training activity in one of the Scandinavian countries.

Agree that it had to do with some earlier military training and national protection. (I recall reading a fictional book and it was about fleeing the Nazis.)

Enjoyed watching speedskater Shanni Davis. Several Olympic appearances, holds the Olympic record in an event from years ago, in 2006, he was the first Black man to win an individual gold medal, and he shows up again at age 35, and places in the top 10!

Edited by hoops5

More than training. It was part of how the Finns outmaneuvered the Soviets for so long during WW2.

Prior to that war, the Olympic event was actually called “Military Patrol” and included not only the cross country and rifle, but also a portion called “ski mountaineering”. It’s like downhill skiing... except the opposite. Still a big hobby sport in Scandinavia. Looks exhausting.

Anyone see the video of the Canadian womens hockey player who yanked her silver medal as soon as it was placed around her neck? Someone needs to tell Jocelyne Larocque that there are a LOTTTTTTTTT of Olympians who work every bit as hard as she did who don't ever even get a sniff at an Olympic medal...

ezgif-1-48b89a6ac1.gif

They’d won four straight gold medals. Silver isn’t acceptable to them. I’m truthfully not that bothered by it.