School Shooting At Marshall County High School

Has there been a mass shooting at a venue that has metal detectors? Never really gave it much thought. The shootings have happened in several schools that do not have detectors? Can’t put a value on someone’s life, but I also don’t want to have a body cavity search every where I go.

Yes, there have been multiple shootings where there was a metal detector. Several at courthouses. There was a mass shooting at a high school in MN where shooter killed 5 students. There were two unarmed guards. He killed one as he entered and the other one was able to escape uninjured.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officers are not superheroes. Our SRO is spread thin between policing the parking lot and school. A gunman would have no trouble completing tons of mayhem by the time the officer made from one side of the school to the other. I say that and I believe our SRO does a great job. He just ain’t Superman.

I know these things come down to money. IF we lived in a perfect world these social media companies that allow minors on their sites creating an explosion of 24/7 bullying would chip in.

Of course gun companies should too, but...nevermind I said that.

Officers are not superheroes. Our SRO is spread thin between policing the parking lot and school. A gunman would have no trouble completing tons of mayhem by the time the officer made from one side of the school to the other. I say that and I believe our SRO does a great job. He just ain’t Superman.

I know these things come down to money. IF we lived in a perfect world these social media companies that allow minors on their sites creating an explosion of 24/7 bullying would chip in.

Of course gun companies should too, but...nevermind I said that.

What does a teacher make compared to an SRO? It seems like Ohio teachers are in the $55-$60 range now or is that just my district?

What does a teacher make compared to an SRO? It seems like Ohio teachers are in the $55-$60 range now or is that just my district?

It varies greatly, based on years of experience and certification. It also varies by district. I'm going to put a link to the salary scale for my district. We tend to be in the middle of the pack overall.

https://www.oldham.kyschools.us/index.php/component/easyfolderlistingpro/?view=download&format=raw&data=eNpNjmEOgjAMhe_SE7BoEMs1_ElCqhRZMgbZBqLGu1s2iP7a3nv92keoFL495gjtYBp2UHpUBQK_kq46V3ky5J4xUQiTZ5cyHy2EbI_uE_vw23NCqOvorapIqKWeV5khrE-eXFzdQKkxS5BjM1Lo_qaEbbXhnRV5Ybp1W4WD1F3C9hubdrvNy6gd-32xkl0UgmA9W5m-RvcshONZ8yN1Plwi2MHKlc8X9l5Zdg,,

At my district it takes a lot of years and education to get to 55-60k. Not sure about the SRO scale like TB&G said I’m sure it depends on experience and education for them too.

At my district it takes a lot of years and education to get to 55-60k. Not sure about the SRO scale like TB&G said I’m sure it depends on experience and education for them too.

I wish that schools could afford more funding but like you said, security at any level is often reactionary. I wonder if long term were moving to a metal dectector culture.

I wish that schools could afford more funding but like you said, security at any level is often reactionary. I wonder if long term were moving to a metal dectector culture.

They are also a deterrent from the event from ever happening. If its know there are metal detectors and 3 armed officers at all times in the building, it may stop some of these events from happening before they ever start. Not all, but some. Again, what is a life worth.

I don’t see any other way. Too many of us butt heads on the limitations on the 2nd amendment; so much that nothing will ever get done.

I also don’t see social media companies helping on bullying.

The only choice is making schools safer.

Edited by Hellcats
Forgotten e

They are also a deterrent from the event from ever happening. If its know there are metal detectors and 3 armed officers at all times in the building, it may stop some of these events from happening before they ever start. Not all, but some. Again, what is a life worth.

How much you willing to spend and where you going to come up withe money. Remember there are about 98,000 public schools in the US.

How much you willing to spend and where you going to come up withe money. Remember there are about 98,000 public schools in the US.

$20 a person, times 200 million people = 4 trillion dollars, seems like an easy start. Thats roughly 40K per school. Again, what is a life worth.

Considering many of these incidents results in multimillion dollar lawsuits, schools may be ahead by taking the safety measures and eating the cost.