Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

School Shooting At Marshall County High School

Featured Replies

There have been resource officers in middle and high schools down here, since before my kids attended middle school. They are both 42, now. The incidents of weapons found on campus did not reduce until the metal detectors were brought in.

 

With both resource officers and metal detectors in place, weapons still manage to get on campuses. You can only reduce the threat, you cannot eliminate it.

  • Replies 206
  • Views 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been resource officers in middle and high schools down here, since before my kids attended middle school. They are both 42, now. The incidents of weapons found on campus did not reduce until the metal detectors were brought in.

 

With both resource officers and metal detectors in place, weapons still manage to get on campuses. You can only reduce the threat, you cannot eliminate it.

I don't know as though my expectation is that the number of weapons brought into a school go down when a police officer is brought in, but that he or she is there to deal with them (as you said, metal detectors don't eliminate them) and respond to actual shootings. As such, I'd still want the officer before the metal detectors.

I don't know as though my expectation is that the number of weapons brought into a school go down when a police officer is brought in, but that he or she is there to deal with them (as you said, metal detectors don't eliminate them) and respond to actual shootings. As such, I'd still want the officer before the metal detectors.

Agreed. You can always circumvent a metal detector. You need to be able to eliminate the threat as quickly as possible once it starts.

Interesting takes, we want to be able to eliminate the threat, but we dont want to stop the threat from walking through the door.

What’s the aversion to metal detectors?

 

Schools pour out money all the time on stuff that has no bearing on the education of students much less the safety.

I think you guys are misunderstanding the point. No one is saying metal detectors aren't an option. At least for me, if I had one or the other I would go with armed guards before metal detectors.

I have had to enter numerous high and middle schools in both Cleveland, East cleveland and Philadelphia. It would be very difficult to get any weapon in. Extremely. I believe that is why you do not see mass shootings in urban schools, as a rule.

 

Now in the parking lots and streets adjoining they have shootings. I was much more concerned getting out of the rental car in urban areas than in the school. Those schools are the safest I have ever been in and I have been in hundreds, maybe a thousand schools. I have easily been in over 200 in Kentucky alone.

 

Metal detectors are a much better deterrent.

I think you guys are misunderstanding the point. No one is saying metal detectors aren't an option. At least for me, if I had one or the other I would go with armed guards before metal detectors.

Exactly.

There are many high school campuses with multiple buildings. Do you expect metal detectors at every door in every building? I am not against that at all, but then it can get very expensive as you will need to employ someone to work those detectors as each door.

 

(Example Hopkinsville has 4 different buildings, Christian County has 3 different buildings)

My high school in Oxford,Alabama doesn't allow backpacks. Everyone is given a MacBook to use instead of books.

There are many high school campuses with multiple buildings. Do you expect metal detectors at every door in every building? I am not against that at all, but then it can get very expensive as you will need to employ someone to work those detectors as each door.

 

(Example Hopkinsville has 4 different buildings, Christian County has 3 different buildings)

 

On our campus we have 4 different buildings. Students report to the main building to catch the shuttle buses. Students are not allowed to drive or be dropped off at the other buildings.

Hypothetically, schools would use a similar system to keep from excess costs.

On our campus we have 4 different buildings. Students report to the main building to catch the shuttle buses. Students are not allowed to drive or be dropped off at the other buildings.

Hypothetically, schools would use a similar system to keep from excess costs.

So there is no way a student can walk off of the streets into one of the auxiliary buildings? They have to go through the main building?

How many schools have high fences surrounding the entire campus? Without that (and even with a fence) anyone could just walk up to a school and do whatever.

How many schools have high fences surrounding the entire campus? Without that (and even with a fence) anyone could just walk up to a school and do whatever.

 

If the shooter has a long range rifle the fence wont matter, we can what if this to death, but its pretty clear that a life isnt worth that much to most.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.