Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

School Shooting At Marshall County High School

Featured Replies

What would stop a student from opening fire at the bottleneck of kids trying to get thru the metal detector? They would have to make all students go thru one entrance.

 

There was also a mass shooting at a school in MN where the kid shot the security guy as he was going they the detector and then opened fire on the students.

 

There are reasons for and against.

 

If metal detectors are irrelevant why do places even use them?

  • Replies 206
  • Views 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pro sports or colleges?

 

Both

Concerts and

Theme parks too

Several of the newer high schools in the Tampa Bay area have metal detectors. Hillsborough County installed portable metal detectors at virtually all of its 27 other public high schools in 2016. Most of these schools have in excess of 2500 students enrolled, some over 3000. It can be done.

Both

Concerts and

Theme parks too

 

You can't get into Universal City Walk or Downtown Disney without going through security (metal detectors and searches). These aren't theme parks but are shopping, entertainment, and dining centers open to the public.

If metal detectors are irrelevant why do places even use them?

 

I didn’t say they were irrelevant, I said there can be an argument for and against metal detectors.

 

Metal detectors will not stop all school shootings or shootings in general. It may be enough to install them if they stop one. Something each school district would have to decide and determine if they have enough money to install and staff. It would be a lot easier to install in new schools being built, so they can plan for them instead of retrofitting old schools with multiple entrances.

Both

Concerts and

Theme parks too

All places that charge admission, right? I would say that the money to have metal detectors is easier to come by in those settings.

 

I'm not against metal detectors in any way. I just don't think that they are the magic elixir that some seem to feel that they are.

We have at least one county currently in this state that apparently can't afford to fix the water system for it's citizens. It's not likely that they would be able to come up with the money needed not only to purchase the equipment to have a metal detector, but also to pay for the extra labor required to operate it. Metal detectors may not be practical for all schools to obtain.

Feels like rationalization to me. A man shot an innocent person.

 

It's illegal to shoot anyone who isn't threatening your life, right? An innocent person was shot in my scenario. Does it matter why? You can't feel sorry for the dad and not feel sorry for a kid that was bullied. They both took terrible actions and both were illegal.

 

I don’t feel sorry for either one. But the situations aren’t the same. Not even close.

I don’t feel sorry for either one. But the situations aren’t the same. Not even close.

 

Agreed, both know going into it that their actions carry consequences.

All places that charge admission, right? I would say that the money to have metal detectors is easier to come by in those settings.

 

I'm not against metal detectors in any way. I just don't think that they are the magic elixir that some seem to feel that they are.

 

Not all charge admission. See post #139. However, I am sure the vendors in those places mentioned receive enough business to pay for the security.

 

Metal detectors are not a magic elixir. It is a fact that Hillsborough County has not completely eliminated weapons (guns and knives) from entering their schools but they've cut the instances dramatically. If a person wants to shoot people at a school, they could just show up outside and pick them off as they enter or exit the building.

 

It does come down money, though. How much are the taxpayers willing to spend, or are capable of spending, to increase the security in their schools? Is an ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure?

I didn’t say they were irrelevant, I said there can be an argument for and against metal detectors.

 

Metal detectors will not stop all school shootings or shootings in general. It may be enough to install them if they stop one. Something each school district would have to decide and determine if they have enough money to install and staff. It would be a lot easier to install in new schools being built, so they can plan for them instead of retrofitting old schools with multiple entrances.

 

Has there been a mass shooting at a venue that has metal detectors? Never really gave it much thought. The shootings have happened in several schools that do not have detectors? Can’t put a value on someone’s life, but I also don’t want to have a body cavity search every where I go.

Not all charge admission. See post #139. However, I am sure the vendors in those places mentioned receive enough business to pay for the security.

 

Metal detectors are not a magic elixir. It is a fact that Hillsborough County has not completely eliminated weapons (guns and knives) from entering their schools but they've cut the instances dramatically. If a person wants to shoot people at a school, they could just show up outside and pick them off as they enter or exit the building.

 

It does come down money, though. How much are the taxpayers willing to spend, or are capable of spending, to increase the security in their schools? Is an ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure?

As both a teacher and a taxpayer, I would rather see a trained police officer (resource officer) in each school at all times. Once that it taken care of, if there are extra funds and it works with the building infrastructure, I think that metal detectors are a great addition.

As both a teacher and a taxpayer, I would rather see a trained police officer (resource officer) in each school at all times. Once that it taken care of, if there are extra funds and it works with the building infrastructure, I think that metal detectors are a great addition.

 

Agreed, but one isn't enough, depending on physical building size, at least 3 to 5 are needed per building. .

I am also against this kid being tried as an adult. Serves no valuable purpose. Are we going to put him in prison with grown men?

 

If you don't then as a 15 year old the maximum sentence would only be 3 years. Way to light.

Yep. See the case of Michael Carneal, the Heath Shooter. He was 14 and is still locked up and not eligible for parole till 2022.

 

He was tried as an adult wasn't he?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.