Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

School Shooting At Marshall County High School

Featured Replies

  • Replies 206
  • Views 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

 

I would guess the majority of the cost would be having to have at least one person to operate the metal detector. I would guess that a lot of schools would need to have more than one. I know at Daviess Co. High School the students who ride a bus enter the building from the opposite side than which the students who drive and / or are dropped off by their parents enter.

If metal detectors had been installed in the entrance he would have tripped it. I feel like I never hear of this mentioned in schools but think “inner city” schools have it? Maybe it’s time for all schools.

If metal detectors had been installed in the entrance he would have tripped it. I feel like I never hear of this mentioned in schools but think “inner city” schools have it? Maybe it’s time for all schools.

 

He could have tripped it and immediately pulled his gun out and started shooting just like he did...only difference would have been the metal detector would have and some sort of alarm sound.

He could have tripped it and immediately pulled his gun out and started shooting just like he did...only difference would have been the metal detector would have and some sort of alarm sound.

 

Is that the only difference? Billions are spent on metal detectors and gate security across this nation yearly.

He could have tripped it and immediately pulled his gun out and started shooting just like he did...only difference would have been the metal detector would have and some sort of alarm sound.

 

Well there would be hired security or faculty watching the alarms. Maybe it would have bought the kids 10 more seconds, maybe security/faculty could have tackled him.

Is that the only difference? Billions are spent on metal detectors and gate security across this nation yearly.
Most are set away from where the crowd is going to gather, in the case of schools just inside the doors is a gathering place at nearly all schools. Even when we go to a concert a metal detector wouldn't stop someone from walking through the metal detector and opening fire...or even start shooting at the people/kids standing in line waiting to go in. Metal detectors are a tool, but around them just before or after is a very vulnerable place to be as anyone with a gun will probably open fire at or near the metal detectors.

 

Well there would be hired security or faculty watching the alarms. Maybe it would have bought the kids 10 more seconds, maybe security/faculty could have tackled him.

Yes it may have, my guess is that he would have started shooting before reaching the metal detectors...or just shot the security first.

 

Metal detectors are great in certain circumstances, but they also give a false sense of security. School shooter could just start shooting outside as kids get off the bus or as they gather to go though the metal detectors.

Most are set away from where the crowd is going to gather, in the case of schools just inside the doors is a gathering place at nearly all schools. Even when we go to a concert a metal detector wouldn't stop someone from walking through the metal detector and opening fire...or even start shooting at the people/kids standing in line waiting to go in. Metal detectors are a tool, but around them just before or after is a very vulnerable place to be as anyone with a gun will probably open fire at or near the metal detectors.

 

 

Yes it may have, my guess is that he would have started shooting before reaching the metal detectors...or just shot the security first.

 

Metal detectors are great in certain circumstances, but they also give a false sense of security. School shooter could just start shooting outside as kids get off the bus or as they gather to go though the metal detectors.

This is why I say that metal detectors aren't magic elixirs. Schools need armed trained, armed police presence first...then we can talk about metal detectors.

This is why I say that metal detectors aren't magic elixirs. Schools need armed trained, armed police presence first...then we can talk about metal detectors.

 

I agree, but even Marshall County had an Officer assigned to that school. Unfortunately even a school officer can't be all places at all times as in this case.

 

Locally the county high schools and middle schools have SRO's in them and the three City schools have one that splits time between the three. I feel this is a good start...but even their presence isn't a 100% fix.

I would guess the majority of the cost would be having to have at least one person to operate the metal detector. I would guess that a lot of schools would need to have more than one. I know at Daviess Co. High School the students who ride a bus enter the building from the opposite side than which the students who drive and / or are dropped off by their parents enter.

 

I agree in the long term, in the short term, you could train the teachers to run them, its not rocket science, and most teachers have some form of early duty anyways.

 

Agreed that you would need multiple, but still, what is the value of a life.

This is why I say that metal detectors aren't magic elixirs. Schools need armed trained, armed police presence first...then we can talk about metal detectors.

 

Agreed you need both, but as a teacher you agree they are needed, I wish others could get on board.

A person who wants to commit a shooting like this cannot be stopped. End of the story.

A person who wants to commit a shooting like this cannot be stopped. End of the story.

 

This person shot 18 killed 2. If he were caught outside with trained personnel it’s less.

 

I agree he can’t be stopped in this world.

This person shot 18 killed 2. If he were caught outside with trained personnel it’s less.

 

I agree he can’t be stopped in this world.

 

I disagree. He could wait outside for school to let out and buses to load. He could go to just about any well attended high school event. I could list opportunities all night long.

I disagree. He could wait outside for school to let out and buses to load. He could go to just about any well attended high school event. I could list opportunities all night long.

 

He could.

The opportunities to terrorize this free nation are limitless, but I see no problem with trying to make our schools as safe as the the Tuesday night college basketball game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.