Who should be the 4 seed?

LRCW

Who should be the 4 seed?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the 4 seed?

The problem with telling "G5" teams to schedule tough OOC schedules is nonsensical. Good G5 teams cannot get P5 teams to schedule them hardly ever. On the occasion that they do, it is very, VERY rare to get any decent P5 game at home. It's completely stacked against teams like UCF. Then you look at Alabama, for example. I think they have played something like 90% of their OOC games the last 20 years at home.

Key to getting into the playoffs:

P5: Schedule whoever ya want OOC

G5: Go on the road to play against teams who won't schedule you. What's that? You didn't lose to Syracuse or Iowa? You went undefeated? Nah too bad not good enough. It's your own fault for not scheduling better.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw exactly 5 blue shirts in the entire stands during AAC Championship. So maybe Memphis fans just sold their allotment to UCF fans. But they could have at least tried to conceal the fact that it was UCF's home field by painting different logos at midfield and in the end zones, but to me it just looked ridiculous. Like for God sakes the MAC plays their championship at Ford Field so it can't just be a smaller conference thing. I just don't get it. The conference championships are supposed to be neutral sites.

How did you know the make up of the crowd in Mercedes-Benz Stadium or the AAC Championship. Is this statistical analysis or your perception? Please point me to the web site for the break down.

For the sake of argument, though....

The MAC is a regional conference, relegated to the Midwest. The American has programs in Connecticut, Ohio, Maryland, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Florida. That's the Northeast, the Atlantic coast, the Southeast, the Midwest, and the Southwest.

I will concede, though, that Memphis did give much of their allotment back to UCF. The G5 schools simply don't draw like the P5 schools. When systematically relegated to second class status, you are not going to draw as well. I also know this from experience, too. USF lead the Big East averaging close to 60K per game, even during the Holtz years. Now? 40K. Financially, the setup the AAC has now works best for them.

10 years ago, when Clemson, FSU, and Miami were all bad, the ACC was struggling to get fans to the Championship game and were considering this very setup.

The problem with telling "G5" teams to schedule tough OOC schedules is nonsensical. Good G5 teams cannot get P5 teams to schedule them hardly ever. On the occasion that they do, it is very, VERY rare to get any decent P5 game at home. It's completely stacked against teams like UCF. Then you look at Alabama, for example. I think they have played something like 90% of their OOC games the last 20 years at home.

Key to getting into the playoffs:

P5: Schedule whoever ya want OOC

G5: Go on the road to play against teams who won't schedule you. What's that? You didn't lose to Syracuse or Iowa? You went undefeated? Nah too bad not good enough. It's your own fault for not scheduling better.

I absolutely agree. The system is self perpetuating, designed to block the G5 from ever participating in the P5 Championship Game.

At USF, Michigan State and Florida both bailed on the return ends of their home and home contracts. Indiana bailed out all together. Wisconsin was supposed to play here last season, but pushed that game back to 2019. I doubt we'll be playing that game at all.

USF adopted a play anywhere anytime policy regarding P5 schools, meaning they aren't asking for a home and home. Still no takers. Hopefully that is changing.

South Florida wants at least 3 P5 games a season. The best they've been able to get is 2. Next year we play Illinois in Chicago and Georgia Tech at home. Not exactly their top tier opponents, but you get what you can. They are trying to move the UMass game to a later year and are talking to a school in the PAC12 for next year.

At this point, programs like ours have to rely on bowl games to get any chance at playing a P5 team and even then, the chances of getting a ranked one is slim.

OSU or Bama. I do think that OSU being a Conf. Champion that has played the better schedule than Bama this season and have wins over top 10 / 25 Ranked teams, 2 over top 4 teams , including ranked a t the time Penn St., Mich, Mich. St. and now Wisconsin. Personally imo losing to an avg. at best Iowa team w/ them hanging 55 on OSU just may put Bama in. Should that happen then honestly, I wouldn't argue bc that was a terrible loss.

This should not be a debate. OSU lost 2 games, one by 30 points to a very average , if not below average team. Although, the OOC schedule for the Tide was weaker, the conference schedule was much tougher. That is a wash in my opinion. Alabama should go without much debate, if any.

Without a doubt it should be the Buckeyes. Bama 's best win was against #23 Mississippi State. They struggled at that. :lol:

So a team who lost to a team by 31 who is basically like UK, should be considered one of the top 4 teams in the country? Lol when has a team like UK beat a top 4 team by 31? Shoot a team like UK the only time they beat a top 4 team in recent memory it took them a few overtimes to do that in LSU. Which LSU went on to win the title with 2 losses. However once again they simply just lost to UK. Osu losing to Iowa would have been like losing to UK by 31 lol. A top 4 team doesn't lose like that to an average team at best. If OSU just lost a tough hard fought road game, then yes they should be in.

But the answer is extremely complicated. OSU has 3 wins better than any of Bamas wins. They are a conference champ. But Bama didn't lose to Iowa by 31. The one thing I don't want to see is a comparison of 16 OSU to 17 Bama. For one OSU wasn't even debated last year they were the 3 seed. The debate was Washington vs Penn State. But also OSU had 3 top 10 wins last year and 2 on the road. The resumes aren't even close to comparable. I think Bama will get in and probably should get in, but it's not the same as OSU last year.

See how is the thing. I agree last year's 1 loss osu has a better resume than this years 1 loss Bama. However if they are going to say conference titles and head to head to carry a lot of weight. Then they really did mess up by putting osu in last year. When a team has a head to head loss, and also that same team that beat them won the conference and you didn't even play in it. Then you shouldn't have made it if they say head to head and conference titles do matter and carry a lot of weight. By putting osu in last year, they basically said head to head and conference titles didn't have as much weight. That set a bad precedent. Especially now for this year. Osu does have the conference title and better wins. Yet they also have more losses, and 2 blowout losses at that one at home and another to a bad team. So the committee has the precedent that a conference title doesn't weigh that much after last year. So yes those 2 losses and how they lost should matter. When comparing to a team with only 1 loss, and before they lost their last game was a team they had as a top 2 team all year. So if it's about putting the 4 best teams in, it has to be Bama between those two.

OSU or Bama. I do think that OSU being a Conf. Champion that has played the better schedule than Bama this season and have wins over top 10 / 25 Ranked teams, 2 over top 4 teams , including ranked a t the time Penn St., Mich, Mich. St. and now Wisconsin. Personally imo losing to an avg. at best Iowa team w/ them hanging 55 on OSU just may put Bama in. Should that happen then honestly, I wouldn't argue bc that was a terrible loss.

Are you really Urban Meyer? Do you all realize the flaw in your saying they beat 2 top 4 teams. I guess Bama can say they do have a top 3 win since they beat Florida State when they started the year rank at that spot lol.

So a team who lost to a team by 31 who is basically like UK, should be considered one of the top 4 teams in the country? Lol when has a team like UK beat a top 4 team by 31? Shoot a team like UK the only time they beat a top 4 team in recent memory it took them a few overtimes to do that in LSU. Which LSU went on to win the title with 2 losses. However once again they simply just lost to UK. Osu losing to Iowa would have been like losing to UK by 31 lol. A top 4 team doesn't lose like that to an average team at best. If OSU just lost a tough hard fought road game, then yes they should be in.

Your estimation of U.K. as a team is vastly overrated IMO.

You all are focusing on the Iowa loss and ignoring that Alabama hasn’t beaten anybody... You can’t have it both ways. If you take into account the Iowa loss, as you should, you also take into account that Bama hasn’t beaten anyone, AND they aren’t a conference champion.

OSU’s quality wins vs Alabama’s trump the fact that Bama has one less loss, IMO.

That's just how it is when you aren't a P5. To get in the discussion as a non P5 is a 2 year process. You need to get to a NY6 bowl and win. Then the next year you need to schedule a big OOC opponent and win then go undefeated. That gets you in the conversation.

I don't think teams like OSU want to schedule teams like UCF or USF because in years like this year I think they beat OSU. But we'll never know because A) as I said they won't schedule them and B) the so called committee won't give them the relevance they deserve and move an undefeated non P5 conference champion into the top 4. If you guys want to say a conference champion should get in over Bama then an undefeated conference champion should get in over a 2 loss conference champion that got smoked in those two loses.

This isn't a playoff, it's like Danny Kanell said, it's an invitational. This thing is a joke. The only right way to have a true playoff and find out who truly is the best is a 16 team playoff. 10 conference champions and 6 at large bids. What they're currently doing is a sham.