Attendance, is it up or down from last year in Bowling Green and why?

Last year's attendance:

A - 4235

AA - 5169

3A - 4685

4A - 6358

5A - 6352

6A - 7253

I read the 3A between Boyle County and Corbin was a record, but what about the others?

I have a feeling that the 5A game with CovCath and Madison Southern should be a great turnout. CovCath has not been to the finals in a while and Madison Southern making their first trip to the finals with a short distance to travel.

I wonder if the 6A will get a good turnout or will the people so ho hum it is St X and T, no interest.

What are your feelings and why?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, and many others, have said for years, when the finals move to Lexington the attendance will rise.

Why? The teams playing will bring their fans no matter where it is, but the casual fans and fans of other teams will be more likely to travel to Lexington and Louisville. Most casual fans will not travel to the far east or far west. There is a higher population in the Lexington Louisville area, with Northern Kentucky closer, with Ashland closer, and with other medium sized cities closer. Those fans will travel to Lexington, but not to Bowling Green. I know many people from North-Eastern Kentucky that traveled to Lexington this year, but had not ever traveled to Bowling Green for the finals once. Another reason, there are good highways straight to Lexington from all of Eastern, North-Eastern, Southern, and Louisville to Lexington. Additionally, there is a lot to do in Lexington, so fans can make the trip to do more then attend the games.

For my non-scientific reasoning: If you want the highest attendance at the State Finals, and you want the biggest show and for the Finals to be a big event; the finals have to be in Lexington. It has nothing to do with geography, it has everything to do with the University of Kentucky.

Not only did they beat last years attendance but the 1A and 3A games broke the all time attendance records.

If you check, the 7103 at the Class A championship is third highest behind 1999 (7,445 saw Beechwood beat Hancock County) and 2000 (7,714 saw Danville beat NCC). Both of those games at the old Cardinal Stadium at the Farigrounds in Louisville.

However it is by far the highest since those as only two Class A games have broken 6,000.

Personal opinion, but for much of the state "going to Lexington" is a common activity for shopping, sports, hospitals, etc. Right or wrong, I think there is mental intimidation for many in going to Louisville and an unfamiliarity with going to Bowling Green.

I, and many others, have said for years, when the finals move to Lexington the attendance will rise.

Why? The teams playing will bring their fans no matter where it is, but the casual fans and fans of other teams will be more likely to travel to Lexington and Louisville. Most casual fans will not travel to the far east or far west. There is a higher population in the Lexington Louisville area, with Northern Kentucky closer, with Ashland closer, and with other medium sized cities closer. Those fans will travel to Lexington, but not to Bowling Green. I know many people from North-Eastern Kentucky that traveled to Lexington this year, but had not ever traveled to Bowling Green for the finals once. Another reason, there are good highways straight to Lexington from all of Eastern, North-Eastern, Southern, and Louisville to Lexington. Additionally, there is a lot to do in Lexington, so fans can make the trip to do more then attend the games.

Yep, all this. Once UK went to turf it was ineveitable the finals would move there. I would be very surprised if they ever went back to WKU.

I wonder if the 6A will get a good turnout or will the people so ho hum it is St X and T, no interest.

The Trinity/St. X regular season game drew over 24,000 this year. They typically do not need the rest of the state to care about the game. They will draw well anytime they play each other, anywhere. The fact that the game is a half hour closer to Louisville won't hurt, either.

The last time they played for the state championship, 2009 in Bowling Green, 9000+ attended. If this game doesn't draw at least 10,000, I will be very surprised.