High School Football in Kentucky - Playoff Structure

ThrowItDeep

I really like your idea of only taking the top 2 teams in each district to the playoffs and have a Game 11 Bowl for the teams that do not make it. But only if it would be a cross-district pairing. Teams do not want to play someone that they have already played in their district.

Definitely would not want the 11th game to be against a team they had already played. I would think everyone would know by around Fall Break what their situation at their school is. Coaches would be working their contacts and getting that game agreed upon during the season.

It could allow two schools in close proximity to play. Or maybe they have a rivalry but couldn't work out playing during the regular season. But I really think schools that are not the #1 seed or #2 seed should be able to say "I want an 11th game or I don't want an 11th game".

Each school is different and would have different opinions of why they would want to or not want to play.

As a coach I feel like the fact that every team gets a playoff berth really waters down the playoffs as a whole. While I understand that we want every kid to experience that feeling, are they really if they know its guaranteed? To me it means much more when its earned. I really like the idea of the top two from each district go and really like the idea of the Bowl Games.

You could take those "Bowl Games" and have them sponsored by a local company and do something good with it and maybe have it a charity bowl game where ticket sales go to a charity or cause. Something like this would only shine favor on KHSAA

I really like your idea of only taking the top 2 teams in each district to the playoffs and have a Game 11 Bowl for the teams that do not make it. But only if it would be a cross-district pairing. Teams do not want to play someone that they have already played in their district.

Wouldn’t it just be simpler to simply play an 11 game schedule like they used to when they took only the top two teams? Play an 11 game schedule, with a bye, take the top two, playoffs for four weeks. Just like it was pre-1990.

Or hey, how about just keep it the way it is and drop to four (or five) classes. Which is the real solution.

Under the current system we are about to start having some major problems if more teams start going independent. Some schools who are in districts with powerhouse teams that they have no chance of EVER beating. The districts actually hurt these teams because as a coach how do you get kids to play for you when you and them both know that you are going to get running clocked and possibly physically harmed because you have to play some of the best teams in the state every season. Once a couple of teams in certain districts go independent good luck for the rest of people finding games. I know locally, I have heard mumbling of Grayson and Barren both going independent so if that happens who is going to want to play Bg and South Warren during those weeks?

I do not know the best answer but something has to change. Some programs never have a chance to develop because of our current playoff and district setup. Maybe a post-season bowl game is the answer or maybe something like an NIT tournament would be good. Whatever the answer is something has to be done or the independent transition is going to become more common.

I loved the fact that back in the late 70's and early 80's when I played at Paris High School, only the district champion made the playoffs. You had to work hard to get in the playoffs and every district game mattered. Under today's format, the Greyhounds, back then, would've probably won three more state championships by getting a second chance. Heck, if you're in a four-team district or a three-team district, you're in regardless ... really don't care for that as much. I think you should earn your way into the playoffs. We played an 11-game regular season and three rounds in the playoffs. Although I like that setup back then, I honestly believe that they should take the top two teams in each district and add an extra game for everyone else ... because most only play 11-games anyway. And furthermore, they could very well have a competitive 11th game instead of a running clock in the first half after a 3+ hour drive. Just my opinion!:idunno:

I loved the fact that back in the late 70's and early 80's when I played at Paris High School, only the district champion made the playoffs. You had to work hard to get in the playoffs and every district game mattered. Under today's format, the Greyhounds, back then, would've probably won three more state championships by getting a second chance. Heck, if you're in a four-team district or a three-team district, you're in regardless ... really don't care for that as much. I think you should earn your way into the playoffs. We played an 11-game regular season and three rounds in the playoffs. Although I like that setup back then, I honestly believe that they should take the top two teams in each district and add an extra game for everyone else ... because most only play 11-games anyway. And furthermore, they could very well have a competitive 11th game instead of a running clock in the first half after a 3+ hour drive. Just my opinion!:idunno:

You know I love the Greyhounds and would not trade my time there for anything. But, when Mercer won the district title in 1986, I was really glad we did not have to face the Greyhounds a 2nd time! Like you said... we won 1 playoff game.... the region championship and were in the semifinals. Very different set up.

Take the beat teams and let them play for state title 1A, make teams like Beechwood, Trinity, Bowling Green, Mayfield, Belfry, etc all play in same playoff bracket. If they don’t like it tell them to train harder.

Have state title 2A, 3A, etc.

Give teams like Berea, Jenkins, Phelps, Jackson Co, etc a chance to play similar teams.

I have had an idea for years that you can gauge the long term success of a High School football program by their stadium. Maybe this is just a West half of the state thing but on the west side it seems to hold some truth.

Mayfield--War Memorial

Tilghman--McWright Stadium

Hopkinsville/Christian Co--Stadium of Champions, before that Walnut St.

Owensboro--Rash Stadium

Franklin-Simpson--Shadetree Stadium

Bowling Greeen--El Donaldson Stadium, before this facility BG did not have a stadium or on campus practice facilities. They also had spotty success.

Russellville--Rhea Stadium

Caldwell County--not sure of the name

It is not the fact that these schools have stadiums built of concrete, brick, and mortar. What it shows is community support and commitment. Also support from the administration of those schools.

One of the above is struggling right now and it is purely due to administrative indifference to athletics.

I hear coaches, fans, and administrators whine about blowouts. Someone give me a legitimate reason for a 4A school show up at a playoff game with one team bus that is just over half full. A team that has to go for it on 4th down from their own 20 because they do not have anyone capable of punting. There is no justification!!

You can't tell me that this school does not have 50 kids capable of filling out a roster and being competitive. You better get some leadership at the top.

Football is a tough hard sport. There is no instant gratification. It requires commitment, sweat, blood, tears. You're gonna get your butt whipped. You're gonna get hurt. But football delivers some of the best life lessons young men can ever receive. You don't really lose until you quit and start whining.

(COPIED FROM ANOTHER THREAD)

My thoughts:

• Cut the classes down to either 4 or 5

• Top 2 teams in the now larger (hopefully more competitive districts) Make the state playoffs

• 3 and 4 seeds play in a separate smaller tourney. Do not call it a state championship call it the Bluegrass or (insert sponsor name) Tournament. It does not get the glamour and prestige of the state tourney. No central location for championship games, no rings, just a simple trophy.

• If you do not want it messing with the big games make the (Bluegrass Tournament), all be played on Thursdays or Saturdays.

• This way it provides a little catch 22 for non-power house teams to be in districts with powerhouse schools.

• Then once every decade or two when those small non-power house teams have that class of kids who make a crazy run (Logan County) and win a 1 or 2 seed then they get a shot at the state championship.

• It would also generate much needed money for some of those schools who do not get 5 extra gate money paychecks.

For all the old curmudgeons out there whose schools have cases full of state championship trophies, fingers full of rings, huge new stadiums, weight rooms, locker rooms, indoor practice facilities, a separate set of practice helmets and a booster club bank account with 50,000 dollars in it, give it a rest. You will still have all of those things it will just give the rest of the school something to play for. HOWEVER, LET ME STRESS I do not think that other tourney should be considered a state championship or even close to it. There should be a clear overwhelming difference in winning the state title vs winning the other thing.

The NCAA has done this same thing for 80 years with the NIT tourney but no complains about that tournament and no one has a problem with naming an NIT tournament champion. However, any Kentucky or Louisville fan would not trade 20 NIT championships for even one NCAA final four appearance because there is a clear difference in the two and that is how this needs to be.

I saw someone's post the other day and I thought it was a pretty good idea. Eliminate the #4 seed. Reward the #1 seed from each district with a "bye" in first round of playoffs. That's pretty much the same as the 1 v. 4 in most cases anyway. Now there will still be running clocks and blowouts in Round 1 & 2 but a good majority will be eliminated. It also rewards district winners and still makes team strive for the playoffs of the 1-3 seed.