Who has the best offensive line in each division?

I won’t weigh in on who has the best OLine, as I’m admittedly too biased for that, but I do want to echo the applause for the big bellies that work the trenches. Watusi said it better than me, but most just don’t realize how difficult the position is, requiring skills like balance, agility, leverage, technique, and intelligence, not to mention a crap-ton of heart, fortitude and toughness. The words ‘skilled position’ may be the most ignorant terminology in the game. I could write volumes about the life of an O-lineman and the sacrifices they make, but that’s too much to post so I will simply share this personal example:

On Saturday mornings, the offensive lineman I know doesn’t run to the newspaper to check his stats or read his name in the headlines. He knows he won’t be mentioned unless he and his brothers failed to do their jobs. In fact, he doesn’t run anywhere; instead, he hobbles painfully to the tub for a salt bath hoping to soothe his physical sufferings. From the neck down, he’s a train wreck, like something out of a horror film. You would literally have to hunt to find a two-inch patch that isn’t bruised, busted, swollen, smashed, torn, or isn’t sore and doesn’t ache. When you ask him if he’s alright, he just smiles and says, “I can’t wait for next Friday night.”

If you see an offensive lineman, give him a pat on the back and thank him for the efforts he makes and the toils he endures on behalf of the team you support. Your appreciation will be welcomed. And I guarantee you it has been earned.

Since I can only give your post 1 "official" like...

fb_likes.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I won’t weigh in on who has the best OLine, as I’m admittedly too biased for that, but I do want to echo the applause for the big bellies that work the trenches. Watusi said it better than me, but most just don’t realize how difficult the position is, requiring skills like balance, agility, leverage, technique, and intelligence, not to mention a crap-ton of heart, fortitude and toughness. The words ‘skilled position’ may be the most ignorant terminology in the game. I could write volumes about the life of an O-lineman and the sacrifices they make, but that’s too much to post so I will simply share this personal example:

On Saturday mornings, the offensive lineman I know doesn’t run to the newspaper to check his stats or read his name in the headlines. He knows he won’t be mentioned unless he and his brothers failed to do their jobs. In fact, he doesn’t run anywhere; instead, he hobbles painfully to the tub for a salt bath hoping to soothe his physical sufferings. From the neck down, he’s a train wreck, like something out of a horror film. You would literally have to hunt to find a two-inch patch that isn’t bruised, busted, swollen, smashed, torn, or isn’t sore and doesn’t ache. When you ask him if he’s alright, he just smiles and says, “I can’t wait for next Friday night.”

If you see an offensive lineman, give him a pat on the back and thank him for the efforts he makes and the toils he endures on behalf of the team you support. Your appreciation will be welcomed. And I guarantee you it has been earned.

That's almost poetic

• 2 months later...

Well I think the best o-line in 4A turned out to be Franklin-Simpson. Ran for 191 yards against Johnson Central who only ran for 66 against FS. FS o-line is one senior, two juniors and two sophomores. FS always has speed, but the reason the Wildcats have had more success lately is their vastly improved line play. Hats off to the big boys in the trenches!

Now that the smoke has cleared, I believe 3A Champion Boyle County had the best Oline in 3A.

LT-Ryan McClelland-SR

LG-Zane Young-SR

Center-John Yeager-SR

RG-Ned Stephens-JR

RT-Will Bramel-SR

Ned Stephens is the only starting linemen that missed a start this year. He sat out the regular season game vs. Lex Cath. Mitchell Paycheck was his backup for that one. John Yeager played the last 2 game with a probable torn labrum in his right shoulder that forced him to snap left handed.Other than that, these 5 guys started every game for Boyle.

It should also be noted these guys were all one-way players. Depth matters!

Congrats to these men for an outstanding season.

Now that the smoke has cleared, I believe 3A Champion Boyle County had the best Oline in 3A.

LT-Ryan McClelland-SR

LG-Zane Young-SR

Center-John Yeager-SR

RG-Ned Stephens-JR

RT-Will Bramel-SR

Ned Stephens is the only starting linemen that missed a start this year. He sat out the regular season game vs. Lex Cath. Mitchell Paycheck was his backup for that one. John Yeager played the last 2 game with a probable torn labrum in his right shoulder that forced him to snap left handed.Other than that, these 5 guys started every game for Boyle.

I would throw the TE's in the mix too Hellyer was outstanding and Tiller did a bang up job after moving from QB to TE

LT-Ryan McClelland-SR

LG-Zane Young-SR

Center-John Yeager-SR

RG-Ned Stephens-JR

RT-Will Bramel-SR

I originally said Belfry, but I can't argue with your opinion. Boyle County got the job done.

Well I think the best o-line in 4A turned out to be Franklin-Simpson. Ran for 191 yards against Johnson Central who only ran for 66 against FS. FS o-line is one senior, two juniors and two sophomores. FS always has speed, but the reason the Wildcats have had more success lately is their vastly improved line play. Hats off to the big boys in the trenches!

I don’t know how anyone could declare JC the best “by far” if they saw the 4A Championship Saturday.