Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who has the best offensive line in each division?

Featured Replies

I was initially going to ask "best in the state", but I think it will make the discussion much more interesting if we aren't stuck comparing 1A and 2A O-lines to 5A and 6A O-lines.

  • Replies 33
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMO Belfry has the best o-line in 3A year after year. They remind me of Nebraska back in their glory days when they were known as the assembly line because they constantly kept producing great o-lines year after year.

One of SK's coaches told me yesterday that they knew BW's skill players were good; but, they were surprised at how skilled and hard both of their lines played. Hats off to the unrecognized!

1A- Beechwood by a wide margin

2A- I think I will go with DeSales narrowly... Mayfield's line has played well

3A- Belfry. honorable mention to Boyle County

4A- Johnson Central, by a wide margin

5A- CovCath

6A- Trinity

1A- Beechwood by a wide margin

2A- I think I will go with DeSales narrowly... Mayfield's line has played well

3A- Belfry. honorable mention to Boyle County

4A- Johnson Central, by a wide margin

5A- CovCath

6A- Trinity

 

 

no coincidence that these are my 6 picks to bring home the titles in December.

Not sure Boyle's line can top Belfry, but by far the best size and experience the Rebels have had up front since Chuck 2.0. And the starting 5 have only played one-way to date.

I like DeSales O-line in 2A. The smallest of the two goes 6'3 250. They move well, and have solid footwork.

Nice thread :thumb: Here is a shout out to all the guys who toil in the trenches. It is a thankless job, but the offense is only going to go as far as you guys take it. I don't know who's line is the best in any class, I don't see enough teams play. But I do know that EVERY lineman deserves to be noticed, they are the workhorses of any team.

 

IMO Belfry has the best o-line in 3A year after year. They remind me of Nebraska back in their glory days when they were known as the assembly line because they constantly kept producing great o-lines year after year.
Belfry's offensive line coaches do a really good job of preparing their guys. Historically, our kids have been the type of kids who make good linemen. Blue collar, strong, hard working kids who are willing to work and take some pride in it. The sons of coal miners and railroad men. Playing in the trenches isn't sexy, but it definitely paves the way.

 

In this offense, being a OL player flies in the face of the old stereotype of taking your biggest, dumbest kids and putting their hands on the ground. Those guys have to think, a lot. It isn't like pass blocking, it is very technical. I have a lot of respect for the hogs and a special appreciation for all of them who are Pirates.

If CovCath has the best o-line in 5A (and I think that is a big if), it is crazy to think they all return next year.

Nice thread :thumb: Here is a shout out to all the guys who toil in the trenches. It is a thankless job, but the offense is only going to go as far as you guys take it. I don't know who's line is the best in any class, I don't see enough teams play. But I do know that EVERY lineman deserves to be noticed, they are the workhorses of any team.

 

Belfry's offensive line coaches do a really good job of preparing their guys. Historically, our kids have been the type of kids who make good linemen. Blue collar, strong, hard working kids who are willing to work and take some pride in it. The sons of coal miners and railroad men. Playing in the trenches isn't sexy, but it definitely paves the way.

 

In this offense, being a OL player flies in the face of the old stereotype of taking your biggest, dumbest kids and putting their hands on the ground. Those guys have to think, a lot. It isn't like pass blocking, it is very technical. I have a lot of respect for the hogs and a special appreciation for all of them who are Pirates.

 

Does Belfry have any lineman D1 worthy? I know they did last year.

Does Belfry have any lineman D1 worthy? I know they did last year.
Maybe. Most of them don't have the size a D1 program is looking for on the OL. There are 2 juniors who are listed at 6'3, 334 and 6'3, 295 who may get some D1 looks.
Maybe. Most of them don't have the size a D1 program is looking for on the OL. There are 2 juniors who are listed at 6'3, 334 and 6'3, 295 who may get some D1 looks.

 

D1 guards/centers based on height.

1A- Beechwood by a wide margin

2A- I think I will go with DeSales narrowly... Mayfield's line has played well

3A- Belfry. honorable mention to Boyle County

4A- Johnson Central, by a wide margin

5A- CovCath

6A- Trinity

 

No way would I dispute that Beechwood has the best team in 1A, I'm beyond impressed with what they've done, who've they've played, how they've played. Incredible team that matches up with just about anybody in the state, let alone 1a squads.

 

KCD's O Line averages 225lbs a man from TE to TE, has a D1 commit anchoring one end,hung 38 points on an imposing Lexington Christian team, is the only 1A team in the top five both rushing and passing, and averages nearly 44 points a game against a decently challenging schedule. As far as O lines go, that's a contending group for best in 1a.

Does Belfry have any lineman D1 worthy? I know they did last year.

 

A couple might have a shot.

 

Austin Lawson (6'3 295) has D-1 size but is still very raw. I think I heard the first time he picked up a weight was as a Freshman. He has improved tremendously over the past two years.He also dropped about 30 pounds in the off-season which has helped him move much better.

 

Keaton Thacker (6'3 320 or so) has exploded onto the scene this year and is a monster. Much like Lawson he is raw and still getting into the proper condition. He has impressed me though, seems to have that "country strong" to him. Would best be served playing at 295-300.

 

Dagen Rash might be slightly undersized for D-1 standards (6'0 270 ish) but he has the skill-set for sure. If I was projecting I would say he would be an ideal fit for a FCS school like EKU as maybe a Center (he has some experience at that spot). I would say Rash is currently the most polished Belfry lineman. He is quite good.

 

The beauty of all three of these guys is that they are Juniors.

 

Belfry also has a very good Center in Sophomore Ethan Wolford. A natural foot ball player. If he can grow a little more (6'0 240 ish now) and get to that 6'2 275 range he may have a future as well. I like him a lot.

I won’t weigh in on who has the best OLine, as I’m admittedly too biased for that, but I do want to echo the applause for the big bellies that work the trenches. Watusi said it better than me, but most just don’t realize how difficult the position is, requiring skills like balance, agility, leverage, technique, and intelligence, not to mention a crap-ton of heart, fortitude and toughness. The words ‘skilled position’ may be the most ignorant terminology in the game. I could write volumes about the life of an O-lineman and the sacrifices they make, but that’s too much to post so I will simply share this personal example:

 

On Saturday mornings, the offensive lineman I know doesn’t run to the newspaper to check his stats or read his name in the headlines. He knows he won’t be mentioned unless he and his brothers failed to do their jobs. In fact, he doesn’t run anywhere; instead, he hobbles painfully to the tub for a salt bath hoping to soothe his physical sufferings. From the neck down, he’s a train wreck, like something out of a horror film. You would literally have to hunt to find a two-inch patch that isn’t bruised, busted, swollen, smashed, torn, or isn’t sore and doesn’t ache. When you ask him if he’s alright, he just smiles and says, “I can’t wait for next Friday night.”

 

If you see an offensive lineman, give him a pat on the back and thank him for the efforts he makes and the toils he endures on behalf of the team you support. Your appreciation will be welcomed. And I guarantee you it has been earned.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.