A Little Good News

CincySportsFan

Mrs. C1 and i traveled to and back from the Piedmont of NC in the last three days and met good people, had great conversations, and ate a little too well gut wise along our journey.

I'm often reminded by Charles Kuralts "On the Road" when i travel. He shed light on the simple goodness of our country, especially in the nooks and far reaches. We live in a great country with a lot of good people in it. Regardless of what we get in sound byte media.

If you find yourself in Coats, NC enjoy a meal at Rons Barn. Great fried chicken and fried okra. :thumb:

Great thread, I'm all about the good news to balance my every so often rant! :lol2:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'One child led to 132': Hawthorn Woods couple finds spiritual rewards in foster care

Over the span of nearly 30 years as a foster parent, Vrenios has become a pro tending to infants and children in the care of the state. Vrenios and her husband, Tom, so far have touched the lives of 132 kids, including two children the couple adopted into their own family.

"We couldn't keep them all," the 53-year-old Vrenios said with a laugh. "They don't make cars for 132 kids."

"We had no children of our own, and we felt very blessed by life. We wanted to give back, so we decided to become foster parents, and one child led to 132," Vrenios said.

"My husband and I have also had 12- and 13-years-olds, up to age 18," she added, saying the "reaction to foster care varies widely" from child to child.

"They can be scared or happy and excited. (They) want this new norm, because the old norm was neglect and abuse," she said. "It's very different for every child."

"I feel there is nothing better than helping children for a brighter tomorrow," Vrenios said. "You understand the goal is a mature healthy adult."

I ran out to do errands today after spending way to much time on the news yesterday. I realized I was being especially conscious of my actions toward others as the day wore on. I smiled at everyone I encountered, said thank you and gave out well wishes and compliments. I gave a bigger tip at lunch. I was in the grocery parking lot and thought I would take my cart and another customers cart to the return for him. It was a little distance. Instead, the man unloading his groceries came to my car, said "I will take that up for you", and waited for me to finish unloading. It just shows most of us are really needing to show some kindness right now even in small ways.

This happened to me right after the Sam Dubose shooting in Cincinnati.

As we all know, Sam was an unarmed black man shot by a UC Police officer. I work in Cincinnati and live in NKY. At the time, there was great concern that there would be race riots in Cincinnati.

I drive a VW Bug convertible. If the weather is good, it is my habit on Fridays to put the top down and sing my oldies all the way home.

One part of my ride home involves a small stretch of road, along the outskirts of the city, that is a little isolated. It was Friday, and I was doing my thing. Up ahead on that isolated patch, I saw a van stop and 5 young African American boys/men get out. As I passed them, the stop light turned red. For the first time ever, it occurred to me that I was very vulnerable. Here I was a white woman in a convertible and 5 black men , approaching my car during a very uncomfortable racial time.

I watched them in my rear view mirror, planning on running the red light at the first sign of trouble. As they approached, one of the kids yelled, "Hey Mama,". I yelled "What?" He yelled, "You sure look hot in that car!" I yelled "I KNOW!" We all laughed and I drove off.

I am not sure if they sensed my unease, or if they were making fun of me. I DO know that we were all laughing as I drove off.

Today is "Do Something Nice" day! It's the little gestures that matter so hold the door for someone, let someone cut in front of you at the grocery, buy someone's lunch, or just say a prayer for someone in need. Make this world a better place for someone today.

Surprising my now 19 year old for his birthday at college with gifts and re-stocking his fridge and pantry.

Looking forward to taking him and his friends out to dinner. His Mother is over the moon and cannot wait to see and hug on her boy! :thumb:

Just scored a nice promotion with one of my customers' partners and it didn't cost me a dime. They are doing a buy their product and get mine for free. They are funding the advertising and covering the cost of the free good!

Boss sent a note to Sr. Management and a couple of them sent "great job" notes. Good timing as they are all gathered to discuss a reorg. (AKA layoffs).

Sunday morning between 10:30 and 11:30 on the plaza in front of Lucas Oil Stadium, Peyton Manning met fans at the statue memorializing his contributions to Indianapolis. He shook hands and took selfies with everyone. There was a huge crowd, but everyone was respectful. When security calmly asked people to step back, people responded. No one shoved others. It was a very happy time. Not planned by anyone, just Peyton showing up and being with the people. Thank you, Peyton.