A Little Good News

CincySportsFan

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hero Dog Saves Family from Destructive House Fire

The nose always knows and a Waterville, Maine, dog’s sniffer got a whiff of smoke early Wednesday morning.

According to a press release from the Waterville Fire Department, firefighters received a call about a house fire in the area at one o’clock in the morning on Jan. 3.

The homeowners were able to call for help thanks to their dog. Both of the canine’s owners were asleep in the home’s living room when the fire started. As the living room began to fill with smoke, the family dog woke up his snoozing best friends.

The family tried to put out the fire themselves, but it was already too large.

The home sustained extensive fire damage to an exterior wall and roof and light smoke damage to an interior wall. The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.

Thankfully, due to fido’s quick thinking, everyone inside the home survived the fire without injury.

The family is currently staying in a hotel while their home, which is insured, is repaired.

High School Football Players Help Rescue Puppies Left in Cold Weather

A group of New Jersey teenagers went above and beyond to save a mother dog and her pups from the frigid cold ahead of the dreaded “bomb cyclone” that struck the East Coast Thursday.

Members of the North Bergen High School football team volunteered on New Year’s Eve to help police and the New Jersey Humane Society rescue the three dogs, which were in an industrial area and exposed to the elements.

Police were called after someone spotted the Rottweiler mix and her puppies huddled together on a dirty blanket, CBS New York reported.

It took the officers, teens and animal advocates about 12 hours to capture all three dogs, officials said.

"It's very impressive that all these high schoolers came together and took the time to do this," Kaley Nugent, marketing and communications coordinator for St. Hubert's Animal Center, told the news station.

The dogs were brought to St. Hubert’s, where they are being cared for and readied for adoption.

Hundreds welcome 3rd-grader back to school after fight with cancer

"She had to live in isolation,'' Kelley said. "We couldn't have anybody in the house. She understood that the cancer was serious, but it was almost more devastating that she wasn't able to go to school or soccer or dance or birthday parties."

While Bridget was out of school, families in the community arranged to regularly bring meals to the Kelleys and raised money for the family and cancer research. Bridget was able to get tutoring during her time in the hospital so she could graduate to third grade and remain with her classmates.

Healy, whose oldest son, Seamus, 8, is in Bridget's class, organized a Facebook forum to help plan the special return for the little girl.

"I invited 50 people, and by the end of the day it was 150 along with the police,'' Healy said. "Everyone was just super excited for Bridget after she had a really tough battle."

Healy handed out more than 200 signs and 150 hand warmers to the large crowd welcoming her back.

Ironically, two days after Bridget's return, there was no school for two days thanks to a massive snowstorm.

"We had anxiety about sending her back to school because we were so trained to avoid germs, but it was also such a relief,'' Kelley said. "It's like we're finally on the upswing now that she's allowed to come back."

“This isn’t a post to be noticed, this is a post to show you that there are so many people out there that have it worse than we do. I opened my eyes and realized I need to stop being so mad about what I don’t have and start appreciating what I do have.”

Instead of Cleaning the Fridge as Requested, Home Nurse Finds it Empty –and Fills it

Watch Formerly Homeless Boy Sob For Joy at Getting His Own Bed

8-year-old Daeyrs has spent much of his young life living in homeless shelters with other families after his mom lost her job.

All he wanted for Christmas in 2017, when the pair was finally accepted into a Michigan housing program, was a bed, and a kitchen table where he and his mother Dionna could eat together.

But, while they were finally in a home, Daeyrs slept and ate on the floor as there was no money to pay for furniture.

That’s when the Detroit based non-profit Humble Design stepped in to decorate their home for free.

When Daeyrs was told to cover his eyes before seeing his bedroom, he was overcome with emotion when he saw his very own bed and dresser inside the fully furnished home.

“Seeing how much having a bed and his own room meant to Daeyrs, it really made me realize what’s important in life and grateful for everything I have,” Humble Design founder Tregar Strasberg said.

“He was so excited to have his own room, but also so overwhelmed by what having this really means for him after all he’s been through.”

In 2017, the organization aided more than 150 families in their transition out of homelessness and abuse shelters.

A Teenage Girl Voluntarily Went Into A Septic Tank to Save a Little Boy

Madison Williams was 
studying in her bedroom in Dublin, Ohio, in August 2016 when the 
door burst open. It was her mother, Leigh Williams, with a horrific and incredible story: 'A little boy fell 
into a septic tank, and no one can reach him.' Then she made this 
request of her 13-year-old daughter: 'Can you help?'

Madison and Leigh ran to a neighbor’s yard, where they found the boy’s distraught mother and other frantic adults surrounding a septic tank opening that protruded a few inches above the neatly trimmed lawn. It was 11 inches in diameter—slightly wider than a basket­ball—with a hatch that had not been secured. The boy, who was only two years old, had slipped in and was drowning in four feet of sewage inside a tank that was eight feet deep.

The men and women—who 
minutes earlier had been enjoying 
a party in a nearby home when they heard the boy’s mother scream—were dropping extension cords into the sludge, hoping the child would grab hold so they could pull him out.

Madison quickly surveyed the 
situation. She was the only one who could fit through the small hole. Without hesitation, she got on her stomach next to the opening, placed her arms out in front of her, and told the adults, 'Lower me in.'

Leigh and others held her waist and legs. 'I wiggled my arms and shoulders until I got through the opening,' Madison says. Inside, the tank was dark, and the air putrid. Madison thrust her arms into the muck. In the process, she jammed her left wrist against a concealed pole, injuring the muscles in her wrist and arm so severely that the hand was rendered useless.

Rather than tend to her injury, Madison skimmed the surface of the sewage, hoping to feel the 
submerged boy. 'Every once 
in a while, I’d see his little toes pop out of the water,' she says. 'Then I would try to grab them.' Minutes ticked by before she saw the faint outline of his foot again. Madison shot her good hand out and grasped the foot tightly. 'Pull me up!' she shouted to the others above.

As they were pulled to the surface, the boy’s free foot got stuck under the inside lip of the hatch. 'Lower me down!' she yelled. 
'I had to wiggle his foot until 
it was free,' she tells ­Reader’s ­Digest. Then, ten minutes after Madison had entered the tank, she and the boy were lifted out.

But the toddler wasn’t out of trouble. He had been deprived of oxygen long enough that he wasn’t breathing. He was placed on his side, and an adult gave him several hard whacks on the back, one right after the other, until the boy coughed up fluids. It was only when Madison heard him cry that she knew he was all right. (Learn about how one little girl reversed her brain damage after nearly drowning.)

It took Madison longer to recover than the boy, who was taken to the hospital and released that same night. She, however, endured months of physical therapy for her wrist, which, says neighbor Mary Holley, made the girl’s actions all the more impressive.

'Madison’s a hero,' Holley says. 'What other teenage girl is going to voluntarily go into a septic tank?'

75 years ago today, the classic film Casablanca premiered on screens across the US. Beloved for the onscreen chemistry between the two lead actors, Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, the film won three Academy Awards, including best picture, screenplay, and director – for Michael Curtiz.

The signature line, “Here’s looking at you, kid,” was ranked No. 5 on AFI’s list of 100 greatest movie quotes of all time. Named for the North African city where the story is set, Casablanca left us with other unforgettable lines from the World War II Resistance drama: Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine; The problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world; I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship; and perhaps the best closing line in cinema—We’ll always have Paris, uttered by Rick before he sends Lisa off in an airplane, with the romantic theme song, As Time Goes By, playing amidst the fog.

Here's Looking at You: ’Casablanca' Hits Movie Screens 75 Years Ago Today

And, Happy 67th Birthday to Captain Chesley Sullenberger who, eight years ago, safely landed a jet airliner in the Hudson River saving all 155 passengers on board and sparing pedestrians on the ground.