A Little Good News

CincySportsFan

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason, the headline is missing a couple of zeros. Should be passing out $100 bills.

You're correct!

Since 2006, a group of volunteer “elves” has kicked off the holiday season by handing out $100 bills to dozens of complete strangers (locals who could use an extra boost in) Charlotte, North Carolina.

It’s a funny sight. Clad in red berets and accompanied by the flashing lights of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police, the anonymous “elves” spend one day each year bestowing cash—all stamped with “Secret Santa” in red—on their unsuspecting neighbors.

This year, a man named Kerry Shine was walking on Rozzelles Ferry Road when four elves appeared. Receiving his $100 bill, Shine couldn’t hide his emotion. He wiped his tears on the sleeve of his shirt and told them that no one had ever done something like this for him before. His reaction, the elves told The Charlotte Observer, was not unusual.

Microsoft surprises 9-year-old boy with Xbox after he gave his up for the homeless

Mikah Frye© Provided by Fox 8 Mikah Frye

A 9-year-old boy in northern Ohio peered out a car window a few weeks ago and saw a hint of his past: People without homes wandering in the cold.

"And he said, 'Well, they're cold,'" the boy's grandmother, Terry Brant, recalled to Cleveland's Fox 8. "And I said, 'What do you want to give them, a blanket?'"

That question inspired the boy, Mikah Frye, to give up a big-ticket item on his Christmas list, a $300 Xbox, to help provide more than 60 blankets for those who are homeless — just as Mikah's family once was.

Mikah, along with his mother and father, spent a few weeks at an emergency shelter after the family lost their home about three years ago, his mother, Sara Brown, told Fox 8.

The boy's act of generosity didn't just catch the attention of a local TV station: Microsoft employees welcomed Mikah to a store at a mall in Beachwood, Ohio, where Santa Claus waited for him with two bags of gifts, including a new Xbox, as Fox 8 reported.

The boy sifted through the presents and began to cry.

Access Program, the shelter that assisted Mikah's family, has already began giving out the blankets that the family's generosity helped provide.

Each one comes with a personal message from Mikah attached: “Today, I live in my own house, and someday you will too. Your friend Mikah."

Bengals players deliver surprise to elementary school

When the students at Saint Bernard Elementary School sang "Bengal Bells," they thought they were just singing a Cincinnati-themed parody of a classic holiday song.

Little did they know, they'd be getting a visit from Dre Kirkpatrick and A.J. Green.

"I'm starting to be a Cincinnati native, and I got to take care of home, and this is home for me right now," Kirkpatrick said.

But the Bengals players did more than just show up for a pep rally. They brought over 300 surprises with them. More than 300 bikes of all colors, shapes, and sizes stood in the gymnasium at Saint Bernard, and every child will get to take one home as they leave for winter break.

"Just seeing some of their faces, some of them have never rode a bike before, some of them can't afford bikes, so it's a very humbling experience," Green said.

It's more than humbling for Kirkpatrick, it's personal.

"If I had just had somebody to talk to that was on a platform or on that level, because I come from where most of these kids come from," said Kirkpatrick.

And toward the end of a stressful season, it's a good reminder of what matters most.

"We play this game of football. It's just a game. We're blessed to play it, but coming here and seeing the reality outside (the) locker room, it's bigger than the game," said Green.

"I just wanted these kids to know that anything is possible no matter what situation you're in or where you come from. You got people who love you and make sure you take advantage of it," said Kirkpatrick.

That's a good message any time of the year.

Hats, gloves, scarves left in anonymous gift bags to wrap needy in kindness

MILWAUKEE -- On a recent Sunday morning, a couple of hundred plastic bags, each containing a scarf, a knit cap, and a pair of mittens or gloves, appeared seemingly out of nowhere in areas of Milwaukee frequented by the down and out.

The bags were tied with colored yarn to trees, posts and fences. Each contained a note:

"I'm Not Lost. If You're Stuck In The Cold Please Take Me To Keep You Warm!"

It was a guerrilla act of kindness, and its perpetrators were led by Heather Witt, who, on the bags she placed, also wrote: "You are loved," and whose opinion of humanity is positive to the point of being mildly disruptive:

"I think we all have something in us that wants to do good," she says.

Good News in History, December 24 - Good News Network

Silent Night was composed by Franz Xaver Gruber (1818)

Verdi’s opera Aida premiered at the opening of the Suez Canal (1871)

First broadcast of a music program on radio, from Massachusetts (1906)

Albania became a republic (1924); Libya (1951) and Laos (1954) gained independence

And, on this day in 1914, the Christmas truce of World War I began when German troops fighting in Belgium began decorating their trenches and singing Christmas carols.

Lifelong best friends discover they're actually brothers

HONOLULU — Two Hawaii men who grew up as best friends recently learned that they're actually brothers and revealed the surprise to family and friends over the holidays.

Alan Robinson and Walter Macfarlane have been friends for 60 years. Born in Hawaii 15 months apart, they met in the sixth grade and played football together at a Honolulu prep school.

Macfarlane never knew his father, and Robinson was adopted. Separately, they sought answers about their ancestry.

Macfarlane turned to family history and DNA-matching websites after unsuccessful searches on the internet and social media, Honolulu news station KHON-TV reported .

"So then we started digging into all the matches he started getting," said his daughter, Cindy Macfarlane-Flores.

A top match — someone with identical X chromosomes — had the username Robi737. Robinson's nickname was Robi and he flew 737s for Aloha Airlines, Macfarlane-Flores said.

It turned out Robinson used the same website to find answers about his family. They later learned they have the same birth mother.

"It was a shock," Macfarlane said.

They revealed the relationship to friends and family during a party Saturday night.

"It was an overwhelming experience, it's still overwhelming," Robinson said. "I don't know how long it's going to take for me to get over this feeling."

They have plans to travel and enjoy retirement together.

"This is the best Christmas present I could ever imagine having," Robinson said.