ADIDAS...Done in college basketball?

Jumper_Dad

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the idea that people think Nike will be squeaky clean after all this is done.

This. Those who are college hoops fans of schools with affiliations with rival shoe companies would be wise to tread lightly when it comes to taking too much joy out of a rival's miserable predicament. This goes far beyond Adidas and UofL, and everyone figures to get some poo spattered on them.

This. Those who are college hoops fans of schools with affiliations with rival shoe companies would be wise to tread lightly when it comes to taking too much joy out of a rival's miserable predicament. This goes far beyond Adidas and UofL, and everyone figures to get some poo spattered on them.

I don't think most are looking at it like it's a UL or Adidas thing. Most anyone with any sense has known that this has been going on for years ever since the shoe companies became heavily involved with amateur sports. Regardless UL is still going to look the worse in this instance though due to them slinging poo at the NCAA right after being put on probation. Do I think a lot of other schools are going to be implicated, yes. But as you mentioned with the poo splattering, UL essentially took the poo that the NCAA handed down to them for their past violation and then threw it right back at the NCAA, as if they don't care about their probation. Think about that for a minute, it's not a good look for the program.

I don't think most are looking at it like it's a UL or Adidas thing. Most anyone with any sense has known that this has been going on for years ever since the shoe companies became heavily involved with amateur sports. Regardless UL is still going to look the worse in this instance though due to them slinging poo at the NCAA right after being put on probation. Do I think a lot of other schools are going to be implicated, yes. But as you mentioned with the poo splattering, UL essentially took the poo that the NCAA handed down to them for their past violation and then threw it right back at the NCAA, as if they don't care about their probation. Think about that for a minute, it's not a good look for the program.

No question about that. Horrible look for UofL in those circumstances.

Another case is Shabazz Muhammad, Adidas signed his sister (150 in the world tennis player), to a lucrative tennis endorsement that a top 5 player would receive. He ends up at UCLA which was an Adidas school.

He was the first name that came to my mind and I mentioned it early in the other thread.

Can schools just up and leave a contract with a shoe/ apparel company? I'm not sure when UofL's deal with Adidas runs out, but I would highly doubt we would see a change until then.

Considering Lou signed a 10 year, $160 million contract extension a month or so ago, they'll be there awhile. Fourth highest apparel deal behind UCLA, Texas and Ohio State.

I always found the O.J. Mayo journey with Adidas to be red flagged. Multiple high schools including North College Hill and Huntington Prep. Sonny Vaccaro by his side since 7th grade, eventually signs with SC.

Another case is Shabazz Muhammad, Adidas signed his sister (150 in the world tennis player), to a lucrative tennis endorsement that a top 5 player would receive. He ends up at UCLA which was an Adidas school.

Mayo wasn’t an adidas guy. USC is a Nike school.

I heard someone say the extension had been agreed upon but had not yet been signed by UofL.

If it had been agreed upon, at the very least, they would have signed a Memorandum of Understanding. Now, I'm not @Getslow, but I believe in the few times they've been tested, a Memorandum of Understanding has never held up in court as enforceable.

That said, UL isn't going to have any way in the world to replicate those $160 million dollars elsewhere, so let's not be too quick to assume they'll want to wiggle off the hook on that deal.