Netting in Baseball Stadiums

HammerTime

Not trying to be cute, but you can't tell a 40 year old to sit at their own risk and pay attention to the game 100%. I pay attention 10000% more than my wife and kid when we're at a game. But, are there times where I'm looking at the scoreboard or something else and I miss a pitch. All it takes is one.

Hey Bob...be proactive...put the damn nets up.

Or you're with your kid and he spills his snow cone all over himself and you have to look down and grab a napkin and BANG...The whole "well just pay attention" excuse is just ignorance.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you're with your kid and he spills his snow cone all over himself and you have to look down and grab a napkin and BANG...The whole "well just pay attention" excuse is just ignorance.

What about the vendors? Half the time they've got their backs turned to the field. Do they get helmets and flak jackets? I'm sure a certain BGP member would prefer the netting...especially on those hot, humid summer days.

The players have pushed for additional netting for years, but the owners and MLB have pushed back. The main reason is they don't want to lose season ticket holders, and the commish says it would be difficult to define due to the different styles of stadiums. It all comes down to money, because the small print on the back of the ticket protects MLB.

With today's technology, you would think they could make some type of thin gauge netting (fishing line) that would be less noticeable than the current netting behind home plate and provide just as much protection.

The players have pushed for additional netting for years, but the owners and MLB have pushed back. The main reason is they don't want to lose season ticket holders, and the commish says it would be difficult to define due to the different styles of stadiums. It all comes down to money, because the small print on the back of the ticket protects MLB.

With today's technology, you would think they could make some type of thin gauge netting (fishing line) that would be less noticeable than the current netting behind home plate and provide just as much protection.

They could use line like braided fishing line to make the nets, it would be many times smaller than the current netting material and very very strong.

What about the vendors? Half the time they've got their backs turned to the field. Do they get helmets and flak jackets? I'm sure a certain BGP member would prefer the netting...especially on those hot, humid summer days.

I do my best not to think about it. But yeah, my back is constantly to the field. When everyone reacts around me to a foul ball, I usually duck down because I have no idea where it is. 105 MPH line drive, I'm at the mercy of fate.

I have had my peanut bag clipped by a line drive foul ball before. Laughed it off and joked with fans around me that they could have gotten me killed by not catching the ball. Didn't think til after how dangerous that was.

Cincinnati Reds‏Verified account @Reds

#Reds to install additional netting at GABP by Opening Day in 2018.

DKRgaVRW4AMpVFb.jpg

At the very minimum to the end of the dugouts. Preferably 25-30 feet farther

From listening to scuttlebutt at the ballpark last night, end of the dugout in GABP in the press release means the end closest to home plate. Which isn't much additional netting at all. I'm thinking what I was told was wrong because what is the point of that? If it is truly to the other end of the dugout, then that's definitely at least a start.

From listening to scuttlebutt at the ballpark last night, end of the dugout in GABP in the press release means the end closest to home plate. Which isn't much additional netting at all. I'm thinking what I was told was wrong because what is the point of that? If it is truly to the other end of the dugout, then that's definitely at least a start.

If you go to the other end of the dugout, you cut out all the fan interaction with the players at the dugout. No more throwing balls up to fans coming off the field and such.