Kyrie Irving to the Celtics for Isaiah Thomas and more

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid of the decision to pay IT is a big part of this. You get Kyrie for the next two years. Crowder is a bit overrated IMO.

Can you imagine committing $200M to a 5'6 guard coming off hip surgery?

The Cavs needed to get something for either Lebron or Kyrie while staying competitive next year and building for when Lebron leaves. This accomplished both, they made a nice deal. I think it's a win for both sides.

Cavs are better IMO and Celtics are at best the same as before. I don't see how that's a win/win.

I think the Cavs got worse and the Celtics got better. But just barely. It's only a win for the Cavs because of the draft pick, its all about preparing for when Lebron leaves now.

CBS Sportsline rated it this way.

SportsLine projection: Before the trade

TEAM WINS WIN% EAST CHAMP

Cleveland Cavaliers 54.2 66.0% 43.1% 10.0%

Boston Celtics 53.7 65.5% 33.0% 6.2%

SportsLine projection: After the trade

TEAM WINS WIN% EAST CHAMP

Boston Celtics 54.9 67.0% 39.3% 8.7%

Cleveland Cavaliers 54.2 66.1% 39.7% 9.1%

Cleveland's offensive efficiency just got dramatically better. IF Kyrie scores and orchestrates in Boston (read: plays like LeBron) then the Celtics will benefit. If it's the same ISO/dribble/shoot Kyrie then Boston takes a step back competitively.

What shouldn't be lost in evaluating Kyrie is the fact the Cavs rarely won when LBJ didn't play and Kyrie was "the man." It is possible for a player to put up big individual #s and his team be mediocre. That was Kyrie without LeBron.

It is also Love - but he will still get to play with LBJ...

I think the celtics shouldn't have made this deal. The cavs would have been a mess this year if Kyrie was never traded and the celtics would be set for the following year if Lebron leaves. The celtics could have had a top 3 pick next year and kept their core intact.