What Was Your Favorite Kids' Book as a Child?

mcpapa

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My great-grandma had a copy of this book from her childhood. She was born in 1903. I really liked reading it when we'd go over to her place when I was little. Nowadays the book is pretty universally panned (as it should be) for its racial stereotypes, but I basically liked the book because everyone ate pancakes made out of tigers at the end.

Sambo.jpg

I had an impressive collection of Nancy Drew that I turned to for fluff reading.

I had the entire Louisa May Alcott collection

Black Beauty was a favorite.

But, overall, hands down, my favorite, and the book that has stayed with me in my soul was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

I shared a bedroom with my younger brother growing up, and we both used to ask for this one at bedtime when we were little. Pretty much your everyday children's bedtime story about a witch who had teeth made out of iron so she could eat children...ya know, that old tale.

1449f9792b1261bc8805e1bfe49c2076--baba-yaga-childrens-books.jpg

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

I probably read this one twenty times over my childhood years, literally. A young boy stranded on a tropical island and learning to survive. Eventually inspired me later in life to take an actual survival trip with some of my good college buddies down in the Everglades.

2022795.jpg

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

My elementary school had a large selection of C.B. Colby books that I loved. They were about ships, jets, secret service, FBI, hunting, camping...pretty much everything a boy loves. They were also heavy on pictures, diagrams and plans which I loved. I could look at blue prints or diagrams of a ship or tank for hours.