UK Football rings for beating UL

PurplePride92

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, doesn't change the fact this has been going on for years and UK isn't breaking new ground here. For the record I agree that it's dumb but in the grand scheme who gives a rip. If the players like it great, whatever. Like I said it's been going on for years and most on here didn't even know.

I had no clue. Saw the rings and discussion about it and started the thread.

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. I'm not one for participation trophies and while at first thought that appears what these type of rings are. However, take a look at it this way and see whether you think it's good or bad. By making a bowl game these kids (in general) helped make their school quite a bit of extra cash, so why not reward them with something that carries monetary value? Some of the kids will keep their rings because either they like the bling or the fact that it will bring back memories, good and bad I suppose. Others will sell the things and put a little extra cash in their pocket.

I hate participation trophies, but on the other hand if your helping someone make a ton of money it's nice to be rewarded for your efforts every once in a while.

This thread has taken a hilarious turn. I'm not one for participation trophies and while at first thought that appears what these type of rings are. However, take a look at it this way and see whether you think it's good or bad. By making a bowl game these kids (in general) helped make their school quite a bit of extra cash, so why not reward them with something that carries monetary value? Some of the kids will keep their rings because either they like the bling or the fact that it will bring back memories, good and bad I suppose. Others will sell the things and put a little extra cash in their pocket.

I hate participation trophies, but on the other hand if your helping someone make a ton of money it's nice to be rewarded for your efforts every once in a while.

Nah. Their reward is their scholarship. At least that is what folks who say they shouldn't be getting paid say......

Why did the Cats do this? Rings for losing a bowl game and winning a rivalry game? We really didn't win anything, I don't understand why teams get rings for their player for anything other than championships.

Why did the Cats do this? Rings for losing a bowl game and winning a rivalry game? We really didn't win anything, I don't understand why teams get rings for their player for anything other than championships.

I agree totally that giving rings for appearing in a bowl is stupid. However they did win something. They won the Governor's Cup. :thumb:

This is incorrect. UofL did not go to a bowl under Kragthorpe. So either your friend is lying or it's a different ring.

Dang, I should have verified, it was 2006 and they were really good that year, and that was Petrino's last year I think lol. My bad. That is the year they won the Orange Bowl. See what happens when you don't verify a response and your a quick trigger. My bad on that one.

Dang, I should have verified, it was 2006 and they were really good that year, and that was Petrino's last year I think lol. My bad. That is the year they won the Orange Bowl. See what happens when you don't verify a response and your a quick trigger. My bad on that one.

No worries!

Well Stoops prob got like a 250k bonus for becoming bowl eligible, maybe it's a token of appreciation?

To me this is as bad as Tom Crean at Indiana a few years back.:no:

Indiana Basketball is EXPECTED to win...when UK Football gets to the level of the IU Basketball Program Historically, I'll agree with you. IF UK Basketball celebrated a regular season win the way IU did then you'd have a valid comparison.