Walton Verona 56 Simon Kenton 53

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really what I am asking. Just cannot understand how a school the size of SK has to have so many young ones on their varsity roster. Is Steiner running guys off? Are kids that in years past may have played football and basketball no longer playing both?

Racke, Vance, Kincaid, Carter, Murray, Hayden, Cooper, all football players who played basketball their sophomore year and chose not to after. Add in Cottrel who was a starter his junior year and when he decided to play football as a senior became a bench guy who was only getting 6-8 minutes a game prior to him leaving the team and you end up with a roster needing 5 freshman and an 8th grader to fill it out.

Racke, Vance, Kincaid, Carter, Murray, Hayden, Cooper, all football players who played basketball their sophomore year and chose not to after. Add in Cottrel who was a starter his junior year and when he decided to play football as a senior became a bench guy who was only getting 6-8 minutes a game prior to him leaving the team and you end up with a roster needing 5 freshman and an 8th grader to fill it out.

Don't blame Steiner for that. If you truly love the game, a coach isn't making you quit. You think Steiner is any easier on the ones who put it on the line everyday for him, heck no he isn't. Those kids who quit basketball, basketball was 2nd or 3rd on their list of things that was important to them. Stop blaming Steiner for that. Maybe one of those kids could have showed up and suppprted the team last night in the stands. Lord knows the basketball team went to all the football games and supported them.

Steiner never missed a shot, turned it over, or missed a block out all season. Blaming the coach is too easy. Players play, coaches coach.

Don't blame Steiner for that. If you truly love the game, a coach isn't making you quit. You think Steiner is any easier on the ones who put it on the line everyday for him, heck no he isn't. Those kids who quit basketball, basketball was 2nd or 3rd on their list of things that was important to them. Stop blaming Steiner for that. Maybe one of those kids could have showed up and suppprted the team last night in the stands. Lord knows the basketball team went to all the football games and supported them.

Steiner never missed a shot, turned it over, or missed a block out all season. Blaming the coach is too easy. Players play, coaches coach.

Come on FI, they didn't go to the football games to support the team. They could care less if they won or not. They went because it is the best social night in the summer and fall for them and also to check out the chicks......Ha Ha!!!!

The fact remains there are two very different cultures within the football and basketball programs, one program has kids flocking to it, the other not so much.

Something needs to change with the boys basketball program at SK.

It's clear that FB has the focus at SK in boys sports. Don't believe me? Check out the attendance. Some of the worst attended home SK games in my 20 years in Indy. Where are all of the students at these games? Home studying for the ACT I guess.

The fact remains there are two very different cultures within the football and basketball programs, one program has kids flocking to it, the other not so much.

Why is that ? Coaching ? Engagement ? Steiner isn't good we all know that but seems like kids like him .... wonder what former players would say about him ?

Why is that ? Coaching ? Engagement ? Steiner isn't good we all know that but seems like kids like him .... wonder what former players would say about him ?

As I said in the post, to me it's a cultural thing. You can't continue to lose all the kids they have over the last 3 years and be successful. Fire Inside said if the kid loves the game he should play in spite of a program deficiency. That may be true but it is in no way a way to build a long term successful program. If Steiner can change the culture, more power to him, if not they need to find someone who can. The kids that are there are playing hard and playing together the problem is that over the last 3 years they have lost to many basketball kids. Yes most also play football but the kids I mentioned in the above post were all brought up through the AAU system. They have been playing basketball since they were 6 or 7 years old. That many kids don't just lose interest in the game.

I really like Coach Steiner as a man have spoken several times at SK events, youth games, and around town. I'm not a SK grad so obviously didn't play for him and my kids are way to young. Maybe a former player or parent of can give insight of him and his staff as coaches.

I really like Coach Steiner as a man have spoken several times at SK events, youth games, and around town. I'm not a SK grad so obviously didn't play for him and my kids are way to young. Maybe a former player or parent of can give insight of him and his staff as coaches.

Don't think you'll find too many people that don't like Steiner as a person (other than the Duke thing). You'll find a mixed bag about his coaching/style and people skills. He has the disadvantage of being there a long time with some skilled guys on his staff (Jeff Davis, etc.) and a ton of 'good enough' talent that just didn't get the job done for one reason or another.