Should ESPN have fired this announcer for saying guerilla in tennis match?

jericho

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I Googled "guerilla effect" and found almost exclusively online articles about this instance of Adler using the term. I was able to find one online article about the term being used in biology to refer to the method by which invasive plants expand in foreign places, but found no other references to tennis.

I'm far from being any expert or even particularly a fan of tennis, but if there is actually a precedent for the term being used in tennis, or maybe even in sports, then I think an apology by Adler and maybe an additional suspension would have been more in line...but otherwise, I have no issue with the firing.

I would say that, regardless, this was an extremely poor choice of wording by Adler. He should have thought more before he said that.

I Googled "guerilla effect" and found almost exclusively online articles about this instance of Adler using the term. I was able to find one online article about the term being used in biology to refer to the method by which invasive plants expand in foreign places, but found no other references to tennis.

I'm far from being any expert or even particularly a fan of tennis, but if there is actually a precedent for the term being used in tennis, or maybe even in sports, then I think an apology by Adler and maybe an additional suspension would have been more in line...but otherwise, I have no issue with the firing.

I would say that, regardless, this was an extremely poor choice of wording by Adler. He should have thought more before he said that.

you cant be serious? I know nothing of tennis. But if people in the know, know this is an acceptable term to describe play, then where is this wrong? Quit being so darn sensitive. If he was covering say Sharapova or Nadal and used the term, no one would blink an eye. But since someone at the New York Times wants to get their name out there this became a huge deal. Total joke. If Williams thought it was racist wouldnt she have issued a statement? Total, total joke.

Absolutely not. The destruction of ESPN continues.

Nike ran a popular tennis commercial back in the 90s with Agassi and Sampras playing in the streets and used the term.

It's a term that's been used in tennis for a long long time.

He's going to win a boat load of cash.

Here's a link to the 1995 Sampras/Agassi ad and an accompanying article. "Guerrilla Tennis" was the title.

Nike Guerilla Tennis featuring Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras

I'd imagine Mr. Adler can show this ad in the lawsuit and walk away victorious.

Here's a link to the 1995 Sampras/Agassi ad and an accompanying article. "Guerrilla Tennis" was the title.

Nike Guerilla Tennis featuring Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras

I'd imagine Mr. Adler can show this ad in the lawsuit and walk away victorious.

Not only that, but according to him, he's used the phrase in matches he's called for years. Just pull a few of those that have two white players facing off and slam dunk win for him.

ESPN is a power player in the world of sports but if I have a quality option I choose the option. For example, if I want Pro Football Filler talk on game days I will turn on the NFL Network instead of ESPN.

This.

ESPN is absolutely the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality.

I find myself liking ESPN less and less every day. Besides watching/listening to Mike and Mike while getting ready for and driving to work and watching actual games I want to see, I try to avoid ESPN...and some of it for garbage like this.

The other thing that makes my blood boil on this is that if McEnroe or Evert or Fowler or McKendry said this, no way they would be fired. An apology would be made and all would be good. But because this guy is not well known, it was easy to can him. So basically ESPN is morally wrong and gutless at the same time IMO. Besides that, ESPN handled this perfectly.