President To Announce Supreme Court Pick

Clyde

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing bad about this, as it all goes. Seems an able individual that will essentially keep the makeup of the court where it was with Justice Scalia. I pray for Notorious RBG to remain in good health though. I fear a second appointment would result in a much more controversial pick.

Nothing bad about this, as it all goes. Seems an able individual that will essentially keep the makeup of the court where it was with Justice Scalia. I pray for Notorious RBG to remain in good health though. I fear a second appointment would result in a much more controversial pick.

This is actually the point I came back to make. Two things with this vote, first there are a lot of Democrat Senators who have reelection in states in 2018 that Trump won, and secondly their is a good chance Trump could have one or two more nominations after this. It would be a bad political move to fillibuster this pick now that does not change the court. If you use the only tool you have now and possibly increase Republicans seats in the Senate or set precedent on the Nuclear option it could put Democrats in a worse spot.

So for that reason knowing Schumer is a good politician I expect some push back and debate but in the end a confirmation.

That could have been a lot worse. Not ideal, but of course it wouldn't be. Best of luck to Mr. Gorsuch.

Seconded. Unless there's something horrendeous waiting just off camera with Gorsuch, Democrats are going to have to swallow the bitter pill and get this over with.

And it's particularly bitter when Republicans have been the proverbial crying child in the checkout line who just got their candy bar. C'est la vie.