You Be The Ref...

officiating has been mediocre this year IMO, it seems when one region travels to another its pretty bad. There are some officials that have very short fuses and as an official IMO you should have thick skin if you have chose to be an official.

They have a hard job that's for sure but there are some that have been in it way to long that may need to move on.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to anyone; but the officiating this year seems to be really really bad. It is a difficult job I understand but over the Holiday break I have learned to appreciate the 5th region and our refs.

It has been deteriorating across the high school and college ranks for the last 10-13 years.

Does this mean primary official? Would that be C in this scenario? Guy on the same side and closest to the ball?

During our pre-game if the ball starts in your primary, you officiate it all the way to the rim, however, if we have a collision, (i.e. Charge/Block) the lead official, under the basket who probably has the best look will take the call, if the ball comes from C or Trail position, you hold your call to see what the Lead official has, to make sure you do not have a "BLARGE"!

Officiating is absolutely getting worse. I'm convinced it's because officials are watching more as fans (not necessarily one team over the other) but because they just like watching the game instead of officiating it.

Technicals on players showing emotion are out of control. Too much physical play is allowed. All in all, the officiating is incredibly inconsistent.

The blarge is the dumbest call in history. The 3rd official simply needs to break the tie. This cost University heights a regional semi-final win against henderson a few seasons back. It was called on hoptown a couple of years ago and cost them a game.

I have a couple of friends who officiate. They both contend that KHSAA needs to adopt the same concepts the nCAA has adopted. Call games tighter for a year or two in order to get rid of the physical play.

it's much easier to call a tight game than to let a game get very physical. But for some reason refs don't want to tighten things up.

Look what has happened with the college game. The games flow much better now. There is more scoring. There are LESS fouls. Because the definition of a foul is much tighter.

Officiating is absolutely getting worse. I'm convinced it's because officials are watching more as fans (not necessarily one team over the other) but because they just like watching the game instead of officiating it.

Technicals on players showing emotion are out of control. Too much physical play is allowed. All in all, the officiating is incredibly inconsistent.

The blarge is the dumbest call in history. The 3rd official simply needs to break the tie. This cost University heights a regional semi-final win against henderson a few seasons back. It was called on hoptown a couple of years ago and cost them a game.

I have a couple of friends who officiate. They both contend that KHSAA needs to adopt the same concepts the nCAA has adopted. Call games tighter for a year or two in order to get rid of the physical play.

it's much easier to call a tight game than to let a game get very physical. But for some reason refs don't want to tighten things up.

Look what has happened with the college game. The games flow much better now. There is more scoring. There are LESS fouls. Because the definition of a foul is much tighter.

Agree with all but the first and third paragraph. It's easy to make a call when you aren't the one actually making the call. I'm a great ref from the 15th row, but I want nothing to do with the nuances and technicalities of officiating.

As to the bolded... You're ok with letting an official who has no angle on the play be the deciding factor?

Agree with all but the first and third paragraph. It's easy to make a call when you aren't the one actually making the call. I'm a great ref from the 15th row, but I want nothing to do with the nuances and technicalities of officiating.

As to the bolded... You're ok with letting an official who has no angle on the play be the deciding factor?

Yep. Because the blarge is a ridiculous call.

And a blind man officiating a basketball game is a ridiculous visual... (see what I did there?) ((and there?)) but that is, in essence, what you're suggesting.

Whether There is a tie breaker or a discussion a blarge should not be allowed. A blarge is admitting one call is wrong. How ridiculous is that? Perhaps the 3rd ref can determine who had the best angle?

Whether There is a tie breaker or a discussion a blarge should not be allowed. A blarge is admitting one call is wrong. How ridiculous is that? Perhaps the 3rd ref can determine who had the best angle?

Agreed in that I don't like a double foul called on the play in question. But again to the bolded, how's that gonna work?

Sorry but I don't think there is a single fan that knows more about officiating than the actual officials. You don't see refs going to your jobs telling you how bad you're doing. Give the refs a break.

Ever heard of "group think" or an "echo chamber". You never should allow those in question to be allowed to fully monitor themselves.

Ever heard of "group think" or an "echo chamber". You never should allow those in question to be allowed to fully monitor themselves.

Refs are evaluated every season both by their assigners as well as the coaches in their region. They are instructed on points of emphasis for the season as well as continuing education through meetings/scrimmages. There is accountability whether fans see it or not.

They did that 2 and 3 years ago and as the season progressed the games got back to the way they were called.