You Be The Ref...

Officiating is absolutely getting worse. I'm convinced it's because officials are watching more as fans (not necessarily one team over the other) but because they just like watching the game instead of officiating it.

Technicals on players showing emotion are out of control. Too much physical play is allowed. All in all, the officiating is incredibly inconsistent.

The blarge is the dumbest call in history. The 3rd official simply needs to break the tie. This cost University heights a regional semi-final win against henderson a few seasons back. It was called on hoptown a couple of years ago and cost them a game.

I have a couple of friends who officiate. They both contend that KHSAA needs to adopt the same concepts the nCAA has adopted. Call games tighter for a year or two in order to get rid of the physical play.

it's much easier to call a tight game than to let a game get very physical. But for some reason refs don't want to tighten things up.

Look what has happened with the college game. The games flow much better now. There is more scoring. There are LESS fouls. Because the definition of a foul is much tighter.

So you are not an official, yet you somehow are omnipotent ? Awesome....

Many would argue, this is one of the dumbest statements about officiating ever put into text type....

Not sure what your friends are doing, but this has been the primary point of emphasis for past few years. ie; hand checking, post play, etc...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether There is a tie breaker or a discussion a blarge should not be allowed. A blarge is admitting one call is wrong. How ridiculous is that? Perhaps the 3rd ref can determine who had the best angle?

Not if he / she is officiating their primary area....because they would have no way of seeing it....

Not true. The game is far less physical now because of more fouls being called and teams adjusting how they play. It's the reason, along with a shorter shot clock that scoring is up so much.

I was talking about the HS game.

I didn't mean to come across to as "all refs suck". That's not true. There are good ones. But I can tell you that in the second region the game is probably more physical not less in the last few years. The team I root for, Hopkinsville, has taken full advantage of that. if you've played us, in the last 4 or 5 years you know that we are going to press, push, shove, hack... all game long. We use our athleticism to overwhelm you. To me, while that's a good set of rule for us, I don't like watching that.

I like what has happened in the college game. It's more of a skill based game. And I personally think that's how Hopkinsville should be trying to play. It's why we haven't had success, despite having incredibly athletic and talented teams in Lexington. When we face teams who can deal with pressure and have the athletic ability to do so, we don't have anywhere to turn.

Further, on the blarge... I can't imagine why somebody thinks it's better to have a call that is admittedly wrong over a judgement call that doesn't create the ridiculous scenario of going to a "jump ball". A ton of "block/charge" calls are already wrong. Figure out a way to never have a blarge. That's what I'm saying.

Further, on the blarge... I can't imagine why somebody thinks it's better to have a call that is admittedly wrong over a judgement call that doesn't create the ridiculous scenario of going to a "jump ball". A ton of "block/charge" calls are already wrong. Figure out a way to never have a blarge. That's what I'm saying.

So on your first part, why not just keep a coin at the scorers table and flip it when you have one ? Isn't that the same as asking the 3rd official for a "tiebreaker ruling"?

As for the bolded, already have, and already do....

I think it's worth noting that there probably isn't a single referee who ever had the gumption to walk to the scorers table and utter the word "blarge." Makes me cringe even typing it.

It, I believe and correct me if I am wrong, is a double foul. Same as post players battling for position and each receiving a foul, because there's rarely a way of knowing who is initiating the contact.

So on your first part, why not just keep a coin at the scorers table and flip it when you have one ? Isn't that the same as asking the 3rd official for a "tiebreaker ruling"?

As for the bolded, already have, and already do....

I've seen a blarge twice in the second region tournament in the last 4 years. Is the blarge now not allowed? I wasn't aware that a blarge no longer existed.

A "blarge" is different than a double foul. In the "block/charge" scenario one is correct and one is wrong. There absolutely can be two fouls. Two guys are wrestling in the post etc...

And no, the 3rd ref could easily have a good view. To imply that 1/3 never has a good view is simply not a fact. Of course he could. But there are clearly examples when he may not have a view. But I still think the 3rd ref deciding is better than a jump ball, even if he didn't have the best view it's better than a jump ball.

I think it's worth noting that there probably isn't a single referee who ever had the gumption to walk to the scorers table and utter the word "blarge." Makes me cringe even typing it.

It, I believe and correct me if I am wrong, is a double foul. Same as post players battling for position and each receiving a foul, because there's rarely a way of knowing who is initiating the contact.

No. A "double foul" is called by one ref. A "blarge" is when one calls a charge and one calls a block. Does that make sense? I think there is confusion.

No. A "double foul" is called by one ref. A "blarge" is when one calls a charge and one calls a block. Does that make sense? I think there is confusion.

I understand, however, and again, someone correct me if I'm off base here, but a "blarge" (:puke:) was a word made up by a wise guy in the stands when two referees perceived contact differently, in order to point out the discord among the officials, which, admittedly, is different from the scenario I presented. My apologies in that regard.

To my knowledge, there is no such infraction in the KHSAA rulebook.