You Be The Ref...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a pre-game issue...and I say this every time....

Blow and Hold....it's that simple.

In no way is an official obligated to "over quick" a call....just blow the whistle, signal to stop clock, look at your partner and release to primary....

I do believe that more often than not a blarge is being "over quick"

This is a pre-game issue...and I say this every time....

Blow and Hold....it's that simple.

In no way is an official obligated to "over quick" a call....just blow the whistle, signal to stop clock, look at your partner and release to primary....

I do believe that more often than not a blarge is being "over quick"

Always...especially if you've got a move you like to use on a block/charge call.

Does this mean primary official? Would that be C in this scenario? Guy on the same side and closest to the ball?

If it happened on the play I described they called it incorrectly.

The only time I've seen it be a jump ball is when the collision happens AFTER the ball is released. At that point there is no possession so you go to the arrow.

Thanks for the clarification. I know my rules pretty good and I have often corrected refs on some of them.

Does this mean primary official? Would that be C in this scenario? Guy on the same side and closest to the ball?

In this scenario, I would say yes. ("C" as described in scenario, not by the graphic below) The Lead official in transition, who is running with the break, would be primary IMO and should take this call for a couple reasons:

1) They probably have best look

2) It looks best because they are closest

In a non-transition situation, it depends, and is usually discussed in pre-game. The slot official (opposite lead) would take it all the way to the rim, the trail official would release this to lead. It can change, but it should always be agreed upon prior to game. Court.png

@Clyde what if a blarge is called in the act of shooting and the ball goes in the basket?

It depends.

If the ball was NOT released PRIOR to contact then it doesn't matter if it goes in or not. Offense will get the ball nearest the foul.

If the ball WAS released PRIOR to the shot AND it goes in then you still have the two fouls and the defense will have the ball out of bounds to bring it up the floor.