Is your school a football or basketball school?

KnightTime07

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belfry is a football school but I remember when basketball was much bigger and much more competitive than it is now.

It's been a while so I might be wrong but didn't Raymond Justice, father of former Knott Central guard Cameron Justice, coach Belfry to three straight 15th regional championships about 20 years ago?

Warren Central has been a basketball school for almost two decades now. It was more balanced with a football lean until Tim Riley got there, which corresponded with the first prolonged downturn in the football fortunes. They've had good times on the football field as well, but it's basketball they're known for. And the only one they're still competitive in.

Everyone knows that Trinity is a football school. However with a state championship team in 2011, and a recent KOB and Bristol Arby's Classic title I'd say they are also a basketball school.

True, Trinity is much better at basketball then we used to be, but if we have to choose one 'primary sport' for the school, I'd say it's football.

Still, loved seeing the Rocks win both of those tournaments this year.

Franklin-Simpson is definitely a Football school, however with the recent basketball success fans have came out in droves at times like last years district title game, to watch the cats play. But as we all saw this past season FS is most definitely a football school

Lexington Catholic was a basketball school since football didn't exist until 1990. Around 1998 the tides started to turn as coach Bob Sphire had built the Knights into a contender and Danny Haney had the basketball team relevant on a national level. Now I'd say it's a football school just slightly, but the basketball team is still a contender every year. If I had to guess I'd go 55% football, 45% basketball.

My school is basketball all the way as far as interest in the community.

Actually, we don't have football. There's a group of county school systems in my area that have never had football. Owsley, Lee, Wolfe, Menifee, and Elliott. I think Buckhorn, who is in the Perry County system, had football for a short period a long time ago.

There is some serious talk going on right now in Wolfe county to get football started. I hear they have set aside some money to start youth football there for 2017. May take a few years to actually get it in the middle and high school. But they seem to be serious about getting it going.