Word abuse alert! Row/Roll/Role

Jim Schue

It is highly distressful how this word is being butchered, so here's some help:

Row — Commonly used in these situations:

"That boy cut a row of tobacco faster than anybody I done ever seen!"

"Thanks to Johnny's big three, the 'Cats won their fifth game in a row!"

Roll — Commonly used in these situations:

"Them yeast rolls your momma made were amazing!"

"Ain't it something when Johnny gets on a roll like that!?! He hit 4 threes in a row and before you know it he scored 30!"

Role — Commonly used in these situations:

"If Johnny could daggone well learn his role and play some defense and rebound, the 'Cats could be pretty good."

"That was a great role that Al Pacino played as that coach in that football movie."

"Role-playing games are kinda nerdy (but I kinda like them)."

I've found that I'm giving passes to a lot more people typing these days, simply because of some of the automated features that our phones seem to have these days with regards to word insertions.

However, it's still nails-on-the-chalkboard for me to hear ideal (idea), liebarry (library) and of course, everyone's favorite ax (with or without the "e") instead of ask.

I've found that I'm giving passes to a lot more people typing these days, simply because of some of the automated features that our phones seem to have these days with regards to word insertions.

However, it's still nails-on-the-chalkboard for me to hear ideal (idea), liebarry (library) and of course, everyone's favorite ax (with or without the "e") instead of ask.

Fitty cents

Going back to my thread a few months ago, I still get nervous writing effect/affect. Still don't fully get the difference.
affect is active. A is to Affect change. effect is the result. Or at least that's how a wonderful lady named Ms. Johnson taught me to remember it a hundred years ago.