10,000 steps

rockmom

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have to sit...One of my co-workers uses a standing desk. He has a stool just in case he wants to sit.

My daughter took up golf this year and they have to walk all the holes. I've been walking the holes with her and carry the clubs in practice rounds. That's quite a work out. They are done after the state tourney next week, but we'll probably still get out until it gets too cold.

Unfortunately I do. I do get up at least once an hour and try to get 3-500 though. Meetings are usually at the hotel, which is not where my office is. I'm able to get close to 1200 steps each way to a meeting by parking on the hinterlands. But, like today, in sitting in a meeting right now, which doesn't end till 10, then have another till 11:30. I'll get a good chunk in on my way back to my car, but this afternoon is going to be a choice between productivity in work or productivity in getting my steps. :lol2: I have 4729 already though. Keeping my finges crossed I get to 7500 before heading home. I can manage 2500 after I get home, for sure.

Congrats! You are doing great, Rockmom! I can see how it is hard for you to get the 10,000 steps each day with your job and your drive. I'm getting at least 10k steps by the time I head out to my car to head home each day---but that's because I rarely sit down all day.

Thanks! I keep stepping. :lol2:

Those of you who routinely get over 10K, are your jobs active/moderately active? My job is sedentary. So, I basically usually drive an hour and a half to sit for 9 hours and then drive an hour and half back. I have figured how to get 10K. But as a routine, I'm trying to figure out how to get more.

My jog is fairly sedentary. I mostly sit behind a desk or drive. Usually at the end of the day I still need to get about 4,000 steps. I can't run either as my knees are bad, so I usually end up walking on my treadmill for 30 to 40 minutes. I work from home so I don't have far to walk around the house, but if your in an office maybe try little things like instead of using the closest restroom go to one further away, etc. I usually try to get up at least once an hour and walk about 250 steps around the house.

I've been getting 10,000 steps fairly consistently for about a year. I haven't really lost much weight, maybe 7-8 lbs. but I have more stamina (I used to get very tired if I made 10,000 in a day) I probably average about 11,500 steps a day anymore. I know if I am going to be able to lose any weight I'm going to have to make some diet changes, but I'm just not willing to do that yet. I did almost completely give up Cokes (down from about 90% of my liquid intake) and started drinking a lot more water.

Those of you who routinely get over 10K, are your jobs active/moderately active? My job is sedentary. So, I basically usually drive an hour and a half to sit for 9 hours and then drive an hour and half back. I have figured how to get 10K. But as a routine, I'm trying to figure out how to get more.

I am up on my feet most of the day. So it is not easy to get it but makes it easier. If I am not at 10,000 when I eventually get home and go walk until I do.

I am up on my feet most of the day. So it is not easy to get it but makes it easier. If I am not at 10,000 when I eventually get home and go walk until I do.

I do too. I either grab the dogs and we walk th 'hood or go to the park, or something like that. Or, I'll walk from back door out to the fence gate and back over and overy until I get them. Or, as a last resort, I will pace through the house till I get them. I am now consistently making my goal, so the game now is how much can I beat it by. Yesterday was over 12K. I'm over 11K right now for today, so hoping to get to 13K.

Buddy got one and said he gained weight. After he hit 10K he would reward himself with a snack.

I am not having that issue. I gained all my weight before making this a priority. I don't do rewards. I've made some switches in food, but not really that many since I've always tried to eat healthily. I refuse to "diet" which never ends well for me. And I feel like the changes I'm making are proven to be positive ones by my labs, even if the scale isn't reflective of that. My doctor was very pessimistic about my progress last week when I saw her. But the labs came back waaayyyy better than she counseled me to expect. So she told me to just concentrance on what I'm doing for now. She didn't believe that I was eating healthy and exercising more and not losing weight. But she does now.

If you are getting 10k a day and spend the vast majority of your day in the car and at a desk, I would say you are doing awesome and keep it up!

I work downtown Cincy (10 min drive) and usually will walk the long way in (1,500 steps). I walk at lunch if I don't run. I'll also try and walk at night while listening to a podcast. I'm getting a treadmill so I can walk while watching TV/Sports, which in my opinion is the easiest walking to do.

On average, I'm at about 12k a day but Monday-Thurs is 15k-18k but my weekends are terrible. I have a lot built into my work day to allow myself to walk and get those big days but when I travel to the field office I work with and stay next door, I lose those steps and really struggle to hit 10k without a longer run. So really that is an awesome job and shows a lot of determination on your end! I walk when it's more convenient to fit in, but sounds like you do no matter what.

I think walking is so important and an awesome way to get your mind back in neutral. I absolutely need it now and also enjoy having some 1-1 meetings while walking.

I don't know if you drink soft drinks or not, but I can promise you the average person who drinks 2-3 soft drinks a day will lose 10-15 pounds in a year just by cutting soft drinks out and replacing with flavored water.

That didn't work for me. I was easily drinking 2-3+ daily. I've almost eliminated soft drinks, (Maybe one meal a week) and replaced them with water. I also started to walk 10,000 steps a day. (My normal daily activites during the work week probably take up 3,000 to 5,000) and I have only lost about 5 or 6 lbs. I've been working on it a little over a year. Need to improve my diet as well, just don't have the willpower to do that yet. But you would think the loss of the calories from soft drinks would have helped more than it did.