10,000 steps

rockmom

So, since February, I've been on a mission, making many, many lifestyle changes. One thing I began in May was to get to 10,000 steps per day. This is in addition to a host of other initiatives.

As many of you know, I have an hour and a half one way commute to work. I leave the house around 5:45 am ideally and head back toward home around 4:30pm or 5pm, arriving home somewhere around 6 or 6:30. So, I've really been challenged to try and get to my 10K daily goal. But for the last 7 days, I've hit it! It has required significant ingenuity and much forethought, but I'm on pretty solid footing now!

Long story short, do any of you count your steps, either as your primary excercise or in conjunction with another regimen? I an well aware that I need to add different excercise, and I am particularly interested in how you incorporate additional excercise into your days, how you are able to find the time. What advice can you give a 50 year old fat woman with bad knees? OH....and I can't run.

I'm pleased that I've lowered my cholesterol and all associated indicies significantly. But I need to get my HDL # up, and to do that, I need to excercise even more. It's one of my last goals for this phase of change. Help an old lady out! :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never underestimate walking, especially if you have a sedentary lifestyle. I learned that through personal experience.

It has done wonders so far, but phase 2 includes losing 30-40 pounds, and I don't think it's going to happen just walking. I feel like I really need to up the ante.

Those of you who routinely get over 10K, are your jobs active/moderately active? My job is sedentary. So, I basically usually drive an hour and a half to sit for 9 hours and then drive an hour and half back. I have figured how to get 10K. But as a routine, I'm trying to figure out how to get more.

Those of you who routinely get over 10K, are your jobs active/moderately active? My job is sedentary. So, I basically usually drive an hour and a half to sit for 9 hours and then drive an hour and half back. I have figured how to get 10K. But as a routine, I'm trying to figure out how to get more.

Congrats! You are doing great, Rockmom! I can see how it is hard for you to get the 10,000 steps each day with your job and your drive. I'm getting at least 10k steps by the time I head out to my car to head home each day---but that's because I rarely sit down all day.

Do you have to sit...One of my co-workers uses a standing desk. He has a stool just in case he wants to sit.

My daughter took up golf this year and they have to walk all the holes. I've been walking the holes with her and carry the clubs in practice rounds. That's quite a work out. They are done after the state tourney next week, but we'll probably still get out until it gets too cold.