10,000 steps

rockmom

Awesome @rockmom, keep it up. I've had many pedometers the last 8 years. It drivesxme to reach a minimum 10K a day. It doesn't hurt that I'm in a wellness program that basically yields $300 in Amazon gift cards for walking.

Thanks! My daughter's job has a similar program. Mine doesn't though. Watch...I'll get all healthy and then they'll start one. :lol2:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitbit is ruining my life. If I have to hear one more story about how many miles the wife has/has yet to walk to get her 'steps in' I may :puke:

My theory is, if you want to get steps in, go to the kitchen and make me a sandwich.

God love ya...get your own steps in getting your own sandwich. :p

If you are getting 10k a day and spend the vast majority of your day in the car and at a desk, I would say you are doing awesome and keep it up!

I work downtown Cincy (10 min drive) and usually will walk the long way in (1,500 steps). I walk at lunch if I don't run. I'll also try and walk at night while listening to a podcast. I'm getting a treadmill so I can walk while watching TV/Sports, which in my opinion is the easiest walking to do.

On average, I'm at about 12k a day but Monday-Thurs is 15k-18k but my weekends are terrible. I have a lot built into my work day to allow myself to walk and get those big days but when I travel to the field office I work with and stay next door, I lose those steps and really struggle to hit 10k without a longer run. So really that is an awesome job and shows a lot of determination on your end! I walk when it's more convenient to fit in, but sounds like you do no matter what.

I think walking is so important and an awesome way to get your mind back in neutral. I absolutely need it now and also enjoy having some 1-1 meetings while walking.

Thanks for the encouragement! I really, really enjoy walking....always have. Even better, I love hiking. I like both because I can vary my routes and always have a new experience. But, I may have to see what I can do for those long, cold, winter days when it's not going to be as appealing to go walking, especially when it's dog walking time.

I, too, NEED my walking. It's as much a mental cleanser for me as it is physical excercise. It really helps keep my stress level under control.

I don't know if you drink soft drinks or not, but I can promise you the average person who drinks 2-3 soft drinks a day will lose 10-15 pounds in a year just by cutting soft drinks out and replacing with flavored water.

Not a soft drink person. I MAY have a root beer every 3 or 4 months. Sometimes, I might get a lemonade. I almost always drink water, unsweetened tea and black coffee. About twice a month I splurge for a lattee, but it's unflavored and unsweetened. I may juse have to face the fact that I'm 50 & fat. :lol2: Sounds like an awful reality show. :lol:

Not a soft drink person. I MAY have a root beer every 3 or 4 months. Sometimes, I might get a lemonade. I almost always drink water, unsweetened tea and black coffee. About twice a month I splurge for a lattee, but it's unflavored and unsweetened. I may juse have to face the fact that I'm 50 & fat. :lol2: Sounds like an awful reality show. :lol:
Ah, just get the spanx and go get some Italian.

That didn't work for me. I was easily drinking 2-3+ daily. I've almost eliminated soft drinks, (Maybe one meal a week) and replaced them with water. I also started to walk 10,000 steps a day. (My normal daily activites during the work week probably take up 3,000 to 5,000) and I have only lost about 5 or 6 lbs. I've been working on it a little over a year. Need to improve my diet as well, just don't have the willpower to do that yet. But you would think the loss of the calories from soft drinks would have helped more than it did.

How many calories are you getting in a day? I would guess when you cut the soft drinks you replaced them with something else without really realizing it.

Where a lot of people come up short, more so women than men, is they don't do any type of strength training. As you age you loose muscle mass. Your metabolism is already slowing and as you lose muscle with age it only gets worse. You will see more benefit from strength training then you will cardio if done correctly.

Where a lot of people come up short, more so women than men, is they don't do any type of strength training. As you age you loose muscle mass. Your metabolism is already slowing and as you lose muscle with age it only gets worse. You will see more benefit from strength training then you will cardio if done correctly.

Truer words have never been spoken! I am training to run the Columbus Marathon on October 15th and have not lost any weight during the training (more running and less strength training than normal for me). I really don't need to lose weight (maybe 5 lbs. would be nice) but I am looking forward to getting the Marathon behind me so I can get back to more strength and less cardio training...

How many calories are you getting in a day? I would guess when you cut the soft drinks you replaced them with something else without really realizing it.

I don't really know. My diet sucks, but I ate that way while I was drinking Cokes as well. Figured without the Cokes I'd lose something. I went from drinking almost no water a day to usually getting about 50 to 70 oz per day on average now. I tend to drink a lot of beer on weekends, I know that doesn't help.

Maybe that is my problem. I haven't done any type of strenght training. My exercise program has consisted of walking with an occasional slow jog.

I don't really know. My diet sucks, but I ate that way while I was drinking Cokes as well. Figured without the Cokes I'd lose something. I went from drinking almost no water a day to usually getting about 50 to 70 oz per day on average now. I tend to drink a lot of beer on weekends, I know that doesn't help.

It's really all about calories in and calories out. You were use to getting calories from the sodas so when you cut them out, if you weren't careful you could have simply replaced them something else and really didn't realize it. At the end of the day if your diets sucks it really doesn't matter. Put some work into improve that and you will much better results.

Maybe that is my problem. I haven't done any type of strenght training. My exercise program has consisted of walking with an occasional slow jog.

Remember, what ever program you do, your work sets need to be taxing. If you are able to finish a set without much effect on your heart rate then you aren't doing yourself any favors.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I thought I'd give it a couple of weeks, and see if I could report any significant progress. I'm happy to report my daily average is up to just shy of 12k! I'm getting there! I even have a group from my office building joining me from time to time on walks. Sometimes, you may see up to 8 people walking in business attire and sneakers through West Baden/French Lick, IN! :D Watch out world! Rockmom's going to get us all in shape! :lol2: