Tulsa Police Shooting Questioned

Clyde

What happened to tasers? This seems like the perfect situation for a taser.

The male cop used his taser, the female cop used the gun.

One officer, identified as Tyler Turnbough, deployed his Taser, and the second, Betty Shelby, discharged her weapon at Crutcher, who was pronounced dead at a hospital. Shelby was placed on paid administrative leave following the shooting.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally, this is not a situation that should've escalated to deadly force. The officers should've tased him if he wouldn't obey orders & they felt threatened. And then the officer could've used it earlier rather than let him walk all the way back to the vehicle.

I agree it should not have escalated. Just stop walking away and no need even for a taser. If he has done nothing wrong, they wait for the tow truck and he goes on his way. If he stopped and had done something wrong, he has his day in court in front of a jury of his peers.

Tasers don't always work. Plus, tasers don't always work. Not to mention, tasers don't always work. When you couple the fact that tasers don't always work with the fact that tasers don't always work, police officers will tell you tasers don't always work.

Taser doesn't work, then what? Baton? Pepper spray? Firearm?

This mind set of "They should have tased him" has to stop. It's a tool in the force continuim. Someone pulls a gun or knife, you don't draw a taser. If you are unsure of what the threat is, you don't draw a taser.

And police officers aren't taught to shoot in the leg so that they are assured of living.

The biggest issue in society today is the amount of contempt that people have for authority and authority's growing inability to deal with contempt. It's an unfortunate vicious cycle.

Tasers don't always work. Plus, tasers don't always work. Not to mention, tasers don't always work. When you couple the fact that tasers don't always work with the fact that tasers don't always work, police officers will tell you tasers don't always work.

This mind set of "They should have tased him" has to stop. It's a tool in the force continuim. Someone pulls a gun or knife, you don't draw a taser. If you are unsure of what the threat is, you don't draw a taser.

And police officers aren't taught to shoot in the leg so that they are assured of living.

The biggest issue in society today is the amount of contempt that people have for authority and authority's growing inability to deal with contempt. It's an unfortunate vicious cycle.

"Tasers don't always work" so might as well put "a bullet in his head". Viscous cycle, indeed...

Wow, that kind of sounds like shoot to kill first, then ask questions. I think i'm going to start buying bullet proof clothing just to be safe. :stop:

Wow, that kind of sounds like shoot to kill first, then ask questions. I think i'm going to start buying bullet proof clothing just to be safe. :stop:

No, it really isn't. Whenever there is a police-involved shooting, the common thought process is --

1.) Why didn't they tase him first

and

2.) Why didn't they just shoot him in the arm or leg.

I've seen it on threads in here. A taser isn't always appropriate or practical. And police aren't taught to wound if they feel like their life is threatened.

In watching this video, I don't know why the officer fired. Without audio and a gun, it doesn't look good.

But it also goes back to what I said in the above. There is contempt of authority and there is authority that doesn't know how to properly deal with it.