September 20, 201610 yr I don't know what they were telling him. They may have been. They may have been telling him to stop moving. Of course, if she was saying that, there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to allow him to get to his vehicle. I don't know. I don't know what procedures are. I would imagine she should've done whatever they're trained to do to stop suspects from simply walking away. If you don't know then how in the world can you make the statement above?
September 20, 201610 yr If you don't know then how in the world can you make the statement above? Very easily.
September 20, 201610 yr Cop says stop you stop . If cant go ignore, ignore, ignore up to the point where you can seen as putting an officers life at risk and expect the situation not to end very badly . Please people , just comply with simplest of orders from your LEO . That dude brought this on himself . That lady cant be expected to subdue that guy one on one as he was ignoring her request . She already had weapon drawn BEFORE backup arrived . Just respect the authority of police.
September 20, 201610 yr I'm curious for more details about the officer and the deceased. How long had the officer that fired the shot been an officer? I'm guessing in the 5-8 year range. What is the toxicology of the deceased? Was he on something that would make him incapable of following directions (such as spice or PCP). Does the deceased have a history of mental health issues? I think we can all agree the deceased's actions weren't normal as the officers approached. There is no bigger gap in police training in 2016 than the police officer's ability to properly engage and deal with a person suffering mental health issues. Did the police have a past history with this guy? Was he known to assault officers or resist in the past? Is this why officers arrived at a seemingly non-violent call and some immediately pulled their guns? As far as the tools on their bat belt goes, let's say they have a gun, taser, baton, pepper spray, and handcuffs. Pepper spray isn't an option due to the proximity of the other officers. Baton, maybe. But after the Rodney King incident in which the LAPD officers were way out of bounds and criminal in their actions, officers don't like using them. It's not a good look no matter how effective. When the TV news shows an officer using a baton properly, it still evokes comparisons to the Rodney King case. Handcuffs? You have to go hands-on in order to get the cuffs on. No way one officer is doing this alone. Maybe not even two. Officers are trained to use the taser to keep from going hands on when someone resists their attempt to cuff them. Ah yes. The taser. Taser didn't work. Now what. We've been through the belt. What should the officer use as the deceased is going back to the driver's door of his vehicle?
September 20, 201610 yr You know, I've went back and reread the entire thread. Only 3 posters have mentioned race at all you 2 and PP92. I think people are sick of needless loss of life no matter what race. I am sick of needless loss of life but I will also continue to be a voice of the black community here on BGP. It is an uncomfortable subject and it isn't always easily discussed. I am aware of that. Past history suggests that @TheDeuce and I will see the same thing in this situation and that any poster who isn't black but appears to choose the wrong side will be seen as a "holier than thou poster who needs to get off their high horse". Maybe the media is fanning the flames by bringing this story to nationwide attention but understand this. I'll be making sure my kids watch the video with me that they understand that even if they aren't a threat to anyone's safety they will still be seen as a threat if they "look like a bad dude" and when dealing with the police they could lose their life as a result so to please please please please do exactly what the officers tell them to do because video tells us that they won't be given the benefit of the doubt. If that makes me wrong then so be it. I just don't want to lose my kids over a misunderstanding and then have to hear people talk about what they should have done to not catch a bullet they didn't deserve.
September 20, 201610 yr The article that I read said that the male officer deployed his taser but the female officer used her firearm. It doesn't sound as though the taser was given a chance to work. Unless she, for some reason, thought she also had her taser drawn.
September 20, 201610 yr Unless she, for some reason, thought she also had her taser drawn. It would certainly not be the first time that has happened. Are we at the point that the tasers need to be designed to where something other than a gun type trigger is used to deploy them?
September 20, 201610 yr The helicopter pilot and his choice of words to describe the guy don't change a thing that happened on the ground . To me .. anyone that ignores direct police orders is a " bad dude " rap sheet or no rap sheet .
September 20, 201610 yr Something that I noticed after watching the helicopter video again. The suspect, as stated earlier, did not have his hands up when he was shot. That must be made perfectly clear because some people want to act like he was shot with his hands up. The entire time he had his hands up and STILL disobeying orders, he was not shot. He reached his vehicle and then and only then did he lower his hands. They didn't shot him right away even then and I can only guess that they were continuing to bark out orders that he refused to adhere to. He was not shot until 12 seconds after lowering his hands and what looked like, reaching into the car or at the door or something. 12 seconds is a very VERY long time in a situation like that. That seemed to be missed in this entire thing. The officers gave the suspect more than enough time to do the right thing. 12 seconds is an eternity when trying to weigh the options of what the suspect may be doing when you are an officer worried for your own safety at that point. The entire problem comes down to do what the officers are telling you to do, if you think they are in the wrong you will have your day in court. Much better than losing your life over.
September 20, 201610 yr What always gets me is that people are quick to say "you guys sentence the cops before all the facts come out," but there are a few on here who refuse to just say "yep, the cop made a mistake." Haven't done that once in all the cases we've talked about here. I wish I could say I was surprised at the double standard, but I'd be lying.
September 20, 201610 yr Has the bad dude's rap sheet been released yet to justify his death? What would a Rap sheet have to do with justifying his death? Even if he had no Criminal History, or a Criminal history as long as my arm, doesn't have anything to do with this incident at all. Maybe the "Bad Dude" since you love going that route should have simply listened to the police in the first place and then maybe he would be alive to report to everyone what his "Rap" sheet had on it.
September 20, 201610 yr What always gets me is that people are quick to say "you guys sentence the cops before all the facts come out," but there are a few on here who refuse to just say "yep, the cop made a mistake." Haven't done that once in all the cases we've talked about here. I wish I could say I was surprised at the double standard, but I'd be lying. The cops in Cleveland who shot the kid in the park were definitely wrong!!
September 20, 201610 yr I am sick of needless loss of life but I will also continue to be a voice of the black community here on BGP. It is an uncomfortable subject and it isn't always easily discussed. I am aware of that. Past history suggests that @TheDeuce and I will see the same thing in this situation and that any poster who isn't black but appears to choose the wrong side will be seen as a "holier than thou poster who needs to get off their high horse". Maybe the media is fanning the flames by bringing this story to nationwide attention but understand this. I'll be making sure my kids watch the video with me that they understand that even if they aren't a threat to anyone's safety they will still be seen as a threat if they "look like a bad dude" and when dealing with the police they could lose their life as a result so to please please please please do exactly what the officers tell them to do because video tells us that they won't be given the benefit of the doubt. If that makes me wrong then so be it. I just don't want to lose my kids over a misunderstanding and then have to hear people talk about what they should have done to not catch a bullet they didn't deserve. You make good points PP. But data shows an African-American person is 23 more times likely to be killed by another African-American than by a police officer (based on 2015 crime data). Serious question. I'm curious if you also show your kids videos of news reports of innocent African-American children being gunned down by other African-Americans since that's where they are, statistically speaking, more likely to catch a bullet they don't deserve
September 20, 201610 yr Ah yes. The taser. Taser didn't work. Now what. We've been through the belt. What should the officer use as the deceased is going back to the driver's door of his vehicle? What makes you think the taser didn't work?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.