Generics & Knock-Offs That Are "Just Like The Real Thing"

Colonels_Wear_Blue

The one that folks seem to like the most with pulled pork is my orange pop sauce. I'll take 2 of the small containers of Kroger original BBQ sauce and spice it up with a little red pepper, black pepper, onion salt and garlic powder, then add a few ounces of orange soda to thin out the sauce and give it a twangy citrus kick.

That sounds great. I'll give that a try on some chicken this weekend.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kroger Peanut butter taste exactly like JIF to me as well.

You must have burnt out some taste buds back in the day...Kroger Peanut Butter isn't CLOSE to JIF.

Wife bought Kroger brand last week and my daughter and I had a serious discussion about my wife's future in this family.

I can eat it, but let's not pretend it's Jif!

I assume you guys know this, but maybe not, Kroger (and any other non-brand label like SYSCO or US Foods as well) manufacturers very little (predominantly salad dressing), and in most every other case, the Kroger brand is being made / canned / bottled in the same facility as your favorite name brands. I believe Del Monte is still the Kroger branded can veggies. Now the ingredients are usually tweaked, ever so slightly, but in a lot of cases they are coming off the same line, or at the very least, in the same facility.

That was not my experience with most store brands. Some are made by the name brand but from what I saw working in that business for many years, it wasn't as many as most people thought.

Coke or Pepsi don't make store cola, for instance...independent bottlers like Cott Beverages bottle it.

Store brand Bread is one thing that is indeed brought in by one of the other major bread vendors every day as is store brand milk.

Walmart Peanut Butter is made by Peter Pan, however.

-Considering that most canned Texas style chili w/beans is like eating Alpo, the only one so far that I've found that I can at least tolerate is Kroger's chili w/beans.

I'll add my own shredded cheese and onions and it gets me there, but if anybody knows a better one then I'm on it. A real good canned Texas style chili w/beans is hard to find.

-I've in the past been accused of being fufu for preferring natural creamy or chunky peanut butter because it doesn't have any bad hydrogenated oils in it, or extra sugar, and had to remind others that having the two simple ingredients of peanuts and salt could hardly be categorized as fufu.

Until I had it I didn't realize that I really had never had real peanut butter before. The popular brands are way too sickly sweet by comparison, and I simply just dig me some peanuty flavor without the extra sugar overload.

Most natural brands are too expensive, but the Kroger brand natural peanut butter is the only one that I consider a bargain and is often on sale, while it's all I need for my peanut butter to be.

-Kroger reduced sugar strawberry preserves are significantly cheaper than name brands as well.

-Kroger canned pineapple is just as good as Dole, but about .50 cheaper.

-Kroger Ice Cream is fine and typically much cheaper than name brands

-I'm fine with Kroger kosher dill spears, and for an extra kick they also have a zesty version.

-The Simple Truth Soy Milk is just as good as the Silk brand, but always cheaper, and even more so with a digital coupon which they frequently offer.

-Kroger eggs and cheeses are routinely the better deal.

-Kroger cream cheese is always the better deal over Philadelphia.

When I was a kid, we had a barber college as well, place had about 10-12 chairs I think. Same deal, we'd get the cut and then the instructor would come over and check it out (of course most of the time I got what was called a "butch"). I believe we paid 50 cents for a haircut then. I remember waiting quite a while because the place was busy most of the time.

Pike Street right? That's where my dad would take me as a kid for most of my first haircuts. I was too young to remember why, but eventually he started taking me to a two-seater place over on Pike closer to Angelo's Pizza, and a few doors down from Al Bonar's Barber Shop.

Like you said, the Barber College was busy all of the time, so that might've had something to do with it. If you remember the name of the one that I'm talking about that would be cool because I haven't a clue.

You must have burnt out some taste buds back in the day...Kroger Peanut Butter isn't CLOSE to JIF.

Wife bought Kroger brand last week and my daughter and I had a serious discussion about my wife's future in this family.

I can eat it, but let's not pretend it's Jif!

I keep two jars of peanut butter at home, Jif and Kroger brand. I put the Kroger brand in the dog's Kong toy and use Jif for human consumption.

That sounds great. I'll give that a try on some chicken this weekend.

Warning: It will be a bit of a thin, runny sauce that won't work great for chicken, and chicken usually doesn't always go well with a citrus-based sauce. I do the orange pop sauce strictly for pulled pork. I tend to use a honey-based or bourbon-based sauce mix for chicken.

Pike Street right? That's where my dad would take me as a kid for most of my first haircuts. I was too young to remember why, but eventually he started taking me to a two-seater place over on Pike closer to Angelo's Pizza, and a few doors down from Al Bonar's Barber Shop.

Like you said, the Barber College was busy all of the time, so that might've had something to do with it. If you remember the name of the one that I'm talking about that would be cool because I haven't a clue.

Yes, went to both and even the Dixon brothers' shop(which was located near Angelo's on Pike) . However most of the time I went to a small barber shop on Hermes Street a block down from Pike in Lewisburg.