Generics & Knock-Offs That Are "Just Like The Real Thing"

Colonels_Wear_Blue

Warning: It will be a bit of a thin, runny sauce that won't work great for chicken, and chicken usually doesn't always go well with a citrus-based sauce. I do the orange pop sauce strictly for pulled pork. I tend to use a honey-based or bourbon-based sauce mix for chicken.

Maybe I won't put as much, if any, orange pop in it. My wife has gout and needs to stay away from pork. I'll let you know how it is.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you pickle tomatoes? Just teasing since you had a great crop this year. Actually, I was envious as that is my favorite vegetable/fruit. :thumb:

None were pickled, LOL, but we did end up with 81 pints and 44 quarts of various tomato products from spicy juice, sauce, puree', and marinara to replicating my mom's spaghetti sauce in mass quantities along with tomato-basil soup. We are ready for the zombie apocalypse! We also canned 35 pints and 8 quarts of various pickled items like beets, okra, and pickles.

We did make some tomato powder though! Dried tomatoes and ground them up fine. I used some to thicken a sauce a bit and worked like a charm!

Yes, went to both and even the Dixon brothers' shop(which was located near Angelo's on Pike) . However most of the time I went to a small barber shop on Hermes Street a block down from Pike in Lewisburg.

Dixon brothers... Wow... good memory... I wouldn't have guessed that if my life depended on it.

If a steak needs that...I don't wanna eat it. it IS good on burgers though.

Like I originally posted, I rarely use steak sauce but if I do it's always A1. However, I cannot remember the last time I used it.

When we were low on funds at that time we were grocery shopping we used to get a round steak or some other real cheap cut, I would break out the A1.

Dixon brothers... Wow... good memory... I wouldn't have guessed that if my life depended on it.

I'm old. Do you remember the store between Dixon's and Angelo's that had the old Coke cooler and the lady that was not always that nice? (I forgot the name of the store)

Like I originally posted, I rarely use steak sauce but if I do it's always A1. However, I cannot remember the last time I used it.

When we were low on funds at that time we were grocery shopping we used to get a round steak or some other real cheap cut, I would break out the A1.

Oh, I forgot, when things were really tight and we couldn't afford A1, we used the no. 1 all purpose steak sauce.............ketchup/catsup!

None were pickled, LOL, but we did end up with 81 pints and 44 quarts of various tomato products from spicy juice, sauce, puree', and marinara to replicating my mom's spaghetti sauce in mass quantities along with tomato-basil soup. We are ready for the zombie apocalypse! We also canned 35 pints and 8 quarts of various pickled items like beets, okra, and pickles.

We did make some tomato powder though! Dried tomatoes and ground them up fine. I used some to thicken a sauce a bit and worked like a charm!

That is a ton of work but you feel such satisfaction when you look at the shelves in your pantry. It is almost joyful to hear those canning seals pop. I haven't canned anything this summer since I had that 5 hour back surgery in May. But I plan to be ready next summer. I dread going into winter with my cupboard bare, lol. Right now Papaw is still ( learning to be since he's never cooked until May) the chef. I will think of you each time I open a store bought can.

That was not my experience with most store brands. Some are made by the name brand but from what I saw working in that business for many years, it wasn't as many as most people thought.

Coke or Pepsi don't make store cola, for instance...independent bottlers like Cott Beverages bottle it.

Store brand Bread is one thing that is indeed brought in by one of the other major bread vendors every day as is store brand milk.

Walmart Peanut Butter is made by Peter Pan, however.

I was going to say something similar JD but you beat me to it. There are all sorts of independent food/beverage manufactures that make "private label" brands and many, if not most of the national brands do not make the off name or store branded stuff.

Easy close by example...Algood Foods in Louisville. I am familiar with them because I have done safety training and an audit in that facility. They make peanut butter for all sorts of stores and private label brands. They make Kroger peanut butter as a matter of fact, among many other labels. And contrary to what @Lawnboy13 believes, EVERY recipe is different, even if some just slightly. Some have more/less sugar, others more/less salt, some use different sweeteners like molasses or honey, some want the peanuts roasted longer for a different flavor. A lot of people think the major manufactures just make pretty much everything and that's just not the case.

Ummmmmm...and mine was where last Saturday?:idunno: