Kaepernick refuses to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people

HammerTime

So you are good with him doing this? I am curious...

Also, and again I am serious about this question that I posted earlier in the thread...is there another country that "oppresses minorities" less than the US? Maybe there are many. I just don't know of them. I think overall, the US treats minorities much better than most. But that is admittedly a white dude's opinion...

You can ask the question to one hundred people and you'll get one hundred different answers. In my opinion I think it is more about the attitude or belief that people have that it is incredulous for blacks to feel like they are oppressed in this country. I'll also add that just because the US seems to appear to treat minorities the best doesn't mean minorities still feel like they are treated good or that all minorities are treated good. Everyone has different situations and different outcomes. It isn't fair to lump my experiences in with others who have had different experiences. It doesn't paint an accurate picture no matter how much people try to make it an accurate picture.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On a personal financial level, very likely an unwise choice. However, it is his right and those that want THEIR rights protected disagree the most. I find that hypocritical but they will not because, well, it doesn't fit their value system.

I don't admire or condemn him. He lives with the consequences good or bad, not me.

PP - I didn't mean to come down on you like that sounded . I hope you have a great . You don't need to remind me I've never walked in your shoes . I'm gonna leave to go church where people of all races are welcomed and loved . I'll get my weekly hug from the guy I've set by for 10 years , an Afro-American named Ralph Clay. One of the most Godly men I know . On special occasion we even share a holy kiss on the cheek . I hope you have a great day

PP - I didn't mean to come down on you like that sounded . I hope you have a great . You don't need to remind me I've never walked in your shoes . I'm gonna leave to go church where people of all races are welcomed and loved . I'll get my weekly hug from the guy I've set by for 10 years , an Afro-American named Ralph Clay. One of the most Godly men I know . On special occasion we even share a holy kiss on the cheek . I hope you have a great day

I hope you have a great day as well. :thumb:

He is free to leave this country he hates so much, many other people do the same from other countries they feel are oppressing them. Oh wait, those people leave their countries to get away from

oopression and go where? Oh yea, HERE!!!!!

He's such a mental midget.

One of my favorite pics of him this week was a pic of him standing in front of his shoe collection where he owns hundreds of sneakers and the caption says

NFL guy who says America ‘oppresses’ blacks has collection of shoes made with child labor

I know we're making comparisons to Ali. Perhaps this is a more appropriate analogy:

griot-magazine-peter-norman-white-man-in-that-photo-black-power-salute.jpg

This is definitely a better comparison but then again this took place when civil

rights was in the midst of all the racial tyrany etc. today isn't even close. I'm still waiting for someone to show me how African Americans are being treated unfairly today or don't have the same rights etc.

Guarantee you the same was said in '67.

How is this not a stand?

Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. It took the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn that decision. Show me how Kaepernick's symbolism of not standing for the playing of the national anthem is the same. It's not remotely close.

1. When I hear CK say he thinks you should be able to break the law with violent crimes and get away with it then I'll put any stock into your first sentence.

2. If you think Ali was only anti-war then I'd say do some more reading. Ali's INITIAL stances were ALL aimed at oppression. He just took it one step further by refusing to serve.

Again, read my last post. Times were very different then. Civil rights movement was in full swing. I still today have yet to see where blacks are oppressed. What can't they do that you and I can do? What gives them the right to commit violent crimes and get away with it. The statement he made is in reference to just that Clyde. He thinks the criminals who were shot were oppressed because they got shot. That tells me he believes if you are African American you should be allowed to be a violent criminal with no reprocusions.

Now one if he said he is standing up for the right for blacks to drunk from he same water fountain or sit in the front of the bus or have the right to vote or have the right to live in any area whites do and if all those things were things blacks couldn't do today then I would support him. The fact is blacks aren't being prevented from anything that whites can do.

You our make it sound as if they are, can you please give me a list of things such as I offered up that takes place today?

Nothing like the smell of white people telling black people how we should think and act in the morning. Ahhhhhhhh, it smells so amazing.

I don't see anyone doing that. Most have said he has the right to do what he did, I agree. Personally, I think it's more symbolism over substance as I stated earlier. It will solve nothing. It will change nothing. But, he's free to do it if he wants. People do have the right to disagree with his so called stand.

So it looks like I need to add some more so people can understand the example I used with Ali. I thought it was clear but it wasn't. My fault, I guess.

Ali refused to fight for many reasons. The main reason was he saw that white boys were running to Canada or going to college to avoid the draft and having to serve like his fellow black brothers. He even once said "my enemies are white people. Not VietCong."

Villified. He, too, was making a lot of money at the time(like CK). He took a stand that cost him a lot of money. People (read: white America) hated him. You can only imagine the memes that would have popped up in 1967.

So like CK , Ali said America oppressed black folk. So in 1967 Ali was taking the exact same stand as CK.

Is the stand right? Depends on what lens you're looking through. Depends on how you interpret "oppressed." Depends on what he's saying is wrong (hint: It's NOT that blacks should be ALLOWED to commit crimes.)

So, again, in 1967 everyone of us would have been on BGP and FB killing Ali than we are with CK.

With time and with emotion removed from the situation some re-evaluated the stance and used history to make a judgment as to the veracity of the comments made.

That's the point I was making with Ali.

Again your point is way off. It would make sense if we were I a time where blacks didn't have the same rights whites had. It would make sense if in fact blacks were being oppressed today when CK made his statement. The truth however is you can not even come close to comparing today with the 60's when it comes to oppression and civil rights.

Your comparison is like saying CK's statements should be compared to Blacks in the 1860's because both blacks back then and today faced the same oppression.

Nothing like the smell of white people telling black people how we should think and act in the morning. Ahhhhhhhh, it smells so amazing.

Nothing like Black People telling us how much they are oppressed but have zero examples of said oppression. It's just the same old "Woe is me, I'm black and I am treated so badly although I can't think of an incident to support my claim"

Edited by Hellbird

Cmon PP , quite frankly you are far far better than that . If you think CP made a good choice and its something you yourself would do then just so . The only thing I hate is anyone of any color would read this thread and come to the conclusion you have . Good gracias . Are you that polarized ?

His post doesn't surprise me at all.

I don't see anyone doing that. Most have said he has the right to do what he did, I agree. Personally, I think it's more symbolism over substance as I stated earlier. It will solve nothing. It will change nothing. But, he's free to do it if he wants. People do have the right to disagree with his so called stand.

Truth. I just find the conversation around it interesting. Most white people are mad or bothered by it. Black people are supportive or indifferent. Same old same old.