Best gym in Nky?

Just wanted to get some of your guys ideas on who has the best gym in Northern Kentucky? Size, feel, history and atmosphere can all play a part.

My top 3 would be Holmes 1, Cov Cath 2 and Ryle 3. Mason Co. isnt really a nky team but I have to give a shot out to The Fieldhouse it's the best gym in the state in my opinion.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to get some of your guys ideas on who has the best gym in Northern Kentucky? Size, feel, history and atmosphere can all play a part.

My top 3 would be Holmes 1, Cov Cath 2 and Ryle 3. Mason Co. isnt really a nky team but I have to give a shot out to The Fieldhouse it's the best gym in the state in my opinion.

Holmes has a very nice facility along with Conner and Ryle. However, unless its CCH or HC, I don't think there's much of an atmosphere in the fieldhouse. Great place to watch a game, though.

I've always liked HC's crackerbox.

Holmes is always a great place to go watch a tournament game but I don't think for just a Holmes game that their is much of a atmosphere as far as student and community support. CCH on the other hand is becoming an old crummy gym but what atmosphere they have in that place. Every game is quite an event..

As for a couple others not in NKY I greatly enjoy the Fieldhouse in Mason Cty and if you have never been to Henry Ctys gym it is something you need to see.. Like going back in time.

Holmes has a very nice facility along with Conner and Ryle. However, unless its CCH or HC, I don't think there's much of an atmosphere in the fieldhouse. Great place to watch a game, though.

I've always liked HC's crackerbox.

Man, you've got to go to the 10th region tourney, or even the MCIT; if you don't think the fieldhouse has atmosphere!! Agree with you on HC's gym--A real throwback!! Ryle's is big, but I've not seen it rocking like CCH's in a big game. NCC not a very player or fan friendly gym, but can get rowdy during a big game. Campbell Middle is nicely remodeled and will rock during the CrossTown Shootout.

This wasn't asked, but my overwhelming worst would have to be Highlands!! Old, dark, dark, dark, cramped, either cold or hot, and an absolute embarassment to a school with that many resources!!

Best atmosphere I've experienced is when CCH plays HC at HC when both teams are good ,closely followed by CCH vs HC at CCH!

Some of the greatest games atmosphere wise ever played were when these two hooked up in the late 60's and early 70's in their respective gyms.

I'm glad CCH kept their "old" gym when they built the new school. There are so many memories in that gym. Just like Fenway & Wrigley, I hope CCH & HC never get new gyms!

Man, you've got to go to the 10th region tourney, or even the MCIT; if you don't think the fieldhouse has atmosphere!! Agree with you on HC's gym--A real throwback!! Ryle's is big, but I've not seen it rocking like CCH's in a big game. NCC not a very player or fan friendly gym, but can get rowdy during a big game. Campbell Middle is nicely remodeled and will rock during the CrossTown Shootout.

This wasn't asked, but my overwhelming worst would have to be Highlands!! Old, dark, dark, dark, cramped, either cold or hot, and an absolute embarassment to a school with that many resources!!

You will be pleased to know that the gym has finally been upgraded somewhat. Floor was completely stripped and repainted.

There are plans for a new gym at Covington Catholic, but those are still a few years away. They plan on keeping the old gym (or at least they did, the last I heard) for other events (Bingo, Football locker room, JV / Frosh practices).

The best gym is Ryle. It's one of the largest and all around the best. Holmes is #2.

The worst is Highlands or Holy Cross. If you've ever been in either locker room (when you're not the home team), you'll know why. Simon Kenton always had awful lighting, so that deserves a mention. Hopefully they have fixed that blue tint by now.

FWIW, I love games at Holy Cross & HHS - that is, if you can get in the door.

I re-read my post and I see where I was not clear. The "lack of atmosphere" was talking about games at Holmes other than when its against CCH or HC.

I've never had the chance to to visit Mason County but I hear its very nice.

Some of the greatest games atmosphere wise ever played were when these two hooked up in the late 60's and early 70's in their respective gyms.

!

If we're going back in time, let me say the atmosphere and electricity at a Conner Boone game in the 70s was awesome. Both bands cranked up - a couple of thousand people in the gym with people standing 3 deep under the baskets - very exciting.

I re-read my post and I see where I was not clear. The "lack of atmosphere" was talking about games at Holmes other than when its against CCH or HC.

I've never had the chance to to visit Mason County but I hear its very nice.

Try it and I think you'll like it!! The 10th region tourney with 6000-7000 people is something to see!!:thumb:

Boys, I have to say Bellevue,,,,,,,don't laugh. Have you tried to shoot in that gym? With the colors on the walls, you can't hardly make out the goal, no background. Definite home court advantage. Not to mention, when we travelled there last season, we stopped literally 2 blocks from the gym asking for directions and the clerk at the counter had no clue where we were talking about, we were in the process of turning up an alley and accidentally found our school's bus and the gym. Tough place to shoot the rock.