Reds @ Cardinals (8/8 - 8/10)

As bad a loss as this was, does anyone remember the loss earlier this year where the Reds pitcher, I think walked 6 batters, maybe including the game winner. The Reds released him the next day I believe and I don't think he is in baseball anymore, Anyone remember that game and pitcher?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about using his pitchers better? Do you agree with the way he brings them into different situations?

I'm just talking about tonight's game. He brought in Cingrani in the ninth, who has pitched well as closer. I don't think Lorenzen or Iglesias were available. He had already used Wood. He was stuck using Ohlendorf when Cingrani had the epic failure.

Cards batted ten players in the ninth. I was worried when they brought Cingrani in. Still don't have that real good feeling about him. Not mentally there yet. With that said, the had man on second with two outs. Cingrani then walked and then hit the next batter. That is when he should have been pulled. Instead, Price let him give up a first pitch single and then let him pitch to Holliday which he never came close and walked on four pitches. To late to make a change. The last seven batteries, three walked and two HBP. Just a terrible melt down. I bet Cingrani has a tough time looking at Cody Reed in the clubhouse.

What should Price have done differently?

Well it was a non save situation. Maybe start the inning with the worst RP on the staff and bring in the closer if he gets in trouble. Instead the worst RP on the team is used in the highest leverage situation. Don't pitch Iglesias in a 7-0 game. Pitch Ross in the 7th or 8th. Cingrani could have thrown 15 straight balls (He basically did) and I'd still have more confidence he will get the job done over RO. He has no business on a MLB roster and he used him in the most important situation in the game.

I'm just talking about tonight's game. He brought in Cingrani in the ninth, who has pitched well as closer. I don't think Lorenzen or Iglesias were available. He had already used Wood. He was stuck using Ohlendorf when Cingrani had the epic failure.

Okay let's just go back 1 week to last Tuesday for starters. They played St. Louis at home coming off of an offday on Monday. They were tied up 2-2 with Straily pitching well and at that point had only thrown 78 pitches. He pulled Straily and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that move because I don't know the circumstances. I know it was hot that night and maybe he was gassed? He didn't pinch hit for him or anything. He's got Iglesias rested and still brings in Ohlendorf who gives up the lead right away with a HR. The Reds take the lead in the bottom of the 7th 4-3 and Price now brings in Wood who promptly gives up a HR and gives up the lead. Now the Reds to their credit do come back and beat St. Louis closer 7-5.

On Wednesday down 5-4 he brings in Lorenzen in the 8th I assume to keep the game close and uses him 2 innings. I'm okay with that as Lorenzen has been very effective lately. Mind you now Iglesias hasn't pitched since Saturday so going to Thursday he has had 4 days off??

On Thursday he wakes up and realizes Iglesias has had too many days off so he uses him 2 innings in a game the Reds are up 7-0.

On Friday night I guess he feels he is forced to use Ohlendorf in the bottom of the 9th tied 2-2 so guess what happened, we all know thank you another leadoff HR by a reliever.

Saturday no Iglesias in Bailey's debacle but I wouldn't have expected to see him there but guess what on Sunday?

Sunday up 7-2 he brings Iglesias in and also uses Lorenzen and Cingrani each for an inning I guess to salvage the lone win against Pittsburgh. So to this point in 1 week he has used his best reliever twice in one week and both times when they were up big?????

On Monday up 4-0 he brings his closer in to start the 9th. We all know and I'm sure by now that Price knows this as well Cingrani has 1 pitch and that's all he'll throw. You can't throw 25 fastballs to the Cards and not expect bad things to happen and you can't bring straight fastball Ohlendorf in with the bases loaded tied and not expect him to lose the game.

I'm done venting. Bryan Price has proven time and time again he can't manage a bullpen, surprising for a pitching coach. Now all this said I do understand that this team is going nowhere and Price is probably, (I sure hope so), trying to see who he can use where but to me it sure makes me wonder if he truly knows what he is doing.

Cards batted ten players in the ninth. I was worried when they brought Cingrani in. Still don't have that real good feeling about him. Not mentally there yet. With that said, the had man on second with two outs. Cingrani then walked and then hit the next batter. That is when he should have been pulled. Instead, Price let him give up a first pitch single and then let him pitch to Holliday which he never came close and walked on four pitches. To late to make a change. The last seven batteries, three walked and two HBP. Just a terrible melt down. I bet Cingrani has a tough time looking at Cody Reed in the clubhouse.

Holiday was 4 for 8 against Cingrani before last nigth and I'm sure they both knew that.

Why was the outfield playing deep with a 4 run lead? If Carpenter hits a gapper Reds still lead. His line drive should have been an out to end the game.

Thought the exact same thing. If Holiday hits a HR it will be to left or left center. The ball dropped right where Schebler would have been playing in a normal situation with Holiday up.