Supreme Court Justice Ginsburg Bashes Trump

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Supreme Court Justices aren't allowed to say anything negative about political figures?

....Scalia talked negatively about liberal politicians (particularly President Obama) all the time. If I'm not mistaken, he was interviewed as a political consultant on Fox News from time to time.

Give me a break.

So Supreme Court Justices aren't allowed to say anything negative about political figures?

....Scalia talked negatively about liberal politicians (particularly President Obama) all the time. If I'm not mistaken, he was interviewed as a political consultant on Fox News from time to time.

Give me a break.

I do not believe Justice Scalia was ever interviewed as a political consultant on FOX news. He was on Fox News Sunday once.

I do not believe Justice Scalia was ever interviewed as a political consultant on FOX news. He was on Fox News Sunday once.

Fair enough. I'm mistaken about that, I guess.

Regardless, Scalia spoke to the media and frequently spoke in educational settings. He was widely noted for offering his opinions about anyone and anything to all who would hear him. I read an interview by him once where he was quoted (and I'm paraphrasing here) as saying "If we don't offer our opinions and welcome debate, then how are we to get at the truth?"

Give me a break.

No they shouldn't, and from what I have seen, both Democrats and Republicans are saying she stepped way over the line.

Give me a break.

I know you've already walked back from this comment but here's some corroboration from the linked article above for those saying Scalia didn't make these kinds of comments, nor did other SC Justices:

Ed Whelan, president of the Ethics and Public Policy Center and who once clerked for conservative Justice Antonin Scalia, has criticized Ginsburg before for her public comments. But he said this one is more indefensible than any of its predecessors.

"I think this exceeds the others in terms of her indiscretions," Whelan said. "I am not aware of any justice ever expressing views on the merits or demerits of a presidential candidate in the midst of the campaign. I am not a fan of Donald Trump's at all. But the soundness or unsoundness of her concerns about Donald Trump has no bearing on whether it was proper for her to say what she said."

Most of us only see Supreme Court Justices when they enter the Congress and are seated for the State of the Union address. They sit quietly, mostly without expression, and never clap or react to the speech. The network anchors usually explain that this is so they appear to be impartial.

Ginsburg apparently doesn't care so much. It does seem to me, to be inappropriate. But worse by far are her judicial opinions already expressed in decisions before the court.

I have not followed this story or even know what it involves, but as a general rule I think those of judicial rank should refrain from politics, even if their appointment was one of a political variety. It is poor optics. Let your rulings do the talking.

I have not followed this story or even know what it involves, but as a general rule I think those of judicial rank should refrain from politics, even if their appointment was one of a political variety. It is poor optics. Let your rulings do the talking.

This.