Blaming and Shaming Other Parents

hoops5

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, it won't take long for your membership card to arrive. It's not gradual.

For me, it was the first trip to the ER. Little dude some how undid his strap in his high chair and ate it on the tile floor. Momma bear, cried more than he did :lol2:. I was angry because it scared me. By the time we got to the hospital with me driving Mach 12, he was looking at us like "what's the big deal?" ER Dr. Said, "oh this must be your first."

I'll tell ya, until it's your own or one you raised like it's your own, it's hard to put yourself in a parents shoes. I'll be the first to say, I on more than one occasion criticized parents for allowing a child to get hurt or leave their kid in the car. I take off one of my kids shoes every time I put him in the truck and keep it in my lap. I do this not to forget he's back there. My eyes were opened when I pulled in the gym parking lot and heard him crinkling a water bottle. Only then was I like, "oh my, I almost forgot he was back there" when I was supposed to be taking him to his gran's house.

Simply put, parenting is the most rewarding, stressful, happy and scary time of my life. Anymore, I just pray for the parents in these tragedies and my heart physically hurts when I imagine what it would be like if my little Ryne got taken by the alligator or kidnapped, etc.

I take off one of my kids shoes every time I put him in the truck and keep it in my lap. I do this not to forget he's back there. My eyes were opened when I pulled in the gym parking lot and heard him crinkling a water bottle. Only then was I like, "oh my, I almost forgot he was back there" when I was supposed to be taking him to his gran's house.

:clap: :thumb: Love this idea! Us parents can learn from each other. My youngest is 8, so I am past the strapping into the car seat stage. But hey--surely one of the hoops5 will make me a grandparent some day, and this is some good advice.

:clap: :thumb: Love this idea! Us parents can learn from each other. My youngest is 8, so I am past the strapping into the car seat stage. But hey--surely one of the hoops5 will make me a grandparent some day, and this is some good advice.

That is a great idea by Rocket.

He's 19 months old and quiet usually in the truck. I'll be glad when he's big enough where this isn't necessary but I'm sure another ginger will come along before then :lol2:

He's 19 months old and quiet usually in the truck. I'll be glad when he's big enough where this isn't necessary but I'm sure another ginger will come along before then :lol2:

Can't tell you how many times I've headed to work and my 11 year old daughter has to remind me to take her to school. I turn the wrong way out of the neighborhood and she's like "forgot again didn't you?".

Can't tell you how many times I've headed to work and my 11 year old daughter has to remind me to take her to school. I turn the wrong way out of the neighborhood and she's like "forgot again didn't you?".

I used to think the parents did it on purpose, but man it's so easy to zone out cause you have a million things on your mind when you're a grown up and actually have responsibilities.

So I have shared this story several times---the reason why we always leave a car window open even after the car is in the garage with garage door down.

I was at home, it was summer and probably 85 degrees outside. My little guy was playing with his older sibs and doing his thing. Some time passed and I called for him with no response. Total panic ensued and it was an all out man hunt with neighbors to find him. All the neighbors were looking. I was just about to call 911, thinking that a passing car had snatched him.

Somehow by the grace of God, I walked into my garage. Garage doors closed, my van parked inside. Little guy was in there making whimpering sounds. Dripping with sweat. He went into my car to get gum---because he knows I have gum in my car. But he somehow locked himself inside and could not get out.

Judge away. But to this day, even when it is cold outside, I always leave a window open when the car is in the garage.

So I have shared this story several times---the reason why we always leave a car window open even after the car is in the garage with garage door down.

I was at home, it was summer and probably 85 degrees outside. My little guy was playing with his older sibs and doing his thing. Some time passed and I called for him with no response. Total panic ensued and it was an all out man hunt with neighbors to find him. All the neighbors were looking. I was just about to call 911, thinking that a passing car had snatched him.

Somehow by the grace of God, I walked into my garage. Garage doors closed, my van parked inside. Little guy was in there making whimpering sounds. Dripping with sweat. He went into my car to get gum---because he knows I have gum in my car. But he somehow locked himself inside and could not get out.

Judge away. But to this day, even when it is cold outside, I always leave a window open when the car is in the garage.

Did that with a dog once. Parked in driveway and carrying in groceries. Couldn't find our dog anywhere. Yelled for him, walked the street. Finally got in van to drive neighborhood and he had jumped in while we were unloading groceries and climbed into front seat and we didn't notice. Not the same as a child, but when you treat your animals like children, pretty close.

I'm guessing most parents have a story or two. Mine is when both my father and I lost my oldest son (who was 3 at the time) on a large ferry boat. My Dad was distracted with my youngest, who was a baby, and I had turned around to throw away some trash...didn't walk away...turned around and took two steps to the trash can. When I turned back around my kid was gone. Took us 10 minutes to find him.

This is a story from today with pretty close to the same scenario except the child didn't make it. So sad.

3-year-old boy dies inside hot car in Houston - CNN.com

A 3-year-old boy who wandered into a car while looking for his toy died after being unable to get out of the vehicle, according to authorities.

On Thursday, the boy entered the car parked near a house to retrieve his toy from the back seat, said Kese Smith, spokesperson of the Houston Police Department. He entered through the unlocked front door and climbed into the back seat.

Once he got into the back seat, he couldn't open the back door because the child protective locks were on, Smith said.

It was extremely hot in Houston on Thursday, with a high of 100 degrees.

Family members found the boy in the back of the car, about 30 to 45 minutes after he was last seen. He was in cardiac arrest and a family member began performing CPR.

The original post is fairly interesting. It seems to me there was a different perception when these sorts of tragic accidents occurred in decades past, at least in hindsight. It seems the major reaction was shock and sympathy. Today the tenor is harsh, with surgically precise criticism.

Was the author wrong about how things used to be? Were people muttering these harsher things under there breathe, just with no digital megaphone to amplify them? Or have we really changed this much?

This is where I'm at with most of these types of things. People have always been like this. Social media has just given us the platform to broadcast the venom to the world.

This is a story from today with pretty close to the same scenario except the child didn't make it. So sad.

3-year-old boy dies inside hot car in Houston - CNN.com

A 3-year-old boy who wandered into a car while looking for his toy died after being unable to get out of the vehicle, according to authorities.

On Thursday, the boy entered the car parked near a house to retrieve his toy from the back seat, said Kese Smith, spokesperson of the Houston Police Department. He entered through the unlocked front door and climbed into the back seat.

Once he got into the back seat, he couldn't open the back door because the child protective locks were on, Smith said.

It was extremely hot in Houston on Thursday, with a high of 100 degrees.

Family members found the boy in the back of the car, about 30 to 45 minutes after he was last seen. He was in cardiac arrest and a family member began performing CPR.

Tragic news again. 3-year-old twins climbed into pick up truck while mom was asleep. For all of our expectant BGP peeps: Get locks on your doors. Even chimes to alert when the door opens. We never had an issue with wandering kids with the first 4. That 5th one had his own agenda and would frequently go out the front door. We installed a latch way up high.

3-year old twins die in hot pickup truck | FOX25

An investigation is underway after the death of 3-year-old twins in Bossier City, Louisiana, just outside Shreveport.

Police said the twins, a boy and a girl identified as Oliver and Aria Orr, were found unresponsive in a pickup truck parked at their home.

"Neighbors tell police the children’s mother, who was home at the time, had contacted them saying she was looking for the children," according to a statement from the Bossier City Police Department.

KALB reported that the mother, Alisha Orr, said she laid down before the twins got out of their home.

Neighbor Rhonda Matthews said Alisha Orr looked in the backyard, and when she found Aria in the car, she screamed. They then found Oliver in the back of the truck.

Police were called to the home after Matthews attempted CPR on both children to no avail.

The Shreveport Times reported that the father of the twins, Travis Orr, is a deputy with the Bossier Parish Sheriff's Office.

"We are saddened by the tragic loss suffered by the Orr family, and our hearts are heavy," Bossier Sheriff Julian Whittington said in a statement on Facebook. "This is a very difficult time, but it’s even more so, as they are a part of our Bossier Sheriff’s Office family. Please keep Deputy Travis Orr and his family in your thoughts and prayers."

Authorities said the twins may have been in the car for two or three hours.

Cause of death has yet to be determined, but Bossier City Public Information Officer Mark Natale said the deaths may be heat-related, according to preliminary autopsy results.

Natale said there were no signs of trauma to the children and the investigation will determine how the children got into the truck.