Blaming and Shaming Other Parents

hoops5

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So does my opinion magically become more valid six months from now? Or is there like a waiting period that I have to get through before I get to join the club?

I'm not trying to be smart, or difficult. I'm seriously trying to a) understand why me not having kids makes my opinion invalid, and b) does it go from invalid to valid overnight once I do?

You will know. Pretty instant. I didn't want to leave the hospital day 2 with my 1st child b/c I thought I would break him. Child 2 I was ready to leave an hour after he was born b/c I was ready and prepared.

Clyde, to me wasn't saying you could never ever have a clue what it's like unless you were a parent. Obviously now he realized there are a few exceptions, but there are only a few. His point was correct though. You see things far differently than most single people once you have a child. I find myself guilty of these exact reactions the author is mentioning in here right when the story breaks. Then after I calm down some I realize holy cow I don't watch my kids every second. You can't. You just have to really hope none of these really freak accidents happen to you or a loved one.

One other thing most of the strongest reactions on stories like this are from non parents. The strongest reactions from most parents are this would never happen to my kid, or if it did the gorilla or gator would have had to eat me first. I've been guilty of both. I'd hope I was fighting that gorilla or gator to a certain death to save my child. You just never know what you would really do.

Yep. It's such a weak cop-out.

I wonder how many people who give their opinions about music have ever done it for a living? If I were you, I'd discount every one of their opinions because they aren't musicians.

Not a fair comparison. Everybody listens to music, and can have an opinion. We know what we like and don't like. Musicians have a better appreciation of it for sure. Not everyone experiences parenting. Not the same thing by a long shot.

I was a perfect parent until I became one.

Girlfriend and I have lived together for 2.5 years. We aren't married for our own unique reasons.

Her two teenage daughters live with us. Do I get a card?

You get a card for dealing with three women all the time.

The original post is fairly interesting. It seems to me there was a different perception when these sorts of tragic accidents occurred in decades past, at least in hindsight. It seems the major reaction was shock and sympathy. Today the tenor is harsh, with surgically precise criticism.

Was the author wrong about how things used to be? Were people muttering these harsher things under there breathe, just with no digital megaphone to amplify them? Or have we really changed this much?

The original post is fairly interesting. It seems to me there was a different perception when these sorts of tragic accidents occurred in decades past, at least in hindsight. It seems the major reaction was shock and sympathy. Today the tenor is harsh, with surgically precise criticism.

Was the author wrong about how things used to be? Were people muttering these harsher things under there breathe, just with no digital megaphone to amplify them? Or have we really changed this much?

The other difference in comparing some of these (both past and recent) is that when there's a corporate-being involved...there seems to be the same knee-jerk reaction by the other side, as well...blame the zoo, blame Disney. In the earlier instances, there were no "sides". Whether that was the reason why the parents didn't face the same scrutiny that the recent ones have, I don't know.

Girlfriend and I have lived together for 2.5 years. We aren't married for our own unique reasons. Her two teenage daughters live with us. Do I get a card?

Two teenage girls?

Yeah.

You're in.

:lol2: :lol2: Hopefully it comes with a beer of the month membership. Me and the ol mutt are woefully outnumbered. I'm not even sure he is on my side anymore.

Now I know why I get so many updates on Twitter about your beer levels.

The original post is fairly interesting. It seems to me there was a different perception when these sorts of tragic accidents occurred in decades past' date=' at least in hindsight. It seems the major reaction was shock and sympathy. Today the tenor is harsh, with surgically precise criticism. Was the author wrong about how things used to be? Were people muttering these harsher things under there breathe, just with no digital megaphone to amplify them? Or have we really changed this much?[/quote']

We haven't changed.

We haven't changed.

I wonder if you're right... but, I can't help feel like there is less “mercy” in today’s world… I don’t know why.

I also agree with the social media megaphone LOL; social media is awesome but yet somehow brings out the worst in us.

Random thoughts that I love to discuss over cold beer, outside at night, with good friends.